Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was invited to go out on a charter in August. I have never been out on a charter before. So, I was wondering what would be an appropriate tip to give the Captain of the boat when we get back? Does it depend on the amount of fish we catch or is that irrelevant? Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

JVH

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(JVH13 @ Jul 14 2009, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was invited to go out on a charter in August. I have never been out on a charter before. So, I was wondering what would be an appropriate tip to give the Captain of the boat when we get back? Does it depend on the amount of fish we catch or is that irrelevant? Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

JVH
Let your experience show you the way
If they bust there butt, I usually throw the guy 15% for the whole group. 40-80 bucks if you have a full group. Go with what you are comfortable with. Sometimes I ask what is typical. They don't feel comfortable, but I'll chat with them the whole way out. Sometimes they will tell stories. You'll learn on the ride out if you chit chat

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mako...I figured something along those lines, but I thought I would get the opinion of some of those who have done this sort of thing before just to be on the safe side. I don't want to be "that guy" that doesn't give someone what they deserve.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(JVH13 @ Jul 14 2009, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Mako...I figured something along those lines, but I thought I would get the opinion of some of those who have done this sort of thing before just to be on the safe side. I don't want to be "that guy" that doesn't give someone what they deserve.

There are a few guides here. Maybe they will pipe in and say their thoughts.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
what type of charter?

I generally would recommend $100 ish depending on experience. If the guys a stiff and doesn't talk to you and doesn't work, different story. I would agree with Kevin. $1 - $50 if they blow, $50 - $100 no fish but they worked, $100 avg., $100 - $150 if it was a memory you will tell stories about for years or you land a wall hanger.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Woody95 @ Jul 14 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>what type of charter?

I generally would recommend $100 ish depending on experience. If the guys a stiff and doesn't talk to you and doesn't work, different story. I would agree with Kevin. $1 - $50 if they blow, $50 - $100 no fish but they worked, $100 avg., $100 - $150 if it was a memory you will tell stories about for years or you land a wall hanger.

It's a muskie charter. Hopefully I'll land a hog and this guy will get a nice chuck of change!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
If the guy put you on fish and your having a good time with it let him know you would do it again and pay him well. If he's running around and not doing anything then give him less. Its all in what you are comfortable paying him.

Have a great time out there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll let you know how it goes.. Hopefully I have some great pics to share!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Let me just say I am a Mate on 2 boats and I work my a$$ off and chat and make sure everybody is enjoying themselves. The one thing I hate is being tipped 10 or 20 bucks for bailing weeds and setting lines and running circles for people for 8 an hour muskie trip, it sucks so be good to the mates as well we get money from the capt. but not alot so be nice. PLEASE

·
Registered
602 Posts
As captain, my brother doesn't expect a tip for himself (but it's nice if it happens), but you should always tip the mate, if there is one.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
my opinion, you already "tipped" him by hiring them as your charter, but if you have a great experience, then go for what you would have paid to have such a great trip. and i agree with tipping the mate, he doesnt get nearly as much for the work they put in.

if i had a bad time, then i wouldn't tip anything,

gl a make the best out of it.

·
Vendor
539 Posts
When I was still guiding on St Clair for those of us that charged in the $350-$395.00 bracket around $50 tip was about the norm for a good day. The most I think I got in one day was over $200. We didnt get a single fish and I had to stop and ask him why? He was a retired guide from down in Florida. He stated ," barometers in the bucket, its dropped 20 degrees, and you knew after 1 hr out here we were not going to catch #$% but busted your butt, kept encouraging us that we would get something, and stayed out an extra hour. If it was me I would dragged my but and went through the numbers until 7 hrs and 59 minutes was up." He explained he had been on trip out west where they caught one fish after another all day and the guide was boring and sat in back of boat and smoked all day. They gave him nothing for a tip. I heard a saying awhile back - " The guide can control the quality of the conversation, the lunch,and where the boat goes, but he cant control the fishes appetite" As for charter boats Ive never tipped the captain but we always as a group threw in $20-30 each for the mate. As for guides tips are not expected but highly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
When I guided in AK it was cool to get "thoughtful" stuff other than cash. (Cash is always good, but....) One client gave me a Leatherman with his company's logo on it. Yeah, it was free for him because his company paid for it and he took it out of the warehouse or whatever, but it was cool and I still have it and use it. Another guy was a doctor and he gave me a sweet set of titanium forceps with cutters and jaws on them. I still use those too. Another dude gave me a $50 gift certificate at the sporting goods store in town knowing I shopped there. He had it prearranged and at the end of the day he told me I had $50 waiting in there for me. That was really cool because he put thought into ahead of time. One guy gave me his daughter's phone number and asked me to call her. Said she needed to meet a nice guy like me. That was kinda weird, but I appreciated the sentiment. LOL

·
Vendor
539 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jul 15 2009, 05:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One guy gave me his daughter's phone number and asked me to call her. Said she needed to meet a nice guy like me. That was kinda weird, but I appreciated the sentiment. LOL

So did you call the number???
Theres got to be more to the story then that LOL?

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
HA! The thought crossed my mind. I asked him how old she was....38. Not bad, but I was like 24 at the time. I had to pass. I might still have her number Steve. She'd be 44/45 now......you interested?

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
QUOTE(Woody95 @ Jul 14 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>what type of charter?

Agreed!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts