Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well....what time of year are they best in...could they be used at the end of june? Where should i use them? Do u have to go deep or can i stay shallow and still use them?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Spinnerbaits wrok well all season long, but especially so in the Spring and Fall.

You got the all chartreuse one? Isnt that the smallmouth one? 3/4oz. Double willow?

Yes they will work well in the Spring. One of the keys to a 3/4oz bait is to fish it FAST. About a foot under the surface, long casts and "burning" it back to the boat. Make sure you look a few feet behind the bait for following fish before you get too close to the boat. "Killing" or momentarily stopping your retrieve will usually get one of the followers to commit!

Mini

·
Registered
243 Posts
If the followers don't hit it and turn away have a worm rod ready and make a cast. Alot of times the fish will hit that lure.

Always use a trailer hook too!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Try them on deep break lines, The Ledgebuster comes all the way to 2oz. if im not mistaken, and if you look at the profile its small and if you down size the blade you will have the weight to burn without the affect of the blades boiling out of the water.

see you on the water
Rich

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool thanks everyone but i was wondering if anyone could tell me were to go to use it at about the end of june? I bought the 3/4 ounce one

·
Registered
43 Posts
Most of Michigans glacier formed lakes have some type of weedline (well defined in some cases) depending on the lake, on lakes with a good weedline a sure spot to check would be on the outside edge. And If your fishing St. Clair or Erie that 3/4oz will give you the casting distance that you need in clear water almost anywhere you would throw a tube or jerkbait would be a good starting point.

see you on the water.

Rich

·
Registered
927 Posts
masterbasser,

im not sure what area you are from, but i use a 3/4 to 1oz spinnerbait on a couple of lakes. white lake in highland, cass lake, kent lake, and st clair. these are really the only lakes i throw a spinnerbait that heavy. most of the fish i catch on them are smallmouth. in the summer time, i do as pr844s1 ( aka rich ) said. find your self a nice break or an outside weedline with some depth. cast it out paralell with the weedline and either start at the top, or start from the bottom. i usually let it go down, then i just pull it slowly with my rod, and reel the slack in with my reel. i try to keep as close of contact with the bottom and i work it slow. if i am not getting hit, i work the depth up a little. still pulling it slowly. if i am still not getting hit, i keep bringing the bait closer to the top until i find what they want. remember tho, the closer you are to the surface or the clearer the water, the faster you want to move the bait. you dont want the fish to get a good look at it, you just want them to react to it. i hear a lot that you really cant work a spinner bait too fast. but play around with different depths and differnt retrieves and always pay close attention to your stikes. i have thrown spinnerbaits since i started fishing, but it wasnt until a few years ago that i was very succesful with them. i learned over the years to really burn the bait just under the surface and started getting alot more strikes. if you ever get a chance, get in a pool and have someone cast over you with a spinnerbait. you will be surprised what that thing looks like when you are under water.

madman himself

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool thanks guys for the tips. I dont think that my dad would be too thrilled with me throwing spinnerbaits in his pool. Oh and by the way i am fishing lake st. clair

1 - 12 of 12 Posts