Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the date is fast approaching. We leave for our first boat trip to Cedar Point and PIB on monday the 21st.

Anyone else going to be down there?

Any pointers if we make the trip solo?

Thanks,
Pyrate (shaking at the helm) Jim

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
Pointers
1) if the weather is bad do not go! wait! (it will clear up)
2) I'm told to stay to the right side of the islands on your path. (Keeps you out of the way of the commercial fishing nets)
3) Bring beads to PIB
4) See the Pat Daily Show
5) @ PIB do not "tinkle" in the park
6) NO DRUGS! They have dogs that go up and down the docks and climb on boats sniffing everything.
7) Don't hide your stash in the cannons...locals check for goodies.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
File a float plan with a friend.

Include your route, cell phone number, VHF channel that you WILL monitor, boat name, MC#, the names of all aboard and your latest expected arrival time.

If you are running late contact who you filed with. If they don't here from you after a predetermined time they should try to contact you. If they can't get a hold of you then they contact the cost guard with all of the info.

DO NOT forget to check in when you make it safe and sound or if you deviate from the plan.

It helps out greatly if a search where needed.

Get a good weather forecast. NOAA or such. Forget the weather channel.

Have fun!!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I go that way many times a year. I agree with the other's comments.

For the fishing nets, you can cross over them on plane, they are usually 5-6' below the service. You will see a bunch on markers all over the water with milk jugs between. You can go around, but sometimes you will travel quite a distance before you're in the clear.

Make sure you watch the weather reports. West and South/West winds suck! North winds are ok because you can hug the Canadian coast. Two weeks ago had 3-4 heading to PNB and a steady 5' on the way back.

Don't drink on the docks or step foot outside the bars with a drink...you'll get a ticket. If you rent a golf cart and are drunk, you can get arrested for drunk driving. Very funny watching people getting tested besides a golf cart.

Don't borrow a jet ski and start jumping 5 foot waves at 40-50 mphs at an angle. Sprained my knee very bad and tore my MCL.
Still hurts a lot!!

Float plan or just letting people know you arrive safely and on time is a great idea. I usually call my parents when leaving and arriving.

If you can go with another boat, that would be recommended, just in case you have any mechanical problems. If you do have problems, some ports in Canada might be closer than US ports.

Hit the Round House for a good time and always save room for Frosty's Pizza.

·
AKA: Veronique
1,218 Posts
Hazy here,
Stay to the inside of the bouys going into the harbor at PIB, very shallow and rocky. I damaged my prop the first time in.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Sunrise and Sunset are when Lake Erie is the calmest. I've seen days with 4 - 5 footers calm down to glass at sunset. This is obviously cutting the daylight travelling short, but might be worth while if Erie is having one of her typical fits. Also, the area between South Bass / Kelley's Islands and the main land, can get quite chopped up and nasty with boat wake that is at least as bad as a Lake St Clair Saturday afternoon.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(Bayley @ Jul 8 2003, 04:13 PM)Sunrise and Sunset are when Lake Erie is the calmest. I've seen days with 4 - 5 footers calm down to glass at sunset. This is obviously cutting the daylight travelling short, but might be worth while if Erie is having one of her typical fits. Also, the area between South Bass / Kelley's Islands and the main land, can get quite chopped up and nasty with boat wake that is at least as bad as a Lake St Clair Saturday afternoon.
very good comment

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for all the tips. I will be printing out the topic before we leave and taking it with us.

Looks like we may leave a day early, sunday, and head down with a couple other boats. We'll stay at PIB the first night and over to CP later on monday. We may return a day earlier, but at least we will have experienced the trip down and will have it logged with GPS.

A Float Plan will be a must for sure.

Thanks again and Keep 'em coming.

Jim

·
Registered
387 Posts
The most nerve racking part of the trip for any first timer is crossing Erie. It's really no big deal at all. From the last marker out of the Detroit River Channel in the Lake, you might be able to see Perry's monument on a really clear day. I've seen it twice from the last marker. On an average day, you should be able to see the monument about half way between the two. Also, there is never any portions of the trip where you will lose sight of land. I've gone over on some pretty crappy days, and I've always been able to see the mainland and/or one of the Islands.

Getting from PIB to Cedar Point is pretty straight forward. The north east corner of the Island has some shallow shoals, but they are very well marked with buoys. The other route around the southern tip of the Island is a lot more open and free of shallows. Either way, you should be fine.

If you are leaving on Sunday, I would recommend leaving later in the afternoon from LSC. I've always found the evening hours to be the best for crossing Erie. The air is a little dryer, the light is behind you, and the winds are most often settled down to nothing. Also, by Sunday evening, you should be able to have you pick of places to dock on the Island. Also, if only staying for the night, a buoy is nice quiet alternative.

-Bayley

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bayley,
Thanks. It was like a big worry-some burden lifted reading your post. I was imagining about 2 hours of nothing but water in all directions. Doesnt sound too bad now.

Any idea on what the distance is from the entrance to Lk Erie from the Detroit River to PIB?

We might spend our first night with some friends on PIB instead of going straight to CP. What marina is considered "The City Docks"? I've gone through all the PIB web sites and cant find anything listed assuch. Figure it must be a "knickname"

Thanks again to everyone.

Jim

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Distance form the end of Detroit River to PNB is just about 30 miles. Middle Sister Island is pretty much half way at 15 miles. When I go to PNB, MSI is always on my starboard side and port when returning.

As soon as you enter the harbor, you will see the public docks straight ahead to the right of the Jet Express. Docks A and B are operated by PNB, Dock C some other group. During the time you are going, you will have many choices. My preference is to always be on the inside of A or on B dock. If the wind picks up, you don't want the boat rocking all night. Avoid outside of C and A!!!!

This link has good info:

http://www.put-in-bay.com/dockage.htm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts