Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Checked the mutant deer with the DNR

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Chefnutz 
#1 ·
Took the mutant doe to the DNR today and after several junior biologists looked at it they called out their big gun who took a time out from his budgetary phone conference. He skinned the ribs back and removed the scar tissue and revealed what looked like a partially healed over small .22 caliber bullet hole. Looks like a poacher took a pot shot at her that did not kill the deer. Apparently that small of a bullet even in the right place will sometimes not collapse both lungs and allow the deer to partially recover. The secondary infection from the bullet is what was killing the deer. The swollen jaw was from swollen lymph nodes fighting the infection. They aged her at 4.5 years old and figured the wound was a couple of weeks and old and that she was on her last leg. She was likely feverish and starving when I shot her which explains the odd behavior and skinny body. Probably only deer that ever walked in front of me during deer season that was actually happy it did.

See less See more
#4 ·
I appreciate the kudos but lets be honest. I was on a doe hunt and she was going down healthy or sick.
Just got lucky that she was sick and it worked out well. Yes she is edible. Just not supposto eat within a few inches of the infected area which was in the rib cage. I never grind the rib meat anyhow because it is more work than it is worth to me so no loss except she looks to be from ethiopia.

#9 ·
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Dec 10 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Tony @ Dec 10 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Alright, alright, I will take the credit, and the meat.

I would like some sloppy doe's now, with cheese and mustard

Donating that one to the Gilbert's wild game party. Come on out and enjoy. There will be a ton of wild game and beverages. Not to mention a few girls, who are as top gun would say, working their way through medical school.

#11 ·
QUOTE(Shep @ Dec 10 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great Job Tony!!!

Glad to see the deer isn't suffering anymore. Too bad we can't get the idiots who shot her with the .22
Agreed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.