Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a 32' Sea ray Pachanga and they have one in stock. I'm looking for someone that could survey a boat in that area. This would be my first boat but not my first boating experience. Driven my brothers 17 footer in HeII, mi. and I've been first mate on my buddy's 22' mirage for 3 years and I'm ready to move up. Those 3-4 hour 6 foot wave trip's to put-it-in-bay are killer!
I'm pretty mechanically inclined (car's, bikes, sleds, etc) but really need someone that knows what to look for on a boat (wood rot, transom, stringers, cracks, signs of a bad upkeep, etc.).

Thanks ahead for any help,

signed the FNG.

·
12,052 Posts
I never heard of them. Is it a good deal or something? Just wondering why a pachanga?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking at late eighties to early nineties boats, 27-33ish range, twin big blocks, and the pachanga seems like a nice boat. A power cruiser thats more on the power side. They have an enclosed head and nice lounge area that I notice most boats in that length/price range might not have, but really I'm open to anything similiar and cost less then 35k(they're asking 34,900). Having not really checked out any boats yet it seems like a good place to start. This boat goes any where from 29k-50k, they built 'em 87-92ish.

G

·
The SAMS and NAMS websites both list surveyors in Cinci. You could also check their Kentucky rosters. If I were looking for a surveyor out of state, I might ask the dealer who they would recommend and find someone else. Some (?) dealers might (?) recommend one that will give them a good survey just to help the sale. Be especially wary if they say they've already had it surveyed or they have a surveyor at the marina who can do it for you.

http://www.namsurveyors.org/membership/usa.htm
http://www.marinesurvey.org/usa.html

I've used surveyors from both organizations and would lean towards a NAMS surveyor. I've heard they have a stricter policy regarding conflict of interest.

One concern I've heard about late 80's 32 Pachangas are that many were set up with the 454 mag/Alpha1 combo and the Alpha 1 drive doesn't handle the torque of the 454's very well. Good luck...

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks bill272 for all the good info!

The drive combo thing is definitely somthing to think about then. I've seen a one or two with the cobra/omc setup but yeah most have the alpha1, i think I seen some with the bravo's.

I'd like to find something this fall but more likely it'll be in the spring with a better down payment.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Hammer,

Pachanga is the name of Sea Ray's go fast line in the 80's. I have been led to believe Brunswick spun off the line into another company and the boats are now known as Powerquests. They did the same with Bayliner, now they are Trophy and Meridian boats. That's what I've been told anyway...

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is a topic I can definitely add some input into, as I owned an '87 Pachanga 32 for 5 years. It is a well built, but heavy boat. The ones built in '87 and '88 did come with 454 Alpha packages, but if you keep your right hand under control and do the proper maintenance, the drive will live just fine. I was told the rule was no "firewalling" the throttles from a dead start, and get off the throttles if the boat comes out of the water. I liked mine, but family issues dictated getting a larger cruiser.

My old one is still available at McMachen Marine in Mt. Clemens, if you would like a closer look at one without having to go to Ohio. They were asking $33,900 last I checked. I have no longer have any financial interest in it, just letting you know.

As for what became of the Pachanga, the Envision 32 Illusion has been mistaken for the Pachanga 32. I was told by someone at Sea Ray that after they discontinued the Pachanga, Taylor had a large supply of the windshields for the 32 and sold them to Envision, which basically designed their boat around the windshield. This is what I was told. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, thanks for the history lesson all. Yeah I kinda figured it was a heavy boat and with the alpha drives probably not the boat for me then for my first boat. And my buddy saying he's looking for 27' fountain/powerquest for next year to replace his mirage, I know I'd want to flatten out the sticks off the line way too much. Competion is murder on the wallet ain't it. I'll probably get something similar then since I dont have "family obligations".

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(damn yankee @ Sep 30 2003, 03:52 PM)Hammer,

Pachanga is the name of Sea Ray's go fast line in the 80's. I have been led to believe Brunswick spun off the line into another company and the boats are now known as Powerquests. They did the same with Bayliner, now they are Trophy and Meridian boats. That's what I've been told anyway...

Yeah, I know that, I was just curious. Searay dropped the pachanga when Brunswick bought Baja in the 90's. They dropped Baja's cruiser's they made from '92 until '95 because Searay makes cruisers and they dropped Searays 'offshore' boat because Baja makes offshores.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts