Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
If i can't do this on the network delite this post.

Anyone that wants to have our DNR change the law to catch and release bass season on Lake St.Clair comment here and i'll send this to the DNR and ask them to change the laws. Maybe this will at least get some answer's to or request. I'll attach a letter at the end of this post before i send this to the DNR.

h2o<--is taking a step forward

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
It is not a rule. It is a law. That takes legislative action. I believe the DNR has to propose it, then the lawmakers in Lansing have to vote it.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Mini

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
To Whom it may concern:

My name is Greg and i would like you to consider changing the law on Lake St.Clair to catch and release bass season like the 6 other lakes you have the law for. I feel that it would only help the economy in the area and bring father's and son's together. There is great demand for this among the fishing community and there are just so many Bass in the lake we CAN'T KEEP THEM OFF while fishing for other species that are open for targeting. All were asking is to give us a chance at this. Maybe you could change the law for a few years and see how it goes.

thank you, greg

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Mini,
Right now it would seem that legislative action is required to add to the bass season. I'm still researching what other options might exist.

And yes, going through the legislature makes me anxious. It will be harder if the MDNR comes out strongly against all or parts, but we really have the final say if we want it enough.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would also like to have an early catch and release season. Not just for St Clair but the whole state. The facts prove it does not hurt the fishery and it would take some of the pressure off St. Clair and spread it around. Phil B

·
Registered
243 Posts
I guess i'm a little confused about the MDNR's actions lately. Maybe some of you could help me out.

Now, the DNR has a bass season to "protect " the fish while spawning, right? So i assume they take the same actions on all species that they want to "protect".

Why then did they close the Walleye season on Lake Erie during spawning , but leave the season open in the rivers where the spawning actually occurs? Do they (walleye) spawn differently?

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
I am happy to help out by signing my name. I don't fish for bass but I do accidently catch them from time to time. I always release the bass I catch. But, the perch & walleyes are all mine I tell ya, all mine. haha
Sorry, I just had to say that... haha

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Well, I throw back the vast majority of my walleye so it looks like a fair trade...

We all have to remember that bass aren't walleye which aren't pike which aren't musky. They all have different needs. I haven't read many studies on fish other than bass, so I can't say a whole lot more than what I've read in magazines and just being on the water a lot tells me there are a LOT of exceptions to what I've read for them too.

There's actually been some study (in Ontario believe it or not) about how successful a bass closure can be with a fixed opening date that claims to protect a moving occurrence (the spawn). The study basically found that this 'protection' was questionable at best as to whether or not it actually provided any long-term protection.

How many of us have seen bass on beds from opening day on in Michigan? The past two years in particular where a bedding bonanza on opening weekend over mid-Michigan and bass up North were just starting or weeks away yet.

I keep saying our present normal opener takes advantage of the spawn by opening while a large percentage of bass are shallow where most anglers fish and has for 30 years or more. Yet, our bass fishing is still some of the best anywhere because we have abundant clean water, great habitat and generally plenty of forage.

Even on St. Clair, I can still catch a bunch of smallies off beds on and after opening day most years and our own MDNR study found that there is no scientific support that St. Clair needs a later opener. I would not try to change the opening day anyway. It will work where it's at. I would be much more interested in trying to get Ontario to just match Michigan St. Clair catch-and-release regs, whatever those end up being. (Maybe Erie too.)

As far as the rest of Ontario, they do have cold infertile lakes that are much different than the average Michigan lake. That's a different story maybe, although they don't have any study results that those lakes actually need a closed season either. It's up to Ontario bass anglers what they want to do and their are other factors we don't have.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Dan,

I beleive Ontario is managed on a "zone" basis. The zone that includes St Clair/Erie is different from the others.

I will admit to cashing a check last year opening day on St Clair from ALL bedding fish. Come to think of it the year prior had some good ones still bedding.

There are fish bedding most full moons, whether it is a full reproduction or not, there are some on beds well into July on this pond.

Having the lake Manged by a an agree ment of Michigan and Ontario certainly would be nice. Lake Erie does it, but it takes funds that are not readily available.

Perhaps a special (yes more $$) permit to fish "Early Catch and Release" on Clair or all of Michigan could be purchased to help fund some of the negotiations/studies.....just another thought.

Mini

1 - 10 of 10 Posts