Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Ok guys, next month (3/8-3/16) I'm going to be down in Florida for vacation and am looking to go out on a charter boat one of those day to fish. Maybe 1/2 day, maybe a full day, who knows. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this and if so, can give me some contact names or some sort of direction in booking a charter trip. I've found numerous websites, but not sure what to go with.
Any help would be appreciated.

I'm VERY intersted in TUNA fishing.
mackerel, even tarpon...
help??

·
Registered
243 Posts
Where in Florida are you going?

What kind of fishing do you want to do? Freshwater or Saltwater?

The wife and kids and I just got back from Disney World and there is a ton of guides around the Orlando area but they are expensive. Luckily for me I have friends on Lake Istokpoga, where I managed to sneak away for a free fishing trip.

BTW

Lake St Clair smallmouth fight a lot harder than Florida largemouth

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(stevie1 @ Feb 19 2003, 10:01 AM)Where in Florida are you going?

What kind of fishing do you want to do? Freshwater or Saltwater?

The wife and kids and I just got back from Disney World and there is a ton of guides around the Orlando area but they are expensive. Luckily for me I have friends on Lake Istokpoga, where I managed to sneak away for a free fishing trip.

BTW

Lake St Clair smallmouth fight a lot harder than Florida largemouth
I'm going to be in the clearwater area. Looking for saltwater or freshwater fishing. It doesn't matter. My boyfriend is actually going down to Marathon Florida (in the keys) tonight for a week to do some fishing there with his buddies.
Like i said, i'm mostly wanting to do the tuna thing. I know it'll cost around $ 750 for a day of fishing, which is fine. That's the norm i'm thinking....

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm sorry I can't help you on the tuna thing.

I know nothing about salt water.

But if you want I get can get a phone number of a guide on Isokpoga. It's probably a couple of hours East of Clearwater.

It might be worth it, I heard someone took a 13lb 9 oz largemouth last week.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(stevie1 @ Feb 19 2003, 10:28 AM)I'm sorry I can't help you on the tuna thing.

I know nothing about salt water.

But if you want I get can get a phone number of a guide on Isokpoga. It's probably a couple of hours East of Clearwater.

It might be worth it, I heard someone took a 13lb 9 oz largemouth last week.
You say this guy is a guide?
Sure give me the contact info. It won't hurt to call and find out what he can offer.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
MaryJane: If you want to just go grouper digging, that is way too much money. Go to Florida Sportsman (Forum site) and you should get some good advice. Go to the Central Florida section. In Clearwater you can walk down the dock and hook up with a charter. Most of the Captains are by the Clearwater Marina store. You can't miss em. Across the street from the North entrance to the beach.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Icet @ Feb 19 2003, 12:06 PM)MaryJane: If you want to just go grouper digging, that is way too much money. Go to Florida Sportsman (Forum site) and you should get some good advice. Go to the Central Florida section. In Clearwater you can walk down the dock and hook up with a charter. Most of the Captains are by the Clearwater Marina store. You can't miss em. Across the street from the North entrance to the beach.
I want a fish taht's going to put up a BIG fight.
I'm really partial to landing a trophy Tuna this trip ...

i'll check into your info!!

thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Feb 19 2003, 12:47 PM)Absolutely nothing wrong with tuna. In fact I kinda like it, but I have never done it....YET!

Mini
Well i'll take LOTS of pictures and send you some. I think tuna fishing will be my thing. I've seen it done enough to (THINK) i know what i'm doing

·
Registered
23 Posts
If your staying in the Clearwater area (the gulf side) getting on to tuna requires a charter service to head quite a ways out into deep water. Traveling to areas that yield them means half the booking is spent in route with no guarantee you'll get on those targeted Tuna.
Cooler air brings the water temperatures down which will bring the grouper in closer and starts the Kingfish run. Kingfish which run along the coast in
March - April then October -November.This is when the largest Kingfish are caught.

The large giant tarpon show up in the mouth of Tampa Bay in March. These fish move throughout Tampa Bay all summer long, leaving sometime in October.

Tarpon Charters
http://www.fishing-boating.com/mccue/tarponfishing.htm
Captain Robert McCue's Bounty Hunter Sport Fishing Guide Service toll free.
1+ (800) 833-0489

He's very honest and will give you an honest low down on whats in the area that's big and puts up a good fight. Then you can make a decision from their on do you want to spend your cash and what's the probability of getting into them.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Mini and his guys call all boats that are not bass rigs "Tuna" boats. Being the proud owning of a Tuna rig that catches fish I refuse to eat tuna except with a hot dog on the side. Just no bananas on board.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
If you know some politically incorrect bass guys call non-bass boats, Tuna boats, than you should know we call bananas monkey pickles!

I hope we get a report on the real tuna fishing later. I'll be in Florida for business next week and probably won't get to fish at all WHICH IS A SIN as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK i booked a charter on the 13th of March. 8 hour trip leaving out of boca grande. Fishing for Tarpon, redfish, snapper, snook, seatrout, jack something or another fish, and some other fish...
Tuna will have to wait.

All in all it should be a good time. I'm excited!

FISH ON~

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
MaryJane,

Are tuna really a game fish found in Florida. I always think of colder northern waters when I think of fishing for them. That might be why your charter isn't targeting them?

Jim

1 - 20 of 32 Posts