Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been totally intrigued by the Bugatti Veyron. It is a 1001HP quad turbo production car that has a top speed of 253MPH. This car is just sick!! I like the style and the engineering that went into it is phenomenal. I can not get to youtube from here, but watched a bunch of clips on it last night. I have seen it many times on TV, but the more I learn about it, the more I like it.

1001HP
7 speed transmission
0 - 60 in 2.5 seconds and uses only 280HP
The rest of the HP is needed to climb to 253MPH
10 Radiators
At 253MPH it consumes all of its fuel in 12 minutes
At 253 MPH the tires will wear out in (if I remember correctly) 15 miles
There is a special key that unlocks the HP and automatically drops the car lower to the ground.

It was raced agains a GTR and the GTR had a running start, the Veyron started from a dead stop and it passed it like it was nothing

The only thing I have read that has beat it was the Hennesey Viper, but it was a short track and the Veyron was at 189MPH and the Viper was at 200MPH.

The car sells for around $1,000,000. I will never own one, but this thing is an awesome feat of engineering.

http://www.bugatti.com/en/veyron-16.4.html

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Gives ya the chills watching it. The way they edited the video during his speed run is damn cool. Crazy car! I heard Simon from American Idol has one...

Here's the link

·
Registered
625 Posts
yeah Top Gear is one of the absolute best shows on tv, that episode on the Veyron is awesome.

While they are talking about the car with thier typical "british superiority complex" attitude, they say "as a matter of fact" that to build the car, it actually costs Volkswagon $5 million per car... It was a total Engineering exercise, to see what you could produce with the best technology, if price was not considered at all. So this car is made, at a loss of $4million per car, & in todays market & financial conditions, most likely, a car like this will never be produced again.

It is sweet though!!

I hadnt heard about the convert... had to go look it up!!! yep i'll keep dreamin too... lol

Attachments

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I watch Top Gear quite frequently. I always get a kick out of the challenges they have to do. Hammond is by far the funniest on the show.

They do loose a lot of money on each one, but the transmission and other components are sold to the F1 market so the recoup through that as well. The car even has a warranty!! Yes, a warranty for 1001 HP

·
Registered
40 Posts
One of the discovery shows did a half hour bit on this. Seen the show more than once, so maybe you might see a re-run on it. They talk about the development, and how they derived of the car lowering down to keep it on the road. It's a fine piece of engineering for sure.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Car and Driver did a review of the new open top one and they didn't like it all that much due to turbo lag and transmission shifting issues, but hard not to think the car is cool. Even at that price they are loosing money on each one they sell.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
I do like the style of the car and think they did a nice job, but that's not *really* that hard when money is essentially "no object"

Give GM another 100K for the Vette and I'm sure they could make a PRODUCTION car that could compete with this.... look what they did with the current ZR-1 just by cracking the first 100K..... competes with cars FIVE TIMES as much... AND you can drive it everyday!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
In another forum I frequent some one posted pictures from their phone of one being delivered @ a dealer in troy.

Myself, I would have to hit a awfully big lotto jack pot before I purchased one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think that I know of a place that you can get a discount on one...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33906595/ns/us_news-weird_news/

LA MARQUE, Texas - A man blamed a low-flying pelican and a dropped cell phone for his veering his million-dollar sports car off a road and into a salt marsh near Galveston.

The accident happened about 3 p.m. Wednesday on the frontage road of Interstate 45 northbound in La Marque, about 35 miles southeast of Houston.The Lufkin, Texas, man told of driving his luxury, French-built Bugatti Veyron when the bird distracted him, said La Marque police Lt. Greg Gilchrist.

The motorist dropped his cell phone, reached to pick it up and veered off the road and into the salt marsh. The car was half-submerged in the brine about 20 feet from the road when police arrived.

Gilchrist said he doesn't know if the car was salvageable, but in his words, "Salt water isn't good for anything." He says the man, whose identity hasn't been released, was not injured.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
How about a cheap $280,000 Ferrari my bossed wrecked at 160mph???

Luckily he only had a concussion and a broken arm.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.