Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm researching a planned trip to Cedar Pointe this summer and could use any pointers anyone might care to share. We'll be leaving from the Clinton River. I've cruised to Put-In-Bay, but never beyond. Any info on special hazards or where to stay (if other than the marina at the park) wold be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Cedar Point is about another 30 minutes from Put-In-Bay. So you are very close. Cedar Point does have a Marina. You can call and reserve a slip there. Very nice accomodations!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I believe they have about 100 slips that you can reserve, the price ranges from $45 for a 30ft slip to $80 for a 50 ft slip.
Here is the url for their marina http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/trips/marina.cfm

Make your reservations early, however we went down over 4th of July and I called 2 weeks before got put on the waiting list and got a call back for an open slip 3 days later.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Does anyone who has made this trip have a float plan available? We are looking at the same trip for the first time this summer and I am curious to find out once you leave the Detroit River to cross Erie, what is the distance to the Point marina? We'll be leaving from HCN and are set for the trip down the lake and through the Detroit River with plans of fueling up somewhere near Grosse Isle, thinking it will be the last chance until we hit the Point. Just wnat to make sure that we have enough go-go juice to make it, depending on water conditions and all the other varialbles.

Jim

G

·
We've made the trip the past two years. I don't have my charts handy, but I beleive that PIB is around 38 miles from the mouth of the Detroit River and Cedar Point is 15 miles past that. The only notable thing I remember is that when you approach Cedar Point from the north, you need to stay off to your port side until you reach the channel(which is right next to the park) as it shows it to be shallow if you just run straight into the center of the bay. I usually swing south of PIB, and watch out for the ferries. Also, that stretch between PIB and CP seems pretty well protected, but if the wind is coming from NE, it can get really rough.

When we go, we leave with a full tank and then top off again at a marina in the Trenton channel(east of Grosse Ile), which can be a little tricky if you aren't used to docking with a current. Just take it slow, and it might be easier to pass it and approach the dock against the current. We take the Det. River/Lk. St. Clair chart book and one labeled "West end of Lake Erie" which has detailed charts of the islands and Sandusky Bay as well as a sheet with the entire western end on it. The river chart will give you all of the buoys at the south end of Grosse Ile, and you want to stay in the channels there.

One other thing to note is that you have to make you reservations 48 hours in advance. If you call the day before, even if they have openings, they will not reserve one for you. Within 48 hours, it's all first come, first serve and that's a long way to go to find out there's nothing left.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Bill,

Thanks for the posting, you've answered the question I needed to know most and that was the distance. I'm picking up the needed charts this coming weekend and will be able to sit down and start plotting. Got to throw in a THANKS on the experience tips of getting into the refueling station in trenton as well as the particulars at CP. They'll come in handy, I promise.

Have a Happy New Year.

Jim

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Always a little nervous about going into new waters. It's nice to have a resource like this to get first hand info. So, Thanks to the founders too!!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
The gas dock Bill's referring to above is called "Trenton Riverside Marina" (see here: http://www.lakestclair.net/charts/dr/dr_03d.htm It's at or around West Road for a land frame of reference. From the water, you'll go down the Trenton Channel. You'll see the Grosse Ile Toll Bridge, McClouth Steel, then Riverside Hospital. The Marina is just beyond that. (If you hit Elizabeth park or the Grosse Ile Free Bridge, you've gone too far) The gas dock has rest rooms and a little party store if you need provisions.

On the way to or back from Cedar Point, check out the old Boblo Island. There are beautiful homes visible from the water. Once you get out on Lake Erie, keep an eye out for floating bleach bottles or antifreeze containers. They're used to mark gill nets and you don't want to be caught in the middle of one or ten.

Once at CP, we like to buy the 2-day park pass. It allows you unlimited access between the amusement park and the water park. The marina offers a complimentary shuttle to take you directly to the water park if you don't want to walk. (Last year we had a 7 and 5 year old. We ate breakfast in the boat, went to the amusement park until lunch. Ate lunch back at the boat and chilled out. Changed into swimsuits and went to the water park until 3 or 4. Came back to the boat, changed into dry clothes and went back to the amusement park.)

Marina people are allowed into the park a half hour before general admission. This is a plus if you want to ride the Millenium Force before the lines get too long. In fact, the Millenium Force is very close to the marina. We could hear it running, then the screams from the people on it until it stopped running (11:00-ish). The marina has a pool and hot tub and a couple of restaurants--we've been to the Boathouse.

Here's the website with marina information: http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/trips/marina.cfm

As I think of more pointers, I'll add them. Bon Voyage!

Christine

[ 12-30-2002, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: freckles ]

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
The total distance from the Clinton River to Cedar Point is about 100 miles. You do have to be careful to stay in the channel markers while passing between the islands by Put-In-Bay.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Hey Wiz,
I see what you mean about staying in the channel markers. I've never been down there (CP) by boat before and just picked up the 'Islands of Lake Erie' chart to get me through it. Looks like thats the hardest part of the trip.

Hey Falcon, any idea of when you might go? Let me know.

Jim

[ 01-04-2003, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: PyrateJim ]

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Nice thread! The first time I went to CP by boat was on my buddy's dad 45' Trojan, he let me captain Lake Erie as he walked around the boat with his screw driver tightening everything up. My buddy Billy was crashed below. Nothing like piloting a boat when your 17 and your best friend dad offers you a beer while on our way. That was the first time I used a Loran!

After settling in, we met the girls that worked the side marina gate and they slipped us in for free, after getting kicked off the go carts we hit a couple coasters and decided to head out for the night. After crashing the local under age bar with the girls we met, they walked us around CP at 3 am in the morning watching the work crews cleaning. We played with the Dolphins in the display tank and headed for the beach on the east side of the point, we got caught in a thunderstorm around 4 am. Nothing like running across a deserted CP at full speed during a rain storm. As soon as we got back to the boat, the chicks a few drinks and headed back to the dorms...... All in all it was one of my best times boating and one of the reasons I fell in love with this stuff.

Have fun!

G

·
Good point about the east end of PIB. That's why I usually swing south of the island if I'm not stopping there.

Two years ago when we went to Cedar Point, we left there with a 15-25 mph wind straight out of the NE. Well it took us an hour pounding thru 4-6+ waves to get to Put in Bay, and the last third of the trip we followed in a 40' cruiser's wake (who was throwing spray over the top of his flybridge). Well we got in and tied up and I went to thank the guy for knocking down the seas for us and he was bumming. When he got there, a dock guy told him to pull way into the first dock by the ferries and the owner asked if it had enough depth. They assured him it did and he ended up grounding his props on some rocks, bending them and stopping his engines immediately. He then had to call for a tow to Port Clinton for a haul out and repairs to whatever else might have been damaged, rudders, propshafts, struts, etc. Long story short(little late for that, I know), if you go with a big boat that draws a lot of water, avoid going too far down that dock.

[ 01-08-2003, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Bill272 ]

·
Registered
585 Posts
Lake Erie is not one to mess with. It can get pretty rough quickly. Last year we were down there for 4th of July and left CP just to cross the bay...thank goodness we were not going very far because there were 8-10ft swells.

Always leave an extra day to any boating trip for bad weather!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I just heard on WRIF that Cedar Point is building the world's tallest roller coaster. It will be ready in May 2003 and called the Dragster. It will be 420 ft. high and have a top speed of 120 mph. Something to look forward to!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Check out www.cedarpoint.com. They have all the specs and pictures on the new coaster. It says it will go from 0-120 mph in just 4 seconds! I bet there will be a huge line for that ride this summer, but if anyone stays at the Cedar Point marina, that might be a good one to ride first since you can get in 30 min before the park opens to the public! A nice benefit if you ask me!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts