Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are soooo many worthy causes for our money... but... it makes me sad that I can't contribute to them all... and WOW we have a lot on here right now!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
that's true. it's like walking past the pet store looking at ALL the puppies in the window at the same time...

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
That is a concern of ours too. The thought process has been to create a single 'LSCN Charity' that will donate to other charities. ie, the money raised now by the 'Pirates of LSCN' is going towards 'adopt a family.' In January, money raised by that group may go to something different, and possibly even SOSCL one day. On the other hand, sometimes it's easier to raise the money when there is a specific group in mind.

Whatever the case... if you can't contribute, don't feel bad about it. Nobody should feel pressured to do it. These charities come about because there are people who want to, and can afford to help out.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I agree. I give what little I can.
At work they deduct United Way donations out of each check here ("our suggested gift"). % salary.
Also we currently have 20 adopt-a-families here (work) each family has a story and each member will get 8 gifts each, tags indicate what they want/need.

*I was thinking more like: Adopt-a-Stacy at this point.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Giving to a charity should come from your heart.. I used PayPal here at LSCN to contribute.. I gave what I could give at the time. Never feel badly about not being able to give to each and every charity that is out there.. You just can't...
Last night when I got home there were 5 envelopes from different charities asking for money. It hurt my feelings but I placed the envelopes in the garbage..
Sometimes charity also has to happen in your own home..

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night...

·
a.k.a EZC
2,010 Posts
QUOTE(BoatChic @ Dec 4 2003, 11:38 AM)...I was thinking Adopt-a-Stacy at this point.
Hmmm... I may have a few extra dollars.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
i guess this is a bad time to bring up the 'surfers in need' or the ' save the sexwax' fund? lol!!!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
It`s impossible to give to all of the worth while causes......but I try to give what I

can....If I had more time I would give it as well.....

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
i agree pauligan.
i feel we have done an exemplory job in in donations through LSCN for the needy this year.
Toys for tots, adopt a family, breast cancer walk,bowling for charity,...and so on.

we are just a teeny tiny little group. we cannot save all
wish we could, but that is just not possible.

Perfect fit, nice post

FYI: read charities, per the governmenty only have to donate 10% of proceeds to the cause. 90% can go to their pocket. and they say 86% of charities are for people
to benefit, and charities recieve the 10%

not to complain at all !!!! but i said it before, 30% of our checks go to the government, 6% tax on everything we buy, prop tax, gas tax, tax tax tax.....we do give everyday
to these needy groups, our goverment allocates that. look at all our money going to people who don't like us (mid -east) this is a different topic but can be directly tied into money out of our pocket and needy families here's benefit.

but none the less i am proud to contribute when i can, and proud of LSCN,...to see so many of us with the kind hearts we have.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
QUOTE(surfergirlck @ Dec 4 2003, 12:20 PM)' save the sex wax' fund?
people will eat that one right up...
im betting whole bank accounts emptied!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The about charities is, exactly how much of your $$ actually goes to help those that need it. The United Way got into big trouble a few years back when some reporter published how much the guy in charge got paid, and how little actually got used to help people. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was below 20% of what was taken in. The rest was used to pay for salaries and running the organization. The head guy resigned because of it. I'm not saying don't contribute, but be careful where you donate your hard earned $$. Do your homework.

my $0.02

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
That's what's nice about the charities that we have been involved in. 100% is going to the cause.

With 'Adopt a family', we are taking cash and buying the gifts. The only money not going to the familes is a tiny percentage that PayPal takes out of the online donations.

When we do the toys for tots, unless the marines are selling the toys back to somebody, I would think that 100% of the collections there go directly to the kids.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
those are the best kind.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ Dec 4 2003, 04:33 PM)I finally feel the tension of the board today slipping away!!

Whew!!!!!
Thats cause we rock !
In CBJ language,...We are cool, kicka$$, awesome, peeps !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts