Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to transport 2x12x16 foot long pressure treated boards?

I find it difficult getting into my slip at Beacon Cove and hope that these boards should be of great assitance.

At Belle Maer last year I had no probs, but had a much wider slip.. and better approach.

thanks

G

·
Hammer is in beacon. Ask him. He would be happy to let you know what he does. He's a great help for those type of questions.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess its not really Beacon Cove specific.. I see cheater boards (I don't know what else to call them.. and I've heard them called that before...) at alot of Marinas..

strapping something that heavy and long on top of a Jimmy just doesn't seem like a great idea.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you have a Jimmie, leave the back window open. Put the boards in as far as they will go (under the dash board if you have bucket seats and can use the space between the seats to pass them through). If they aren't balanced well enough, put something heavy on the front end to keep them from bouncing. If you can close the tailgate and only have the window open, that has them sticking up enough so you don't need a red flag. If you must open the tailgate, put a red flag on the back end of the boards.

After all of the boats are in, there are usually extra boards around at Beacon Cove. I see them moving from well to well all the time.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm, if I could only find some boards there.
Jimmys aren't that big. maybe 8-10 feet inside.. leaving 6-8 feet hanging out back. seems like alot hanging out the back.
I'll probably have to resort to this.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you are buying It from homedepot or lowies .Rent there truck 20 bucks ,I think 1 st hour ...Im at beacon cove.I wouldnt go around diffrent slips getting them , Ive seen boats going in July ...Dont forget this Is a late start for the season..Alot of boats still on land (LOL)

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya, I wouldn't go taking them unless they were by a dumpster or something.

aren't the Home Depot trucks not much bigger than pickups?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I'm at BCM (I-13) also, just got in the water Friday. Was thinkin i'd like them boards also... Good thing my well neighbor has them

·
12,052 Posts
I have seen those cheater boards there. I dont have any use for them myself though. I just bought a bunch of 16' moldings from home depot and tied them to the roof of my brothers van.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts