Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just installed 3 new rule 1100 GPH automatic bilge pumps in our boat. These are the type that require no float switch. Every 2-1/2 minutes the pump activates to sense impellor resistance. If no resistance is detected, it shuts off after about 1 second. If there is water in the bilge, the pump will continue unil there is no more water resistance on the impellor.

This all works fine and dandy and keeps our water level lower than ever, but what I don't like is the rush of water that comes back after the bilge shuts off. There is still water in the outlet line that cannot be completely pushed out that flows back after the pump shuts down.

Our solution is to install check valves at the bilge pumps. My question is, has anyone ever done this, as we'd like to draw from your experience?

The reason we want to do this is to keep our bilge as dry as possible and hopefully extend the life of our 91' Wellcraft Gran Sport which will inevitably have a rotted stringer issue. Anything we can do will be better than not doing anything at all. We just bought the boat in March and it's very clean and well cared for in the bilge. We'd like to keep it that way. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I don't see any problem with doing that. Just remember in the fall to clear the lines of any remaining water when you winterize.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(Spider @ May 11 2004, 03:46 PM)I don't see any problem with doing that. Just remember in the fall to clear the lines of any remaining water when you winterize.
Agreed

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
How about locating any sources of water entry? That way you don't have to worry about the water gettin anything wet and the pumps wont be contantly running wearing down the batteries.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only sources of water entry that we can see are the two rudder shafts and the propellor shafts. We just tightened these at the same time we installed the new bilge pumps.

At rest, nothing appears to drip anymore, at least nothing worthwhile. The fittings are always wet, but the water evaporates before it ever trickels down into the bilge.

We hardly have any water in there now, but it still seems to grow higher within about 3 days. The most water level we see now as measured at the center of the hull vee is about 1/4" deep. It's really nothing. Maybe it's the rain or perhaps there is another slow leak somewhere. Maybe the rear drian plug? Hard to tell now that it's in the water.

When we installed these bilge pumps, we made special brackets so we could position them into the lowest point of the bilge, otherwise they would have to be screwed onto the original mounting board in the center of the hull vee and this is not the lowest point. Since they require no float switch, you can pretty much put them as low as you can get them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts