Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
How much fun would it be to get the long form to fill out. I hope I get that one!!

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Very interesting!

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
I'd be interested to see what the LEGALLY required aspects were. I can understand getting a "adult" and "child" count, but I'm not so sure about all the other data. How much less expensive (and faster) could they do this for if they were collecting the REQUIRED data?? When we're so far in debt, you'd think there would be some incentive to save a few bucks here and there!!!

Also, I've heard people say "what difference does it make, it's all confidential?" He points out in the video that there have been numerous times where government "secured" data has been compromised, and that's just once it gets submitted. You have no control over the collection process. And who **really** thinks that this data is protected from any other government agency? Kind of like the small print in most service agreements that say they can share you personal account info with any of their "affiliates, agents and parent companies". How many of H&R Blocks customers knew/know that they likely signed an agreement to their information being shared with AOL or Time Warner?

On a different note, I saw a test done several years ago where they took 4 seperate databases with "no personally-identifiable data" and cross-referenced them and found they could tie ALL the data back to an individual with over a 90% success rate. That was SEVERAL years ago with MUCH less computing power available.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
QUOTE(KMC @ Mar 4 2010, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...He points out in the video that there have been numerous times where government "secured" data has been compromised, and that's just once it gets submitted...

and on that note the goverment is already critically short on IT workers and 85% of goverment empolyees are eligible to retire in the next 3 years. Obama wants a more technoloically up to date government, good, that should mean jobs. but yeah thats not an IT infrastructure that I fully trust.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Mar 6 2010, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(KMC @ Mar 4 2010, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...He points out in the video that there have been numerous times where government "secured" data has been compromised, and that's just once it gets submitted...

and on that note the goverment is already critically short on IT workers and 85% of goverment empolyees are eligible to retire in the next 3 years. Obama wants a more technoloically up to date government, good, that should mean jobs. but yeah thats not an IT infrastructure that I fully trust.

They seem to have a large amount of ID10T workers, though.
The info they get from me will be on a need-to-know basis, beyond that the rest of my answers will be NOYFB

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Mar 6 2010, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Mar 6 2010, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(KMC @ Mar 4 2010, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...He points out in the video that there have been numerous times where government "secured" data has been compromised, and that's just once it gets submitted...

They seem to have a large amount of ID10T workers, though.
The info they get from me will be on a need-to-know basis, beyond that the rest of my answers will be NOYFB

·
Registered
491 Posts
This is the PDF that covers everything about the new American Community Survey mentioned in the youtube vid. Go to page 51 for a list of the topics. Scroll down further into chapters 5 and 6 for details on specifically what the questions will ask. I was particularly interested in finding out that the Legislature increased the old penalty maximum of $100 for failure to answer to a maximum $5000 penalty. Another interesting part is the cost increases now that this is being done every year, not just every ten years.

http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Downloads/tp67.pdf

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(Heavy Handed @ Mar 6 2010, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is the PDF that covers everything about the new American Community Survey mentioned in the youtube vid. Go to page 51 for a list of the topics. Scroll down further into chapters 5 and 6 for details on specifically what the questions will ask. I was particularly interested in finding out that the Legislature increased the old penalty maximum of $100 for failure to answer to a maximum $5000 penalty. Another interesting part is the cost increases now that this is being done every year, not just every ten years.

That form is dated 2006. Here is the 2009 version:
http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Downloads/dm1.pdf

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Mar 7 2010, 07:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Heavy Handed @ Mar 6 2010, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is the PDF that covers everything about the new American Community Survey mentioned in the youtube vid. Go to page 51 for a list of the topics. Scroll down further into chapters 5 and 6 for details on specifically what the questions will ask. I was particularly interested in finding out that the Legislature increased the old penalty maximum of $100 for failure to answer to a maximum $5000 penalty. Another interesting part is the cost increases now that this is being done every year, not just every ten years.

That form is dated 2006. Here is the 2009 version:
http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Downloads/dm1.pdf

The Founders are rolling in their graves.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Mar 7 2010, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not to worry, Rob, when those Field Reps drop by for a visit the Founding Fathers will have a good chuckle, after I'm done with them

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
The census site only shows a 10 question form. Who will get this long form? From what I understand, the only question you have to answer, by law, is how many people are in the household.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(Jazzy @ Mar 7 2010, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The census site only shows a 10 question form. Who will get this long form? From what I understand, the only question you have to answer, by law, is how many people are in the household.
Nobody really seems to know the answer to your question, Jazzy.
The purpose of the Census is to count population, the info is to be used for Congressional districting. I can't see how many of those questions pertain to a population count.
The example of what you drive, when you leave in the morning, and how long it takes to get to you job is info I don't share with people I don't know. Another one of the NOYFB questions.
Along with the fertility question and ...
I will tell them there are three people here, two adults, one child, thank you, have a nice day.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts