Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

casting anchor bay?

947 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  RICKJAMES 
#1 ·
Went out tues and got this pike and a large mouth casting 1 mile out from salt river. I was only out for about an hour and a half.

Some were saying its only going to get better from here on out. I usually put the boat away in Oct.

should I not?

just curious about the fishing because I have been getting a few here and there this year.

we went up to the loud dam this past weekend and couldnt keep the pike off....26 fish caught Friday and Sat evening.

I really like the pike....wish I could find the walleye. I cant troll with my boat. Anyone got any tips for the walleye in Anchor bay?

thanks.

Water Vertebrate Sky Fish Fisherman

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice pike. I used to fish that area alot 7-8' of water. Did good on nice pike, bass and seen alot of musky following the lures, caught a few smaller ones, the bigger ones always seemed to get off. Everytime I stop there now the water is really dirty and is usually full of floating weeds. Everyone says October is a good month, I hope so havent done to well in August.............Good Luck

#4 ·
Nice pike, good work and report. I like long line trolling bombers and thundersticks in the evening and after dark in the fall for eyes over the tops of weeds up in the shallows or also just casting for them. perch colored are always solid, some other favs are all white, wonderbread and glow. move around and look for the baitfish and you should be able to find a wolfpack of eyes. dont be afraid to go real shallow sometimes ive caught limits in 2-4 fow before where you could literally hear the thrashing of baitfish and walleyes just under the surface. I also like looking for any kinds of lights on shore luminating on the water, baitfish seem to be attracted to it. try pitching weedless jigheads with gulp minnows or other plastics in the pockets of weeds (obviously more of an evening thing before dark so you can see the pockets) and usually in deeper areas that you find heavy weeds. Ill rig a few rods with cranks and a few with jigs and start in the deeper weeds and work my way shallow making passes or even drifts if you have an inshore wind over different depths. switch between the two techniques until you can find one then work the area over well. hope this helps and good luck

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
That's a sweet pike.

I was catching nice pike like that up until Nov. 3rd & put the boat away after that. It's easier to stay out longer in the season if your boat has an outboard.

#6 ·
Good looking pike! Fall is great fishing! There's a bonus too: very few boats on the lake. I haven't fished Loud Dam in many years, but always had fun on smallies and pike up there. according to the DNR they have been planting Northern Musky in Loud (2006) and in Cook Dam (2006 and 2008). Might have to go up there in the spring. Thanks for the report!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.