Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Steve,

I'll be there again for my third time. I wouldn't miss it. I still question the wisdom of holding it on the Fourth of July weekend though.
It's our biggest summer holiday. GM is pretty much on vacation across the board for two weeks; the Downtown Detroit fireworks on the river (enough said); short workweeks putting people on the water earlier. Basically lot's of traffic for practice week as well as for the tournament. All of this can bring a different set of strategies, especially in logistics.

I'll be there anyway but still I wonder....

On another note, when are they going to update the website with the pictures from last year's Open?

Regards,

Dave

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Are the 04' dates official? I didn't see them on the site...

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Thanks. I assume I'm looking at the 04' schedule. Not really clear.

July 2nd-4th 2004

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to mislead you guys, you are correct it is July 2-4, 2004. In the past, talk was the American Anglers didn't come because of the conflict, so they moved the date up, they couldn't make it later because of the other tours. they run. I guess one way or the other, someone will be disappointed.

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a sidebar, I just seen the post about Fish Mortality, for those who haven't fished the Canadian Open, there weigh in system, has to be the best, I've ever seen.

As the boat come back, they are given a flight number
The flight of 8 boats are called in and anglers then transfer the fish from their livewell into a bag of fresh lake water.
They then take the fish to the trough and then transfer them into a covered basket submerged in aerated lake water
The angler then moves the basket along the trough until it his/her turn on stage
The basket is then drained and transfered up on stage
The basket of fish is then dumped into another basket which is already submerged in water and the fish are then weigh submerged in water, they rarely jump and they are happy, therefore less stress, less mortality.
Everybody goes home happy.
Before each basket of fish are weighed, the scale is zeroed.

Steve

·
Registered
320 Posts
Steve,

I have to agree. This is the best system I have ever seen. The one benefit you didn't mention is that the fish don't struggle around in the weigh basket. When you place them in the weigh tank they settle right down instead of flopping around. They are in their natural element (water), and the weigh displacement on the fish is the same as what they normally feel. The fish are relaxed, not stressed. They settle right down and lazily fin around in the basket. The weight settles down almost immediately instead of having the reading on the scale bounce up and down. You can get an accurate weight more quickly and thus speed up the entire weigh-in process. The end result is that the fish spend less time out of the water or in low oxygen content "carrying" tanks. Almost no time at all in a bag.

For anyone who is not familiar with it, you will certainly be impressed. I believe this will go across the board in larger tournaments eventually. Come on out and see how it works at the weigh-in next year. It really is slick.

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have not fished the Canadian Pro/Am. I was considering it in 2004 on the Amateur side. Can one fish the Amateur side if they fish the Pro side in the BFL?

Those of you who have fished the tournament, I would appreicate hearing what you like and dislike about this tournament.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Steve,
What I didn't like was the treatment I received when entering. I was first meet by someone telling me that I haven't paid yet. I told them I was paid in full early enough to be in their armature sponsors drawing why does it show me as not paid? Now this tells me I wasn't entered in that drawing. Then I was told I have to leave a credit card imprint and they wouldn't cash it until after the tournament when we could talk and straighten things out. This was a lie because it was run immediately (this was my checking account) and could have really messed-up my checking account. Then when they did put the money back I was shorted around 40 bucks. They were cooperative in trying to replace that but I was still shorted a few bucks (exchange rate?).

Then the next person (after taking my money for the second time) said I wasn't allowed to draw a pro because I was the 76th(?) armature and they expected 79 pros but only 75 signed in so I had to wait. Meanwhile I'm talking to the people at my table and learned another armature never left a deposit/nothing until he walked in the door. He wasn't planning on attending (attended the previous year) and he received a confirmation letter a week before and decided to attend. He was allowed to pay on the spot and draw his pro. This is B.S. Nobody should be confirmed w/o a deposit. Here I paid twice. If no other pro signed up the last three guys would have been out and this guy (and probably others would have been in). I never mentioned any of this to Dan because he had much bigger fish to tackle with the weather conditions. I wasn't happy being lied too nor was I happy being behind people that haven't even paid a dime yet.

Other than that I like the tournament. The format is great. I like the director (Dan) and the Canadians are a blast. I think the 450.00 for the armature side is a little steep considering the prizes. Only the top two make out. Maybe they could have a grand prize and more cash prizes for the top 20 instead of a gear bag and some goodies we will probably never use. I would recommend it as it was a good experience. I hope they work on their confirmations.

I will give them a few years to get some bugs straightened out before I think about returning. But if it is on the 4th of July I'll have to skip it as that is reserved for family.
Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can assure you Rob that all amateurs had at least a deposit in order to be entered. The fact that you feel you were not serviced concerns me as the operation for that event is quite large and I cannot have my hands on every aspect. The record of payment was our mistake and we apologize for that. We could not confirm your original payment from the site, hence the additional fee, and that was resolved afterwards from checking records at the office.
I do know that you were in the draw from months before. The only record not showing was when we were at the registration site. Please let me know if there is anything else we could do for you. You can contact me at the office at 1 519 471 8286.

I can also assure you that I am always willing to please and improve with any issues pertaining to this event. Anyone that has fished this event will agree that it is one of the finest events around. In 2003 we paid back over 200% in cash and prizes!! I do not wish to make this sound as advertorial content, so please contact the office for any further questions.

Dan Carraro,President
Canadian Fising Tour

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Dan Carraro @ Dec 11 2003, 05:33 PM)I can assure you Rob that all amateurs had at least a deposit in order to be entered. The fact that you feel you were not serviced concerns me as the operation for that event is quite large and I cannot have my hands on every aspect. The record of payment was our mistake and we apologize for that. We could not confirm your original payment from the site, hence the additional fee, and that was resolved afterwards from checking records at the office.
I do know that you were in the draw from months before. The only record not showing was when we were at the registration site. Please let me know if there is anything else we could do for you. You can contact me at the office at 1 519 471 8286.

I can also assure you that I am always willing to please and improve with any issues pertaining to this event. Anyone that has fished this event will agree that it is one of the finest events around. In 2003 we paid back over 200% in cash and prizes!! I do not wish to make this sound as advertorial content, so please contact the office for any further questions.

Dan Carraro,President
Canadian Fising Tour
Now that is what I call caring about your anglers....great job Dan...looking forward to seeing you again at Bass Pro!

Mini

1 - 12 of 12 Posts