Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, a year ago I bought these small simple ceiling fans for only $15.00 from Home Depot for the bedrooms, they are the ones with the lights....

Anywho, took them back six months later, the reason husband hasn't installed them I told her... <_<

Well, now I want to buy them AGAIN. I guess we aren't sure how to ensure that they are safely installed. We did not have the bedrooms prepped for them when we had the house built.

What do we need to do?

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(Boss @ May 15 2004, 12:50 PM)Anywho, took them back six months later, the reason husband hasn't installed them I told her...

Gee, thanks. Make me sound like a lazy a$$. <_<

I should mention the the light fixture boxes in the bedroom ceilings are just sort of "floating" there and not really attached to anything secure. I don't want the fan to come crashing down on me in my sleep.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
well as long as you have a light fixture in the ceiling that's all you need - cut off the power to the room, take out the light fixture completely (I think you can leave the metal bar that goes across the hole that feeds the electrical wires through still intact - and get out the directions.

Otherwise, call Chris Craft - he's a handyman and super reasonable

his # is 790-2977

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(Shandog @ May 15 2004, 01:45 PM)well as long as you have a light fixture in the ceiling that's all you need
No, because its not secure enough to support the weight of a ceiling fan.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Go back to home depot. In the electrical dept. you will find electrical boxes designed for ceiling fans. They have an adjustable width bar mounted on the back of them. You screw the ends of the bar to the ceiling joists. Another way is to cut a length of 2x4 to bridge between the joists and mount the existing box to that.

Both methods requird working up in the atic and moving the insulation out of the way wile you work.

If there is a room above the bedroom instead of atic I'm not sure if there is anything you can do other then removing a section of drywall to reinforce the box. Then replace the drywall.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(Boater2be @ May 15 2004, 02:50 PM)Go back to home depot. In the electrical dept. you will find electrical boxes designed for ceiling fans. They have an adjustable width bar mounted on the back of them. You screw the ends of the bar to the ceiling joists. Another way is to cut a length of 2x4 to bridge between the joists and mount the existing box to that.

Both methods requird working up in the atic and moving the insulation out of the way wile you work.

If there is a room above the bedroom instead of atic I'm not sure if there is anything you can do other then removing a section of drywall to reinforce the box. Then replace the drywall.

Good luck!
I did ours both ways...

Prefer the expandable brakets with box.

Piece of cake!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(garydebs @ May 15 2004, 02:58 PM)I did ours both ways...

Piece of cake!

That was the other problem. I couldn't see were to safely navigate up in the attic. That insulation is sprayed/spread all over everything. I'd likely end up putting a foot through the ceiling.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ May 15 2004, 02:05 PM)QUOTE(garydebs @ May 15 2004, 02:58 PM)
I did ours both ways...

Piece of cake!

That was the other problem. I couldn't see were to safely navigate up in the attic. That insulation is sprayed/spread all over everything. I'd likely end up putting a foot through the ceiling.

Oh for gosh sakes! It looks like I am heading up into the attic people! <_<

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(Focker @ May 16 2004, 01:45 PM)I thought you were selling the house and looking to move to the Shores area???
No, that was last year.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
poor boss snowbi get up and take a flash light or drop light its not that hard to do and kkep your feet on the joyces.. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
you should be able to do it without going in attic, at home depot or any electric supply shop they sell re-model ceiling fan boxes that fit through the hole in the ceiling and expand out to the trusses, if you called an electrician this is how they would do it. hope that helps any questions feel free to pm or email

i also wanted to add, i have found the less expensive the fan, the bigger pain in the arse to put together

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Here are a couple more things to consider:
Do you want the fan to come on with a seperate switch or just keep using your original light switch and the pull chains they give you with the fan?
If you want seperate switches, you need to add an additional switch to that switch box, and run another wire from that box to the fixture. If you put the fan on a dimmer switch so you can controll the speed of the fan from the switch, you need to make sure the switch is rated for a ceiling fan or it will make a humming noise when you turn it on.
I was an apprentice for an electrical contractor for a year and a half and I have installed alot of ceiling fans. I would be glad to help you with the project. just PM me
alan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts