Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is the yearly bash on the fisherman, we pleasure boaters own the lake so get out of my way thread...

http://www.lakestclair.net/forums/index.ph...69314&st=30

The first thing that pops into my mind is what moto said about what the fisherman bring to the lake. I would have to say that I think the fisherman do way more for the lake and the resource. Pleasure boaters trash gull island 2-3 times a year and play drunken bumper boats.
Sorry, my rant for the day..... Whats funny is if you ever visit the boathouse you see 10 times as many rants about other idiot pleasure boaters but we always come back to the fisherman fishing the wrong areas and powerloading.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
It seems to be the normal mentaility of the Bertha-Better-You type. I have met a few courteous pleasure boaters, but the number of the BBY types far outweigh the good ones.
I just ignore the idiots and try to enjoy my time on the water, and for the most part stay out of the way of Bertha

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I have seen more issues with powerboat and pleasure boats on the lake than problems with fellow fisherman. Oh and furthermore I wish one of them had the rocks to splash me with there wake. It would not be to much fun if I got my hands on the person or persons. Considering 90 percent of the time I got two or three of my buddies with me fishing. And all of them are bigger than me.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
yea, those are funny points to make fishermen sound bad. kinda weird, kinda funny that the post even was thought of. and your 100% right about gull island, but atleast they can still come up with reasons to blame others for what they do. i dont complain about boaters that dont pay attention and turn their boat directly at me(happened last night). i dont complain about to much, well i could about fishflys but if i woulda kept my mouth shut, i wouldn't have eatin any,

im just happy to see some complaints in other sections of the forums, lets you know it could be worse.
we complain, but hmm, maybe we should bash people who we really have no problems with, ya know i had vere left to get around that guy, HOW INCONSIDERATE!!!!!

maybe he just needs some cranberry juice, my g/f drinks it when she's on her period

·
Registered
478 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jun 25 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mydol for the(m)asses

I have to make a comment about the boats sitting in the North Channel. It is illegal to anchor or obstruct traffic in a marked channel, except in the case of an emergency. It really is kind of a pain when there are 30 boats fishing in the snake at the end of the North.

Not bashing fisherman (which I am) or pleasure boaters (which I also am). I am just making a point that if you are drifting or anchored in the aforementioned area, expect to to get splashed.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Sorry guys and gal but I have to agree with them on the channel thing. It's been said many times before if you want to fish the channels get out there early and get out of there by 10am if you do not want to deal with the big wakes. This is part of sharing the lake.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I dont think its a joke either. They are legitimate concerns and if they arent voiced or dealt with all it becomes is us against them. Boats will get swamped and people can and probably will die. Its not worth it.

They dont understand why people fish in the channel (because the fish are there) and fisherman dont understand why they have to run so close or on plane and throw such a large wake (because its perfectly legal to do so and its expensive to get a large boat back on plane after you set down).

All legitimate concerns. All can be worked out. That area of the lake is HIGH traffic in the afternoons. Just like the mouth of Clinton or Metro. You wont find me fishing either place very often in the afternoon because of it.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Don't people know that there are nothing bud gobies in the middle of the channel? LOL. Have to understand that most people whining have two things in mind. Get to where they are going as fast as possible, drink their beers....and repeat. The only enjoyment they think they can get out of the lake is going to the Moot. Don't use their heads to enjoy much of anything else.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 25 2009, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I dont think its a joke either. They are legitimate concerns and if they arent voiced or dealt with all it becomes is us against them. Boats will get swamped and people can and probably will die. Its not worth it.

They dont understand why people fish in the channel (because the fish are there) and fisherman dont understand why they have to run so close or on plane and throw such a large wake (because its perfectly legal to do so and its expensive to get a large boat back on plane after you set down).

All legitimate concerns. All can be worked out. That area of the lake is HIGH traffic in the afternoons. Just like the mouth of Clinton or Metro. You wont find me fishing either place very often in the afternoon because of it.

I have to disagree to a point.... I agree with guys sitting in the channel, and I also agree that you shouldn't powerload. My problem is starting a post with "reason #36 why I hate fisherman". There are some real a-holes out there who think they own the lake. My problem is not with the concerns as much as it is with the attitude. Of course this carries over to all parts of the lake where the attitude is that everyone should get out of their way and all fishing boats are full of idiots who don't know how to boat. Just because it is legal to run on plane near a smaller boat does not make it right. Where does common courtesy, common sense and the well being of others in smaller boats play into this? I know there are differing opinions on this board but when was the last time the sherrif had to call in backup to patrol a fishing tournament? Like Mako said, lets stay tuned to see the Jobbieloser debacle again this year. Too many duechbags out there who will deliberately try to prove a point and do stupid things because their ego is the same size as their boat. Mini, I know you see both sides of the coin and try not to side with one or the other but it is very obvious if you read these post that the majority of these people truly believe that anyone in a fishing boat is below them when on the contrary I believe that most fisherman are safer, more courteous and respect the resource way more than any pleasure boater.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
They are just jealous that us fishermen can multi-task while out on the water. Seems their brain capacity is soley for avoiding collisions on the water...like that's hard to do.....yet, they are probably the main causes of most accidents on the water.

When's the last time two fishing boats crashed into each other? lol

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(kayceedee @ Jun 25 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 25 2009, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I dont think its a joke either. They are legitimate concerns and if they arent voiced or dealt with all it becomes is us against them. Boats will get swamped and people can and probably will die. Its not worth it.

I have to disagree to a point.... I agree with guys sitting in the channel, and I also agree that you shouldn't powerload. My problem is starting a post with "reason #36 why I hate fisherman". There are some real a-holes out there who think they own the lake. My problem is not with the concerns as much as it is with the attitude. Of course this carries over to all parts of the lake where the attitude is that everyone should get out of their way and all fishing boats are full of idiots who don't know how to boat. Just because it is legal to run on plane near a smaller boat does not make it right. Where does common courtesy, common sense and the well being of others in smaller boats play into this? I know there are differing opinions on this board but when was the last time the sherrif had to call in backup to patrol a fishing tournament? Like Mako said, lets stay tuned to see the Jobbieloser debacle again this year. Too many duechbags out there who will deliberately try to prove a point and do stupid things because their ego is the same size as their boat. Mini, I know you see both sides of the coin and try not to side with one or the other but it is very obvious if you read these post that the majority of these people truly believe that anyone in a fishing boat is below them when on the contrary I believe that most fisherman are safer, more courteous and respect the resource way more than any pleasure boater.

I respect your opinion and thanks for the kind words. I know the guy that poisted that. Rick is a great guy, a pleasure boater and a race boat guy. He doesnt fish, and thats ok with me, but I do know the title was in jest (or else he would have listed it as number 1...lol).

Trust me when I say I have been defending the fisher people on this site in the boathouse since the inception of the site. I got hammered for years for doing so. But I tell you what, I have opened more eyes over there and garnered a little respect for us "lowly" fisher poeple.

It happened every year with posts about fishing in the channel, powerloading, big boats not giving way to smaller craft, etc. There MANY fisherpeople on that side of the board too.

Bottom line is that we cant have shared visitation on the lake....lol But we CAN all get along. Sure there will be some idiots that want to antagonize the other guy/gal, but for the most part those folks over there have been fairly receptive to "our" point of view. We need to do the same.

And to generalize that statement with "any pleasure boater" is not correct. I know you know that, and I believe that you will retract that statement. There are idiots in all walks of life. No matter race, creed, religion, occupation, financial status, choice of recreation, etc.

Peace

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jun 25 2009, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They are just jealous that us fishermen can multi-task while out on the water. Seems their brain capacity is soley for avoiding collisions on the water...like that's hard to do.....yet, they are probably the main causes of most accidents on the water.

On this lake, kinda rare.

Other lakes? It actually happens too much.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 25 2009, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(kayceedee @ Jun 25 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 25 2009, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I dont think its a joke either. They are legitimate concerns and if they arent voiced or dealt with all it becomes is us against them. Boats will get swamped and people can and probably will die. Its not worth it.

I respect your opinion and thanks for the kind words. I know the guy that poisted that. Rick is a great guy, a pleasure boater and a race boat guy. He doesnt fish, and thats ok with me, but I do know the title was in jest (or else he would have listed it as number 1...lol).

Trust me when I say I have been defending the fisher people on this site in the boathouse since the inception of the site. I got hammered for years for doing so. But I tell you what, I have opened more eyes over there and garnered a little respect for us "lowly" fisher poeple.

It happened every year with posts about fishing in the channel, powerloading, big boats not giving way to smaller craft, etc. There MANY fisherpeople on that side of the board too.

Bottom line is that we cant have shared visitation on the lake....lol But we CAN all get along. Sure there will be some idiots that want to antagonize the other guy/gal, but for the most part those folks over there have been fairly receptive to "our" point of view. We need to do the same.

And to generalize that statement with "any pleasure boater" is not correct. I know you know that, and I believe that you will retract that statement. There are idiots in all walks of life. No matter race, creed, religion, occupation, financial status, choice of recreation, etc.

Peace

I have seen you defending us fisherman for years and it is appreciated. You are correct, I got carried away with the "any" pleasure boater comment. I meant "most" pleasure boaters!

Like Peks said, let's see how many boat collisions we see this year and how many involve fishermen. It blows my mind that in a piece of water as big as LSC two boats can find a way to collide with each other. I think most fisherman have an attitude like mine which is to just steer clear of these boats regardless if they are right or wrong.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 25 2009, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I respect your opinion and thanks for the kind words. I know the guy that poisted that. Rick is a great guy, a pleasure boater and a race boat guy. He doesnt fish, and thats ok with me, but I do know the title was in jest (or else he would have listed it as number 1...lol).

Agreed. Rick is a good guy and the post was tongue in cheek. As you noticed from his post he was bitching becuase he was courteous and slowed down around the guys in the channel vs bitching as he sped by swamping the guys.

I've met a lot of the non boating folks on the forums Casey and 95% believe in sharing the lake. They are the kind of people who go out of their way to give fishermen room out on the open lake and take their safety seriously. So when they see fishermen not giving them the same courtesy it gets their dander up which is understood.

I do love when these come up though cause I get to watch Mini do his best Henry Kissinger impression

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have seen some messed up boating on this lake, I don't remember it being like this when I was a kid 25+ yrs ago but could be that I have selective memory, and got back into it a handful of years ago, but when I see some body go blasting between a bunch of boats like an obstacle course I wonder why you would take a chance of swamping a parent who has taken a kid out for a morning of fishing in a fourteen ft tiller, my boat is an old bowrider so it doesn't effect me too much but it's just inconsiderate, these people can't be told anything cus they only think of themselves,
However maybe a spinning reel spooled with fine wire and a heavy sinker and big bobber and 6 lb backing ,will at least make somebody think.
Be safe everybody, the other guy out there may not care about you, so watch out for yourself.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jun 25 2009, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They are just jealous that us fishermen can multi-task while out on the water. Seems their brain capacity is soley for avoiding collisions on the water...like that's hard to do.....yet, they are probably the main causes of most accidents on the water.

normally its a power boat that rams a fishing boat

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Like I said on that thread...Until they can clean up their own house they shouldn't worry about us. They are worried about power loading and they are getting drunk and killing each other every other week....

Now as far as spending money to come off of plane in the channels...That pales in comparison to the amount of money they cost me as a Taxpayer because of their drunken Parties and whatever messes the Sherrif, Coast Guard and DNR have to clean up when they do something stupid....Like crash into each other...

This whole argument is a Joke......I think it is a product of this area...I have almost no issues on Grand Traverse Bay, Lake Charlevoix, Lake Michigan, or any of the other big water areas that I frequent...(Waters that I wish I could get to more)

I grew up as a Water Skier and a boating guy, and I shake my head every time I venture out on LSC for a weekend tournament....I don't fish on weekends unless I have too...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.