Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Casting for the Muskie?

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Mike Tuomey 
#1 ·
Being new to this game of going after Muskie I need some advice on the specific equipment needed to CAST for the elusive whopper on LSC. I have a bunch of rods/reels/tackle etc. for all the other species.... now I need to move my LSC fishing up a notch
. From reading this forum for a while now, I know the Muskie experts are all here . Questions: (CASTING ONLY)

1) What length Rod & Action for muskie casting?
2) What type (spinning/baitcast) and size reel .
3) Leaders or not? If so, what kind.
4) Lures (specific names/sizes please)
5) Stupid question maybe.... live bait?... and how?

I'm sure this will help many others who want to try this on LSC. The easiest way to type a reply would probably be "cut & paste" questions 1-5 and then fill in the blank. Thanks for your help!!

Tom

Clarkston

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
1) What length Rod & Action for muskie casting?

At least a 7 footer all the way up to and including an 8.5 footer. Look at the All Star Big Game Series in the Heavy and Extra Heavy.

2) What type (spinning/baitcast) and size reel .

If you are adept at casting with a baitcaster, by all means use one. If not spinning isnt bad either. The gears and drag are generally better in a casting reel. I usually use a Shimano Calcutta 251 (left handed). I have it spooled with 20 pound BigGame or 17 pound XPS Signature Series Mono from Bass Pro Shops.

3) Leaders or not? If so, what kind.

Some do, some dont. Personal preference. I think it depends on how many lures you own. If you cant affored to lose many, by all means use a leader.

4) Lures (specific names/sizes please)

Rapala Sassy Shad, Red Eye 5 of diamonds, Brunner Runner hand tied bucktails, small household pets (hard to keep on the hook...lol), etc. I know there are many others here that have casted for Musky more than I, but I catch my share on bass baits.....just ask Bob (aka muskiebobsr).

5) Stupid question maybe.... live bait?... and how?

Dont know, I dont use the stuff. Unless you count reeling in a smallmouth and having it MUNCHED by Esox, better known as SPINECRUSHER....lol

Now I dont claim to be a Musky fisherman, but as I said, I catch my share. I do it while I am bass fishing....But I tell you after reading this board for as long as I have, and sharing a boat with Bob Brunner, I know enough to be dangerous!

Give muskiebobsr a PM or email. He guides on the lake in Anchor Bay and he has been fishing St Clair since 1927. I think he may be able to show/teach you how, it will be money well spent! You will probably see the largest fish swimming in Clair.

There is also a guide on the Canadian side who seems to have a knack for casting for BIG musky, Jon Bondy (aka DRP). If you are on that side of the lake, give him a PM or email. Good guy and a great fisherman.

Mini

#3 ·
I use a 7 1/2 foot medium heavy for almost all of my casting. The All Star is a very good rod fairly light weight and good power. I never feel that it is a good thing to use open face on Muskie. The drag systems just arenot built to stand up under Pulling Muskie out of the weeds. I have landed Sail Fish on them but heavy weed cover is a different story. I never use leaders except on Jerk Baits. I also use shorter rods on Jerk Baits. 6 1/2 foot is about ideal. A short stiff wire leader for the Jerks. Always use a Sampo or Trilene Ball Bearing Snap and Swivel as they are the best. The best body bait for casting for me in the last few years has been the Rapala Super Shad. The color's I use the most are Perch, Golden Shiner, Silver Shinerand Fire Tiger. If you can find a Blue Back with Silver Sides get it. It is great early and late season. Line size seeing as you are new to the Muskie scene should be at least 20 pound or more. I would say you should try 36 pound Stren Super Braid with a short 30 pound Mono leader. You will once in awhile lose a bait but not to often unless you try to cross their eyes on the Mono. I have always felt that if a big Pike or a Muslie doen't set the hook on the hit you can't set it anyhow. This is not a good photo but this is the size of fish you are after. Bob

Attachments

#4 ·
On the subject of muskie rods what should I look for in a genral purpose rod most of the one's that I have seen designated muskie seem like they are way to stiff.
I know muskie are fierce fighters and you need a beefery rod to do the job and a real stiff rod is good for jerk baits I was just wondering what I would look for in a general purpose rod for throwing mainly bucktails spoon and cranks .
Also has anyone tried an okuma real for muskie

#5 ·
Again.... GOTTA LOVE this site!!

Mini & Mr. Hall of Famer , Thanks,
I picked up everything I need today at Bass Pro except those lures called "Red Eye #5". Nobody in the store knew what the heck I was referring to. :unsure. In the Musky lure area I found a Red Eye brand lure that was silver and had a protruding plastic red eye stuck in the middle... Is this it? I did pick up some Rapala Super Shads and alot of "hardware" for trolling. $130 later, I'm ready to fish... I think.
Thanks Again

Tom
Clarkston

#6 ·
The Red Eye you are looking for is a 1R size. It is one ounce and has two red eyes. Two hooks the one on the front is a double and the back a treble. Take the front one off and slip a split ring over it and then but it back on the other split ring. This will stop it from opening up and pulling out. I lost a winning fish in a tournament because I forgot to do this. Brass is the best color and the five of diamonds is second. Bob Good Fishing

#7 ·
Get a 7 1/2 foot All Star in med hvy with a fairly fast tip. It will handle most buck tails and body baits. If you want to go first class get a custom built signiture on an All Star blank by Gregg Mombleau. He is GreggM up here on the sight. His rods are getting better and better everyine he builds. They are also all made as one of a kind no two alike. Bob

#9 ·
My style in casting for musky's is much like Bob Brunner.
Except I prefer open/face casting equipment: Ugly Stick/med-heavy action 7' with a Penn 4500s spinning reel. Filled with 25' Trilene Big Game line.

Mostly no leaders.

For lures go read Bob Brunners books as a starting point to fish Anchor Bay.
Also don't miss his lectures at the Outdoor Shows.

LURES:
1.large in-line spinners.(Brunner Runners,Gander Mtn.,Mepps...) in natural colors for starts.
2.med/lg sized body baits. (Rapallas,Bombers...)in Perch,Sucker,Firetiger.
3.med/lg sized spoons.(Red Eye,Daredevil....)brass,silver,gold.
4.Sampo snap swivels.
5.Titanium leaders as needed.

My last musky caught while casting was using in-line spinner (Gander Mtn BRASS/BLACK BUCKTAIL)about this time of year off Grass Island/N.Channel. As soon as I figure out posting a picture you'll see my fish.

Try going out with Bob Brunner, and just take notes.

Good Luck!

#10 ·
I just started musky fishing last year. Like John I do (or did) a lot of bass fishing and found a "school" of musky late last summer. For two weekends around labor day last year, I was bass fishing and put 7 musky in the boat, from 36" to 48", and ever since I have been hooked (pun intended). Since I still like to bass fish, I selected my tackle in an effort to fish for both esox and bass.

I use a 7 foot light-med one piece in-shore ugly stick with a open face spinning reel. All of my musky last year as well as my big fish this year have all hit on 6" jointed Rapalas, mostly fire tiger. The other musky taken in my boat were on Super Shads, and three with a very large spinner bait. I do use leaders since lures are expensive, tied to a 20 lbs original spider wire.

I have found that the 7 foot rod is not as sensitive as my "original" musky rod. I started using a Bass Pro Micro Lite, 6 foot rod (ultra light to light action). Same reel, same line size. Talk about sensitive, especially with the jointed baits.

Hope this helps.

#11 ·
I use a StCroix Premier series 7 1/2 foot MH rod coupled with the Garcia 6500 c4. The c4 is a high speed reel that works good both for bucktails, like the brunner runners, (finest bucktail made) as well as body baits like the super shad. I use 30lb Fireline with no leader. Same advice as Musky Bob gave and if you can`t swing a trip with the legend, try to get his musky books. Chock full of tips, locations, lures and not to mention a few good stories to go along with all the info.

#12 ·
I second the suggestion to contact GreggM for a custom All-Star rod. He will build it to fit your hands and other preferences. I saved up my pesos and got one this year. It is pure wunnerful to cast with bucktails and bodybaits, spoons, you name it. And it looks so-oo sweet, too.

I use C3 and C4 Abu Garcias with 17 - 20 lb test Trilene XL with Sampo coastlock snap swivels. Never, never, never is the drag close to tight. No leader. Bite-offs not a problem, though those lovelies sure like to throw my baits back at me. Oh well ... I'm sure somebody'll say I should go to a superline. Love that Trilene - mucho bites.

Good luck and don't catch 'em all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.