Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried carp shooting with a compound bow yesterday for the first time, and let me say, I definately have a new hobby. It was a blast! Anyway, I was wondering if you're allowed to do it in any or all of the Metroparks, since I always see tons of carp out there. The only thing I've found is on the DNR website it says you can do it on inland non-trout waters from May 1 - Aug. 15. Couldn't find anything about Metroparks specifically anywhere. If anyone could give me some info I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
QUOTE(Cons17 @ Jul 12 2009, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I tried carp shooting with a compound bow yesterday for the first time, and let me say, I definately have a new hobby. It was a blast! Anyway, I was wondering if you're allowed to do it in any or all of the Metroparks, since I always see tons of carp out there. The only thing I've found is on the DNR website it says you can do it on inland non-trout waters from May 1 - Aug. 15. Couldn't find anything about Metroparks specifically anywhere. If anyone could give me some info I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

As far as I know, yes, you can. I've seen many people in the north metro marsh at Metro Beach shooting them in the shallows back there without any troubles. Even when DNR, CO's were checking licenses. So don't quote me, but from what I have seen with my own eyes, I do believe it is legal according to what you stated up above.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Carp bow hunting was real big in this area years ago. The drain along Russo Hwy (M-59) along Selfridge Air Base, would have two or three hunters walking & shooting everyday. The only trouble was they left the dead Carp in the water and they would float out into the lake after a good rain.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
QUOTE(Cons17 @ Jul 12 2009, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I tried carp shooting with a compound bow yesterday for the first time, and let me say, I definately have a new hobby. It was a blast! Anyway, I was wondering if you're allowed to do it in any or all of the Metroparks, since I always see tons of carp out there. The only thing I've found is on the DNR website it says you can do it on inland non-trout waters from May 1 - Aug. 15. Couldn't find anything about Metroparks specifically anywhere. If anyone could give me some info I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

absolutely legal, used to shoot kensington all the time. the park rangers would evn let us know where there were seeing them spawn. just remember that most metroparks have park hours. I found this out the hard way shooting at night one time.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
last thursday in stoneycreek m.p. it was so calm you could see schools of carp every where sucking air at the surface. i could even sneek up to within shooting distance of them with a trolling motor

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Saw lots of them down by the south dam at stoney 2 weeks ago. Between the dam and the boat storage area. U could see 20 at a time the backs were sticking out of the water then they would drop a bit and U would see more backs pop up then go down. There were probably 50 minimum right in a 20 yard circle about 20 yards from shore just on the edge of the weeds. U could have shot right at the area and U would think every other shot U would get one. Would be nice to see somone get rid a bunch of them.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I almost got my bow confiscated and arrested in Stoney Creek for carp shooting! Only reason i got out of it was the guy i was with is a deputy for macomb. They said a Bow is a weapon, and there are no weapons allowed in the park. My arguement was that it is NOT a weapon, and is a fishing device used to legally target carp. The cop told me to explain that to the judge! As he took our IDs from us, he learned my buddy was law enforcement and told us not to do it again. I'd look into it further and maybe talk to the park office before shooting at stoney. Metro i know allows shooting, thats why I assumed stoney did. Big mistake!

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(BCBpIV @ Jul 13 2009, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I almost got my bow confiscated and arrested in Stoney Creek for carp shooting! Only reason i got out of it was the guy i was with is a deputy for macomb. They said a Bow is a weapon, and there are no weapons allowed in the park. My arguement was that it is NOT a weapon, and is a fishing device used to legally target carp. The cop told me to explain that to the judge! As he took our IDs from us, he learned my buddy was law enforcement and told us not to do it again. I'd look into it further and maybe talk to the park office before shooting at stoney. Metro i know allows shooting, thats why I assumed stoney did. Big mistake!
Stoney Creek is part of the Huron Clinton Metropark system, whatever rules apply at Matro should also apply at Stoney.
And yes concealed carry is legal at all of them, can you conceal that bow?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts