Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm an avid shore fisherman (no boat yet!! :-( ) I have seen tons of carp swimming around close to shore. Some look like they are monsters. So my question is... how do you catch them? I have heard corn works. Any other tips? Size of hook? Are they eatable? Hard to clean? Thanks for the tips in advance.

·
Registered
958 Posts
corn, dough balls, worms, cereal balls (wheaties, cornflakes, shredded wheat are a few options- get the cereal wet and work it into a ball until firm).
carp fishing can be a as basic or as complicated as you want. Here is a site dedicated to it and another

I'm not sure about eating them. My guess would be that it's not such a good option. Though I have heard of people smoking them after removing the the dark streak of meat in the middle of the filet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Cover your whole hook up with your bait of choice, corn, crawlers or both. Cast it afar and let it sit on the bottom, put some jingle bells on your tip so you can tell when they bite. I dont suggest doing this but when my friend was fishing for bass and pike last spring he snagged a 3 carp in the same day and it never happened again after that. It was strange since they were all in diffrent places. They really stack up at brandenburg park during the spring, i dont know if theyre still out there as heavily but itd be a good start.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Try bottom fishing in the Clinton River. I went out yesterday for an hour (only used one pole) and caught a large sheephead, and a 12 pound carp that put up an awesome fight!
And I wasn't plagued by the gobies and rock bass like I have been in the past.(likely due to the storm, and water clarity) I was bottom fishing with crawlers just west of Bridgeview on private property, but there are alot of places for the public to park and fish the Clinton.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey - I do a lot of carp fishing at some local lakes near my home in Hillsdale. I use a size 8 treble - it might seem small, but with the type of mouth carp have, once they take the bait, it sticks right in and doesn't let go! I just use a cheap can of sweet corn from Wal-Mart. If you're in an area with a bunch of them, just put a kernel of corn on each hook of the treble, add a split shot or two up the line about 18-24 inches, and toss it out. Be patient, sometimes it take a while, but if you hook into one its a blast! Also, if you want to speed up the action, throw out a handful of corn into the area you want to fish - that really brings them in! I attached a picture of the best one I caught last week (not at St. Clair though). Let us know if you have any luck!

Cloud Water Smile Sky Vertebrate

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ha speaking of magikarps, we seen a few big ones in an ankle deep puddle at this gravel pit earlier. They were an easy lunch for like 12 hawks so we put them back in the main lake. Heres one my buddy caught a couple weeks ago by the lottievue cut.

Food Plant Fish Thumb Sky

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.