Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this should be in the tips section if not move to the fishing hole.
I made a 2 piece casting mold out of plaster to make some large grubs that I can't find. I still have some kinks to work out of it but I think it will work great after I fine tune it. It was pretty easy I just mixed up some plaster poured it into a plastic container about a 1/2 in thick lubed 2 exsiting grub I had with vaseline and placed them in the plaster along with 3 egg sinkers standing on end in various places to make a locating feature and let it harden. After the plaster hardened I removed the sinkers leaving 3 holes in the casting. I them lubed the entire surface with vaseline to act as a release agent then mixed up more plaster and poured another 1/2in over the the top. The plaster went into the 3 holes made by the sinkers forming locating pins for alignment of the 2 parts. After that hardened I pryed the 2 pieces apart and sealed it with some sealer that proved not to work so well it's one of the kinks I have to work out. After the casting hardened over night I formed the pour holes and vents.

To make the grubs I held the casting together with rubber bands and melted some old plastic worms I had (melting plastic smokes a lot so do that out side) and poured it into the mold let it cool then pull apart the castings and out came 2 grubs. Did not do to bad for a first time casting plastic. The next thing I'm going to do is make a grub out of modeling clay and make a original.

Food Font Cuisine Dish Ingredient

Horseshoe Wood Font Line Art

Attachments

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Great job Tim. Those should put some toads in the boat for you.
I had planned on making my own plastic this year but the money tree has been a little bare so I've put it off until next year.

What size grubs did you make? I know a place that makes various molds (aluminum) for soft plastics. They can even make you your own custom mold. A little pricey but they'll last a long time compared to the plaster molds.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
BTW, you can also use PAM or an oil based scent as a mold release instead of the vaseline.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Zib @ Aug 20 2009, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great job Tim. Those should put some toads in the boat for you.
I had planned on making my own plastic this year but the money tree has been a little bare so I've put it off until next year.

What size grubs did you make? I know a place that makes various molds (aluminum) for soft plastics. They can even make you your own custom mold. A little pricey but they'll last a long time compared to the plaster molds.

Those were 8in. grubs I made and I am looking for a plastic or aluminum mold to make 6in grubs. I can find grub molds up 5in but thats it. The plaster is good for personal use just to make a few at a time as you need them or if you have a soft plastic you can't find any more just cast it and make your own. Heck you can cut and glue or melt together different plastics to make your own "creature". Where is the place that makes the molds I would be intrested in finding out how much those molds cost. I am also trying to find a hard plastic to melt and make a mold like the plaster if something like that is available.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I make my own plastics and I use regular silicone you buy at wal-mart and mix with glycerine so it sets up all the way through. Add black acrylic paint so you know its mixed good. Makes a real easy to demold, shiny, and light mold. You still have to pour plaster over the silicone to level it out. Let me know if your interested, I'll give you the specifics on the ratios.

·
Registered
198 Posts
QUOTE(rustyman @ Aug 20 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I make my own plastics and I use regular silicone you buy at wal-mart and mix with glycerine so it sets up all the way through. Add black acrylic paint so you know its mixed good. Makes a real easy to demold, shiny, and light mold. You still have to pour plaster over the silicone to level it out. Let me know if your interested, I'll give you the specifics on the ratios.

I've had a few pms so here it is. Mix five drops of glycerin and one drop of black acrylic craft paint to one ounce of GE 100% silicone. I usually figure an ounce is one squeeze of the caulk gun. Get tongue depressers for stirring. You can thin it with xylene more but it weakens the final mold. Use a brush and stipple on the first thin coat making sure you get all the air bubbles out and get in to the details. Wait about an hour and check that its not tacky. A hair dryer will speed up the cure time. The next layer you can start spatulating it on with the depresser. When you've built up the mold with a few layers, place the molding in a box the same length and width and slightly deeper so you can dump plaster on top. Make sure your work area is level and you fill the box level. Don't use hotwater, it will set too fast. When its set in a couple hours, remove from the box and pull the silicone from the plaster, then remove the molded piece from the silicone. If you want to use clay, use sculpy, and only this kind. Form your piece on a metal sheet then bake it. Then coat with acrylic sealer. Then you start the silicone. Two sided baits are tricky but mold like the plaster, it just takes more time. I get my plastic from lurecraft, I think its 552, but thats for muskie not bass. P.S. WELL VENTILATED AREA..that sh!t stinks. Hope this helps you save on baits. Rusty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts