Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The White House is apparently unwilling or unable to release data on the CfC program, but Jalopnik put together some numbers.

QUOTEThe Ten Most Traded-In Vehicles (vehicle's EPA mileage)

1. 1998 Ford Explorer (14-17 mpg)

2. 1997 Ford Explorer (14-18 mpg)

3. 1996 Ford Explorer (14-18 mpg)

4. 1999 Ford Explorer (14-18 mpg)

5. Jeep Grand Cherokee

6. Jeep Cherokee

7. 1995 Ford Explorer (15-18 mpg)

8. 1994 Ford Explorer (15-18 mpg)

9. 1997 Ford Windstar (18 mpg)

10. 1999 Dodge Caravan (16-18 mpg)

The Ten Most Purchased Vehicles (vehicle's EPA mileage)

1. Ford Focus (27-28 mpg)

2. Honda Civic (24-42 mpg)

3. Toyota Corolla (25-30 mpg)

4. Toyota Prius (46 mpg)

5. Ford Escape (20-32 mpg)

6. Toyota Camry (23-34 mpg)

7. Dodge Caliber (22-27 mpg)

8. Hyundai Elantra (26-28 mpg)

9. Honda Fit (29-31 mpg)

10. Chevy Cobalt (25-30 mpg

I'm sure all the folks laid off from Ford, GM, and Chrysler are happy to see their tax dollars hard at work subsidizing the sales of Toyotas and Hondas.

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,425 Posts
I want to take advantage of this to get my kids out of THEIR Clunkers!
I've got to find the best/cheapest car(s) though.
We DO get a GM discount.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
i know why...

Ford Focus starts at $15,000
Honda Civic starts at $15,000
Honda Fit starts at $14,000
Toyota Corolla starts at $15,000
Toyota Prius starts at $22,000 but gets 48mpg
Hyundai Elantra starts at $14,000

People right now want CHEAP throw away vehicles that get good gas mileage.

Simple Economics

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Hey at least most of the cars in the Top Ten are made in America, by American workers, supporting American communities and all sold by American car dealers. Of the Honda Civics sold here, 95% are built in Indiana or Ontario, Canada, and all of the engines are made in the U.S. All of the Corollas sold in the U.S. are assembled by Toyota in either California or Ontario, almost all of the Camrys sold here are assembled at plants in Kentucky and Indiana.

And I think Ford is pretty darn thrilled that they have had their best July since 1997.

Also, the fuel economy of the vehicles bought under the program is 65% better than what was turned in.

Now, if only there was ONE friggin Chevy dealership in a 150 mile radius that has the Equinox (BTW, assembled in Mexico, transmission from Korea!), I could add my Explorer to the list of clunkers. If not, then another company will get my $$. But every dealership I spoke to was pretty thrilled that the program will most likely get extended

The US companies would have fared better than half if they made more than like TWO SUVs that qualified buyers like me (with 17mpg vehicles) could choose from

·
Registered
491 Posts
Interesting stats. I traded in my 98 Chevy Blazer with 248,946 miles on it--original motor and transmission and I know that car would have gone another year or so. Took the $4,500 and bought the wife a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid loaded with every option--it's an exceptional car that blows away the Prius IMO. I like it nearly as well as the STS Caddy I used to own. We had the deposit on the car and it was parked out back of the dealership 2 weeks before the program went into effect--easiest and best car deal I have ever made.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
QUOTE(Heavy Handed @ Aug 4 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Took the $4,500 and bought the wife a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid loaded with every option--it's an exceptional car that blows away the Prius IMO.

Outstanding choice!!! Great car, I really like the design of the 2010 Fusion - they did a killer job on it. +1 for Ford.

Dave- I dont know if you are going to have time for c4c. I bet this next little extension may not last long either.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Aug 4 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dave- I dont know if you are going to have time for c4c. I bet this next little extension may not last long either.

I'll have time, but if GM doesn't have a car to buy, another company will. OR, I'll buy the Equinox when it's available, GM is offering $2500 cash back, and then sell the Ford for $1500-$2000, so close enough to the $4500

·
Registered
491 Posts
QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Aug 4 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Outstanding choice!!! Great car, I really like the design of the 2010 Fusion - they did a killer job on it. +1 for Ford.

Thanks, We've been GM people our whole lives and still have a Trail Blazer EXT. First Ford we've owned but so far we love it.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
QUOTE(Heavy Handed @ Aug 4 2009, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Aug 4 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Outstanding choice!!! Great car, I really like the design of the 2010 Fusion - they did a killer job on it. +1 for Ford.

Thanks, We've been GM people our whole lives and still have a Trail Blazer EXT. First Ford we've owned but so far we love it.

Im with you. Always favored GM products but finding the Fords pretty attractive lately!

Hey, check out envoyforums.com & trailvoy.com for your TB EXT

·
Registered
491 Posts
QUOTE(Partner Ship @ Aug 4 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Aug 4 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dave- I dont know if you are going to have time for c4c. I bet this next little extension may not last long either.

I'll have time, but if GM doesn't have a car to buy, another company will. OR, I'll buy the Equinox when it's available, GM is offering $2500 cash back, and then sell the Ford for $1500-$2000, so close enough to the $4500

Chriznat is right. It would seem logical that the Feds give a little time for the dealerships to catch up. What you might do is track the bill online, that's what we did when we heard about it back in June. BTW, that Equinox is a nice vehicle.

·
Registered
491 Posts
QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Aug 4 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Heavy Handed @ Aug 4 2009, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Aug 4 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Outstanding choice!!! Great car, I really like the design of the 2010 Fusion - they did a killer job on it. +1 for Ford.

Im with you. Always favored GM products but finding the Fords pretty attractive lately!

Hey, check out envoyforums.com & trailvoy.com for your TB EXT

Think I might have seen it in your sig line a while back. Anyways, when I saw it I went there--cool site but ours is a grocery getter.

·
Registered
528 Posts
QUOTE(Heavy Handed @ Aug 4 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Aug 4 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Outstanding choice!!! Great car, I really like the design of the 2010 Fusion - they did a killer job on it. +1 for Ford.

Congrats on your first Ford. I am confident that it will be a fantastic car for you.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
<-----Am and always will be a Ford guy

Don't want to see the a$$ end of a foreign truck fall off while I'm towing my boat

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Looks like we have until about labor day now. And GM is doing pretty well . . .

Percentage of sales by manufacturer

Here's a breakdown by automaker on percentage of sales through the "Cash for Clunkers" program to date. Nearly half of the new vehicles purchased were from the Big Three. The Big Three's share in this program (45%) is equivalent to their overall share in the auto market (about 45%).
1.General Motors 18.7%
2.Toyota 17.9%
3.Ford 16.0%
4.Honda 11.6%
5.Chrysler 10.6%
6.Nissan 7.0%
7.Hyundai 6.6%
8.Kia 3.8%
9.Mazda 2.3%
10.Subaru 2.2%
11.Volkswagen 1.9%
12.Suzuki 0.4%
13.MINI 0.3%
14.Mitsubishi 0.3%
15.Smart 0.2%
15.Volvo 0.1%
17. All other 0.1%

·
Registered
491 Posts
QUOTE(CMB @ Aug 5 2009, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Heavy Handed @ Aug 4 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Aug 4 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Outstanding choice!!! Great car, I really like the design of the 2010 Fusion - they did a killer job on it. +1 for Ford.

Congrats on your first Ford. I am confident that it will be a fantastic car for you.

Lovin it so far but with the nav, sinc, bluetooth, jukebox, etc. it's taking a friggin PHD to learn the commands to get everything hooked up and working, but we're getting there. The thing is literally a computer with wheels.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm wondering how long it will take for brainiacs in Washington to figure out that 1. there will be a sales slump after the program ends, and 2. that poor people, those in the market for a $1K-3K car, are going to be adversely impacted by the outright removal of all these so-called "clunkers" from the national inventory - remember, these trade-in's are not being put back on a lot somewhere, they are effectively ruined.

Fearless prediction - someone in D.C. will "discover" this "injustice" and we'll end up paying for some new damn program to "correct" it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.