Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summer's not over yet, and there are still so many places to explore. We have been thinking about cruising over to either Wallaceburg (via Chenal Ecarte) or up the Thames to Chatham. Has anyone made these trips? Which one is nicer? Which town has good restaurants, shops, or things that interest kids? I know these are long, slow, trips, but we don't mind no-wake zones, since our boat is only 22 feet.
Thanks for any input!!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hey Joyce

As one of a couple token Canadians on the board, I can tell you that both are cool. My marina is located where Chenal Ecarte meets up with the St Clair River at Port Lambton (across from Algonac)

Chatham is definitely a bigger town with more stuff to do, but it is a longer ride - on a 22' foot you will have no problems with any of the bridges that are along the way. Here is alink with pretty much everything you need to know.

http://www.chatham-kent.ca/English/Recreat...tting+There.htm

Wallaceburg (normally a sleepy town in Ontario's tomato growing belt) rocks for one weekend a year, and it is called WAMBO - the Wallaceburg Antique and Motor Boat Outing - the second weekend in August. If you are into antique cars, wooden boats and restored fire engines, this is the weekend to go.

http://www.kent.net/wambo/

Hope this helps ...

Scott.

·
Registered
284 Posts
On the map I have it says the Chenal Encarte is no wake. Is that just in parts or the whole way? Is it a nice river for a cruise with stops you can make for gas and food? Any help would be appreciated.

G

·
We went to Wallaceburg once in our 21' through Chenel Ecarte. Actually we didn't have a good chart and made a wrong turn and ended up there. I don't remember gas stations, but I'd expect there's at least one in Wallaceburg. It was posted no-wake, but most boats we saw were running on plane when there were no houses or docks on the shore, and there were long stretches like that. I talked to friends who went to Chatham a couple of years ago and they said it was something like a 5 hour no-wake trip each way. Just something to consider...

·
12,052 Posts
I have gone to Chatham a couple times in October. Kind of a color tour. 3 hours up at no wake and 20 mins out full blast!!! There aren't any boats on the river in October so we went for it!!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hey y'all.

Chenal Ecarte has a 8 km/h (5 mph) speedlimit and is wake restricted. Because it runs adjacent to the Walpole Island First Nation, there is a fair amount of enforcement along the channel (First Nation police in private boats, OPP, and RCMP) With the events of September 11th, there has been a crackdown on the Canadian side of the border to slow down smuggling through the reserve.

The Thames River to Chatham primarily goes through farm land with levees on both sides for shoreline protection, although you will here stories of people zooming through on plane on their way back to Lake St Clair, getting ratted out, and the OPP is waiting for them at Cove Marina (just reporting what I know Hammer.)

Chatham is also known as Maple City, and the fall colours are pretty nice around Canadian Thanksgiving.

There are fuel docks in Chatham, but none in Wallaceburg. The closest is the Petro Canada at Ecarte Marine, at the junction of Chenal Ecarte and the St Clair River.

Any specific questions that I missed, just PM me.

Cheers,
Scott.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vicki
Don't you worry about that precious little fellow. We left him home with Vanessa. He loves going to my Mom's house too, so we never leave him home for too long. Whenever possible, we take him on the boat. Sunday we were at Metro and he loved it. Kept laying on the floating weeds at the beach.
We are buying a Sundancer this week, and it will be much more comfy for everyone!
If you know anyone who wants my pretty little 22 ft. Bayliner, let me know. Price is down to $8000 obo.
Joyce

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wallaceburg is a friendly town, the docks are in good condition. We enjoy the ride - about 30-40 minutes to the Walpole Island Bridge, and about one to one and a half hours to Wallaceburg. It is a pleasant, scenic, idle, and , just about the time you're getting bored - you're there. If you need the clearance, the bridge tender and dock hands can be reached on channel 68. Enjoy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts