Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have seen a few people doing this at my marina kids and parents. cant be clean or safe i wouldnt think.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Our kids were swimming in JB last weeked. Was reluctant at first, the idea sat and then Started to wonder about all the things that have been dumped throughout the years and with sewage being dumped last weekend. We pulled them out and dinghed to Fords cove!

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
yikes!

please don't swim in ford's cove either. nasty.

just south of ford's cove (gaukler pointe) is a great place to anchor and swim. it's between the yacht club (with the tall tower) and ford's cove.

the sand is real clean and soft.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I know of WAY TOO MANY BOATS (sad to say) that pump out when 'the coast is clear'......

I didnt know until last weekend that the Moot was pretty bad. I guess it's just a matter of opinion.
I did learn one thing that has turned out to be true for at least the few men that i asked. Men cant walk and pee at the same time in the water. So when i asked a couple guys that were just standing there (not together) for a minute with that 'i'm not doing anything' look on their face, if they were peeing. They asked "how'd you know!"

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Absolutely not - unclean and unsafe. Most marinas strictly forbid swimming in their canals.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
hell no I don't swim at my Marina. (Beacon Cove)

most Marinas are pretty nasty.

I heard not to swim at Ford Cove too.

Thants pretty sick about folks pumping out in the lake. geez, its only $5-$10 for a pumpout.. and you can get a $99 season pass at Beacon Cove if you really use the head that much.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
any tricks to getting in there?
I heard some areas down there have rocks to worry about... like getting into Fords Cove.

·
LSCN Sponsor
283 Posts
Please do NOT swim in marinas.
most marina parking lots drain directly into the water.
that means road grime, and all the stuff from bottom cleaning and re-painting goes in the water. The chemicals in bottom paint to say the least is nasty stuff!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used to swim in my parents Marina (sassy in Algonac) all the time. Can't be any worse than the moot. Plus no cig butts or broken glass to worry about. I believe most Marina say no swiming because of liability of people gettong run over and blocking boat traffic.

As for the people that pump out in the lake. Maybe someone should pump out in their beds.

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
QUOTE(spacelord @ Aug 21 2003, 03:51 PM)any tricks to getting in there?
I heard some areas down there have rocks to worry about... like getting into Fords Cove.
ford cove is a little tricky but i've been in there quite a few times this year without any problems. i use the depth contours on my gps as a guide. my buddy broke a prop there last year though so be careful.

as far as the swim area just south of the cove, there are no rocks and it gets shallow very gradually so it's pretty easy to anchor there. you'll usually see a few boats anchored there if you go on the weekend.

best,
gus

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
We used to park our boat in that little bay behind Metro and I saw people swimming there all the time. I did once and it seemed fine, I did it in the middle though, not like by the sea walls or anything.

Don't swim in canals in St. Clair Shores, there are some that are contaminated with PCBS. I don't know exactly which ones they are, I think they are north of 10 mile, but I just don't swim in any of them

·
Registered
184 Posts
QUOTE(JABBERJAWZ @ Aug 21 2003, 01:27 PM)The only time I ever swam in my marina is when I fell in. I wouldn't do it by choice.
LOL. My answer was "not on purpose"

·
Registered
585 Posts
QUOTE(gcalan @ Aug 21 2003, 10:48 AM)here's a map of a cool place to swim...
Is this considered Fords Cove? Not familiar with all the coves yet.
This would be perfect and close for us since we are at 9 mile.

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
this swim area (in above drawing w/arrow) is NOT ford cove.

ford cove is shown in this drawing with the circle.

again, i wouldn't swim in ford cove as the water is stagnat and dirty. it is pretty back there and i would recommend checking it out for that reason. watch the rocks!!

best,
gus

Attachments

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Be careful when swimming in Fords cove not sure but I`ve herd there is a undertow in Fords cove

1 - 20 of 29 Posts