Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change the fuel water seperator on my boat. I have never done this before and someone said I might need to release the fuel pressure before removing the filter. Is this true and if so how do i release the pressure.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
QUOTE(slapshot @ Jun 11 2009, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I need to change the fuel water seperator on my boat. I have never done this before and someone said I might need to release the fuel pressure before removing the filter. Is this true and if so how do i release the pressure.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Ive never released pressure in the fuel system before I changed this filter. Maybe as I unscrewed the filter the pressure was released, but I didnt do anything special besides just unscrewing the old filter and screwing on the new one. I try to keep an extra seperator on board as well as this can be a common problem and its cheap insurance against getting stranded on the lake.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Yeah what 4 Winns said.

Use a strap wrench, any pressure will release when you begin unscrewing it, but have some paper towel handy for some minor spillage.
Pour whats in the old filter into a glass jar and set it aside to settle, so you can get a good look at what's in your fuel system.
Fill the new filter canister with fuel before you screw it on or be prepared to spend some time "priming" it by hand with the ball.
Coat a little "light oil" on the new gasket too.
gt

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Sounds right to me too.

Good idea with the glass jar Tom!

slapshot, did you get your performance issue worked out?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
To make it no drip, I cut the top off of a 2 liter pop bottle. Once I get the filter loosened, I put the 2 liter under it and finish removing it = no mess.

If it's fuel injected, pull the fuel pump fuse and start it up. It will die shortly and the fuel system will have no pressure.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
on carbureted boats with mechanical fuel pumps, the filter should be on the suction side of the fuel pump. Not under pressure.

I'm not sure on newer boats though. If the fuel injected boats run an electric pump in the tank there might be a fuel pressure issue. If so, there's probably a shrader valve on the fuel rail to allow you to release pressure into a bucket with the appropriate hose. But I doubt that's the case.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
They are all mounted on the suction side, it's just a matter of releasing the pressure side to allow the fuel in the line to drain back into the tank on a FI engine. So you don't really have pressure to deal with, just a line full of fuel....

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
QUOTE(garry454 @ Jun 12 2009, 06:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>To make it no drip, I cut the top off of a 2 liter pop bottle. Once I get the filter loosened, I put the 2 liter under it and finish removing it = no mess.

If it's fuel injected, pull the fuel pump fuse and start it up. It will die shortly and the fuel system will have no pressure.

Good idea. I may try that.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Away Point @ Jun 11 2009, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sounds right to me too.

Good idea with the glass jar Tom!

slapshot, did you get your performance issue worked out?

I have not completely solved the problem yet. I am leaning towards the exaust flapper as the culprit that was suggested to me by someone on this site. I am hoping to get a look at it this weekend.

Thank you for all of the advice on the filter change

1 - 10 of 10 Posts