Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many lucky years boating on LSC, I finally hit something! I need to change out props. I have the spider tab's and prop wrench, but was wondering if there is anything else to it. I considered doing it after I hit whatever I hit, but it ran and got on plane no problem... Just a minor knick in two blades, and with a 2 yr old on board, I did not want the delay. I have always carried spares and tools, but never actually thought about it. Is it just that easy?

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
about a 10 minute job to change props ,, i put my drive in gear with motor turned off , fwd , or reverse depending on thread left or right, hand, so it wont spin free when i loosen the prop nut then shift in the other direction to keep it spinning to tighten it. have gone though quite a few since started boating just go some where that you can stand up in the water. to do it . make sure you bend tabs back down , when done. might want to put some grease on the shaft too , if you never have before putting new one on.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BobRob, that makes sense. One more question, what does the spider tab actually do, and can you re-use it? (I have spares) I guess that's two more questions...

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
the tab or spider is suooposed to just help the nut from keep coming loose , vibration or working it self loose ,
the tabs keep the nut in place is all , nothing real critical ive personally never had one come loose on me , even when i forgot to bend tabs back down , yep it can be reused , , long as tabs on it arent broken just align back up and bend down. on my volvo i dont even have one on it , i know merc does though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts