Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received quotes from AAA and State Farm. State Farm with both cars and the house is about $900 cheaper which is hard to believe.
Found significant difference on the rate for the Jeep Grand Cherokee of $500 a year before the multi car and house discounts.

I think AAA is definitely on the high side. Never had a problem with AAA in all the years but State Farm is very inviting.

Anyone had experience changing from AAA to State Farm? How is State Farm for service?
I am a long time AAA member but with this type of savings it is hard to pass up.

·
Registered
625 Posts
try allstate, you'll notice that allstates homeowners ins rates are 3x state farms rate. That's why I took my cars, and house to state farm, They wouldn't touch my boat though, I had that insured at allstate too but the frist year it went from $1200/yr to $1700/yr, and I just sucked it up, but then the next year they wanted to raise it from $1700/yr to $2850/yr. , and took away a ton of coverages on it, then they sent me a bill for my house that more than doubled a few weeks later, for no reason whatsoever! No claims on anything ever, just on time payments! It was crazy! BYE BYE S.O.B. ALLSTATE!!!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
State Farm is by for the cheapest for us... we have both trucks and our house on it... Tom was with AAA, and he came over to State Farm, so far so good. BUT if you are smart you will have a flood protection ($75.00, i think, added on to your homeowners) policy in case your basement floods.. we learned the hard way! GOod luck ;-)

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
AAA can be expensive UNLESS...you are a member of a credit union. Being a member offers group rates on insurance through AAA. In May I checked prices and no one could come close to AAA. We have the new house, cadillac, hyandi, wedding rings, other jewelry, and life insurance all for $215.00 per month, 11 months a year (1 month free). I think it's a smokin deal.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Oct 14 2003, 02:02 PM)AAA can be expensive UNLESS...you are a member of a credit union. Being a member offers group rates on insurance through AAA. In May I checked prices and no one could come close to AAA. We have the new house, cadillac, hyandi, wedding rings, other jewelry, and life insurance all for $215.00 per month, 11 months a year (1 month free). I think it's a smokin deal.
you got your life insurance thru them also.. hmmm... do they give you a discount for having so many things on one policy?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(manana-II @ Oct 14 2003, 02:12 PM)QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Oct 14 2003, 02:02 PM) AAA can be expensive UNLESS...you are a member of a credit union. Being a member offers group rates on insurance through AAA. In May I checked prices and no one could come close to AAA. We have the new house, cadillac, hyandi, wedding rings, other jewelry, and life insurance all for $215.00 per month, 11 months a year (1 month free). I think it's a smokin deal.
you got your life insurance thru them also.. hmmm... do they give you a discount for having so many things on one policy?
Oh yes! Each extra thing is another discount until 3 or 4 I think. BTW - I think flood insurance only covers your house if it floats away or something, that's what I heard anyways.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Oct 14 2003, 02:15 PM)QUOTE(manana-II @ Oct 14 2003, 02:12 PM)QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Oct 14 2003, 02:02 PM) AAA can be expensive UNLESS...you are a member of a credit union. Being a member offers group rates on insurance through AAA. In May I checked prices and no one could come close to AAA. We have the new house, cadillac, hyandi, wedding rings, other jewelry, and life insurance all for $215.00 per month, 11 months a year (1 month free). I think it's a smokin deal.
Oh yes! Each extra thing is another discount until 3 or 4 I think. BTW - I think flood insurance only covers your house if it floats away or something, that's what I heard anyways.
you are right flood insurance does only cover if your house floats away~ but they also have this one thing that we added on for a minimual fee that will (i think) cover our things we keep down stairs. I know we added it after the flood we had during the blackout! We got screwed without having it.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Greg,
We have our AAA thru Dearborn Federal CU (thru HFHS). If you don't have it thru them, put $10 in an account (have Judi do it) and see what your rates are then. They can do payroll deduction so it's relatively painless. Our house and boat are under Allstate. The rates went up, but at least they'll cover the boat. Not everyone will.

Good luck!
Christine

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
State Farm does the same with discounts the more you have through them. I think multi car was 20% and the house was another 10%.

Looks like I will be joining the wife at State Farm instead of AAA. The savings are too great to pass up.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
699 Posts
State Farm is the BEST!!! We have been with them for years. No one can match their prices, even on motorcycles. I have checked around before and have never found anyone better. We have all of our insurance with them. We use the one in Mt. Clemens their service is outstanding!!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(greg e @ Oct 14 2003, 02:39 PM)State Farm does the same with discounts the more you have through them. I think multi car was 20% and the house was another 10%.

Looks like I will be joining the wife at State Farm instead of AAA. The savings are too great to pass up.

Thanks for the input.
Being in a credit union with AAA is a discount on top of the other discounts. My husband switched everything over to AAA from State Farm, you have to check the prices with the credit union, multiple car, and property insurance all together. State Farm didn't come close to matching AAA's prices. I swear, it's all about the credit union..

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Anyone wanting to just ask questions with a state farm person pm me and I will put you in touch with Mrs Spider. She works for State Farm. We've been with them forever too. Way before she went to work for them. I have been with them since high school due to the multi vehicle discount that included motorcycles. I've had several claims filed with them both before and since she started working for them and they have always taken very good care of me.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
i have Progressive for my cars. I saved quite a bit over Allstate.

I had State Farm when I first turned 16, never had a claim. Later I heard that they jack the rates pretty badly if you file a claim. maybe that was just for young drivers..

·
Registered
991 Posts
By reading all this even though my rates have skyrocketed with State Farm, it sounds like the company to be with. Did check Boat US and Progressive for boat insurance, both wanted over $2500 a year and State Farm is at $730

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Hmmm... I just did this dance about a month ago. AAA was much cheaper than State Farm, and Allstate was the equivalent of prison rape, despite my having insurance with them for 20 years, 3 cars and the house with no claims. Thanks for nothing, Allstate.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I went to Allstate from State Farm for cheaper rates. I wonder if it's the particular office you go to. I can't change car insurance now anyway due to a little indiscretion last year
maybe in a couple of years.

I wonder how much of a discount we could get if we all went to the same company as a group, just a thought.

·
12,052 Posts
After having state farm for 10 years i went to AAA and saved $1000. for 3 cars. Then after another 10 years I went to nationwide and saved $900. for 3 cars. My house is with them also and you get a house/car discount. Boat is with Boat US. It does pay to shop around.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Switched over from Allstate to State Farm awile back. Just our cars and house though. Boat insurance was still a bit cheaper with Allstate. Except, we saved around $700 with the house and $200 with the cars with State Farm. We swithched form AAA to Allstate around four years ago for the same increase problem. Allstate was cheaper then now State Farm is.
After you stay with a company so long they allways start raising your rates. It makes perfect business scense for them because by the time you get fed up with the increases they already have a boat load of your money. Thats what Allstate is doing with home insurance now. They blamed the increases on the government and hard times. Allstate lied with this exuse saying all insurace companys rates are being raised at this time of depression. There making customers cover all there additional expenses so that there company does not take a hit money wise. Futhermore, there just giving themselves a raise.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
We've been with state farm for a long time now. Every once in a while, I shop around and no one seems to come close. Even Progressive was higher.

I've made several claims with them for the cars and the house, and it never seems to be a hassle. I've got several friends that are in the home repair business and they say that state farm is the easiest to deal with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts