Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never changed the fuel filters before and would like to do it this year along with the other stuff. Was wonderin if it would be a good idea to shut the fuel valves off and let the engines idle to stall and then unscrew the filters to avoid spilling gas all over. Or is it a bad idea to let the motor run dry if it's not necessary? Heard another idea about just holding a ziplock under the filter and unscrewing it letting it and any fuel drop into the bag.
Also should I run the winter gas out before puttin the new filters on?
This on 7.4 Horizon's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In my experience EFI's can be difficult to start after running them dry, so I wouldn't do that. I would however wait until you run the winter gas through before changing them. Also, it's a good idea to fill the new filters with fresh gas (don't use the gas from the old filters)It will make starting after the change much easier.

·
12,052 Posts
The horizons are MPI's and with an electric fuel pump would it be hard to start? I'm assuming you mean the water separater/filters so should they be changed before running so any water from the winter is gone? I haven't changed mine yet, I have to get some. For those and the oil filter I use an old frisbee to catch and drips. Don't trust a plastic bag. I lay an absorbent cloth in it also.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I was referring to the water seperator/filters. Probably wind up changin em after drivin it down to the well from the hoist. Get the filters from Colony or anywhere cheaper? And also what about the generator?(Westerbeke) Thats gotta have one too and where to get it?
And one other thing on the mind-never changed the zinc's in the motors!? Big deal or what. Every how many years/months should we change em being in the lakes?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts