Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is using spot tails on a jig head still a good bet for bass when fishing w/ bobbers and kids?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What------no one likes to help kids?
Thanks for nothing

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE(kingkrm @ Jun 11 2009, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is using spot tails on a jig head still a good bet for bass when fishing w/ bobbers and kids?

It seems the only thing ive found fooling around in my canal for largies that they CANNOT lay off is a wacky rigged Senko. You could rig it on a slip bobber i guess if you wanted to use a bobber but just wacky rig it and toss it out let it sink and if there is a bass within 10 feet of it they come flying in.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
QUOTE(---FISHON--- @ Jun 11 2009, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(kingkrm @ Jun 11 2009, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is using spot tails on a jig head still a good bet for bass when fishing w/ bobbers and kids?

It seems the only thing ive found fooling around in my canal for largies that they CANNOT lay off is a wacky rigged Senko. You could rig it on a slip bobber i guess if you wanted to use a bobber but just wacky rig it and toss it out let it sink and if there is a bass within 10 feet of it they come flying in.

Thats pretty much my go to lure for the inland lakes i fish by my aunts cottage. Work great for bass, pike, and anything else that can fit its mouth around it, lol. Guy caught a 38 inch tiger muskie two weeks ago off of a wacky rigged senko by my aunts cottage. Im hoping to get me one this weekend, they stocked over 100 of em.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
I agree with the wacky-rigged senko (straight plastic worm). I would do it on a drop-shot to get it down to the fish quicker, yet keep it off the bottom. I would also use a 4" Yum Dinger. The Dinger is tougher than a Senko (yet still very flexible) and will last longer when wacky-rigged. A 4" bait will also get more bites than a 5" bait.

I'm taking my 6 year old out this weekend. He will have a 4" Yum Dinger in watermelon/gold rigged wacky on a drop-shot, using a 5 1/2 ft rod and 6lb. FireLine. Can't miss.

If you're going to use live bait for bass now, or any other time you plan on releasing them, do not use an aberdeen style hook. Using a circle hook will decrease the likelyhood of gut hooking the fish, especially with kids that may not be quick with the hook-set.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(Dirty @ Jun 12 2009, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>pictures of this set up for us newbs? never heard of wacky rig or any thing of the sort.

i dont have a pic but wacky rig is you hook the worm in the middle so it hangs from the hook evenly on both sides so it makes 2 tails

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
If you're going to use live bait for bass now, or any other time you plan on releasing them, do not use an aberdeen style hook. Using a circle hook will decrease the likelyhood of gut hooking the fish, especially with kids that may not be quick with the hook-set.

if you do go circle hooks do not set hook just reel in and keep tension on the fish, circle hooks actually easier for kids cause they can just reel and the hook sets itself. setting the hook will most likely yank the hook out of the fishs mouth was a habit i had to beak when i first switched to them for live bait. old habits die hard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts