Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people say white, others say get something that won't be such a drastic difference....

my walls will be 'Mocha'...

should the ceiling be white or a less blinding color??

Gotta buy it today.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I say paint the ceiling white or mocha. Lately I have noticed the new thing is to paint the ceiling the same color. If you go with white, it will look crisp, I like that look too. I don't think off white would look good. I had a darker toupe color in my bedroom in my condo and the white ceiling really accented the color.
My 5 cents...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I would go with the muted shade of the mocha. Usually two or three up from the color on the swatch. Always makes a nice contrast and compliments the walls. White is too boring and tends to attract your eye away from the main color.
just my .02

Good luck with the painting

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Some form of WHITE!

We have a lot of dark brown walls and all our ceilings are white.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
IMO you should just keep it white unless you want to bring the room in any closer. By keeping it white you allow the eye to go up as well, making the room look bigger. But I'm talking not a stark white go for an eggshell color perhaps.

Also depends on the room and how high your ceilings are? Pauline I don't kow if you remember my dining room but it's black and the ceiling is whitish but it's 12 foot ceiling too!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
According to MrSunbum (artist , ya know
) Not white! A highly lightened shade of the Mocha, or depending on the shade of Mocha a warm color, like light peach. Or a light shade from you accessories/ furntiure or carpet.

just his .02

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!!!

I was thinking the top most shade on the color swatch I have; "hush white" ... It's definitely not white, some variation of taupe white, but probably will look it next to the dark...

And then what color for the moldings?? White or the same shade as the ceiling?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Moldings and ceiling should be the same color in my opinion, but not the same as the walls.

We have a very dark color on our walls with white ceiling and white trim. If I could do it all over again, I would do it a beigy cream color.

However, with a lighter color wall I like white. Ralph Lauren at Home Depot is great paint!

Here is a pic to see how the dark walls look with the white cieling and trim.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I think that depends on the rest of the framework and trim in the room. I have crown molding kept it white and it's a shade brighter than the ceiling, so it sticks out more. I say keep it brighter or whiter.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had my living room and hall professionally painted, the color is a medium beige. The painter told me to do the trim, railings, and doors white.

It looks really nice and makes the wall look richer.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
If you go with white it will add definition and crisp it out. If you stay with the color of the cieling on the trim it blends it. Its a matter of what look you are going for.

Boss--room looks really nice.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I think I would have to go with an Eggshell type color....Deffinatly off white for sure..

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Crown molding makes me change my mind on the white, I wouldn't do it then, I would paint the mouldings white though. The room I was talking about didn't have mouldings. I did like the crispness of the ceiling with the toupe though. The ceilings in the new house are a light beige-sort of color, as a matter of fact so are the walls! LOL...I need to start painting..

Whatever you do, buy extra for touch ups next year, I wish I would have in my old condo.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
what? doesn't my opinion count?? I think the crispness of white ceiling against the dark wall will look
beeee-utiful! Do the moldings in a glossy white paint... all will contrast wonderfully!
That is my .02

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(Boss @ Jan 13 2004, 10:03 AM)Moldings and ceiling should be the same color in my opinion, but not the same as the walls.

We have a very dark color on our walls with white ceiling and white trim. If I could do it all over again, I would do it a beigy cream color.

However, with a lighter color wall I like white. Ralph Lauren at Home Depot is great paint!

Here is a pic to see how the dark walls look with the white cieling and trim.
OMG Boss!! Your living room / nook is almost just like mine. Not the color or decor, but the lay out...I'm looking for a picture now...

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(manana-II @ Jan 13 2004, 10:16 AM)
what? doesn't my opinion count?? I think the crispness of white ceiling against the dark wall will look
beeee-utiful! Do the moldings in a glossy white paint... all will contrast wonderfully!
That is my .02
I like that idea of the high gloss on the mouldings...

Pauligan, we have your house almost done for you!! Just a few more minutes!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I also forgot to add, I had matte paint and hated it, doesn't wash clean.

I also don't like glossy, or semi-gloss. I went with the Satin. This is not glossy, yet not so matte, and washes clean wonderfully!

.....Thanks, bikingirl I've done what I can with a house I am not too fond of. I will find the one!

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
well, they make a paint that you can buy off the shelves called "ceiling white", no mixing needed and formulated for good coverage and hiding, so thats what I typically use

if you do go with color for the ceiling and trim it will be likely outdated in 5-7 years, what is "in" now will look like crap in a few years

white is classic and won't go out of style

·
Registered
81 Posts
try blending someof the wall color with white ceiling pant
this will still leave ceiling bright but match the hue of the wall
also follow previos advice on trim accents best of luck!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts