Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very disturbed at he DNR or DEQ negligence on the over use of chemicals for weed control on the waters we fish. The lake owners want weed free water and do not care about the morning after effect. The fishing ahs gone down hill on local lakes due to over treating. All that is left is the cara algee the is only treatablewith copper sulfate (a heave metal). And the large mouth bass virus we are being blamed for try living in a room where you oxygen has been cut in half and tell me how you feel. DNR says its because of the heat, we don't have the heat of Florida. How do we fix this the DNR wont!!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Went camping on Lake Halloway over the summer and did some fishing, there was not a weed in the lake that we could find. Over the weekend we went swimming in the lake in about 10 feet of water, and I went down to the bottom and it was all dirt, not a single weed anywhere. This use to be a nice lake for fishing, but now, I do not know what the heck is going on. Makes you wonder what you are swimming in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holloway has been like that for at least 10 years. We as a club fishe it 10 years ago and 4 fish were caught. We will have more of the same action as the rest of the lakes get the same chemical treatments. This is the only wated we get.

Jon

·
Registered
72 Posts
A permit is required from the DEQ to apply chemicals to public waters. Problem is most folks want to use way more than the DEQ permit so yopu guessed it...they get a permit and then just apply more of the "good" thing, the chemical. a huge case was just settled on houghton or higgings lake regarding chemical use. a court decision allowed the "treat it" crowd of the lake put chemicals in the water. Before the decision could be appealed, planes and choppers moved in a dosed the lake overnight with a strong chemical called sonar...andy

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Not all weed treatments even require a permit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how or what can we as a fishing public do to change this? I don't want to be blamed for things like LMBV and lake owners are treating at will.

Jon

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
1) Make sure you vote, preferably an educated vote...which leads to #
2) Educate yourself on laws, regulations, procedures and the public persons who are involved. You don't have to do a lot all at once. I'd recommend getting to know who your local MDNR district personnel are, especially the biologists and law division. Also, the Dept of Environmental Quality (DEQ) is important since they handle things like wetlands permits and aquatic plant killing.
3) Go throught the www.michigan.gov/dnr site for lots of info. Permits for many individual requests are posted now and if no one questions them, they are valid. I'm not even as up on these things as I used to when I reviewed several wetlands dredge and fill permits every week. They quit sending these out in many cases now, so you have to actively seek them out and respond if necessary in a short amount of time. Many aquatic plant treatments don't need permits. Many are approved almost like a rubber stamp. Even some larger ones aren't much more involved because no one speaks out against them intelligently.
4) The most obvious problem I've always seen is the lack of involvement from anglers (and general boaters too) in an organized, intelligent manner in public processes. In the vast majority of public meetings I spoke at, anglers were outnumbered about 10 to 1 if represented by anyone besides myself at all. Anglers would complain bitterly about how the meetings went, but none took an hour or two to show up and say a few words when it counted. The complaining was pretty much a waste of time at that point. It really doesn't take that much work to accomplish really great things.

An example of education is the aquatic plant treatment issue. I invited a professional aquatic plant manager to a bass federation meeting years ago. I thought it went really well and was very educational. I also found some great info from scientist/professors at the University of Florida who have done many studies on plant management.

I used this information at many meetings and hearings including helping stop the use of grass carp in Michigan by speaking at a Michigan Senate hearing where I gave then Senator Vern Ehlers documents from that source (UF) that showed grass carp's least favorite food source is Eurasian milfoil, while one of their favorites it pondweed (cabbage). The proponents were trying to say that grass carp would control milfoil so that native plants such as pondweed could recover, whereas the scientific evidence showed that grass carp will seek out and eat all other types of preferred plants before they will eat milfoil. The bill never made it out of committee.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx for the response. I do believe the we have a great vioce we just need to get organized. I belong to OCBA with a fellow member from the DNR. Could you attend a club meeting and review some of these issues? We meet at the Oakland County Court House?

Jon

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Email dates and times and a contact name and phone number to me with directions to the court house. I'll see what I can do. It would be helpful if you let me know some specifics you'd like to talk about so I can do some homework first.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Mr. Kimmel,

(One L this time!)

I don't know why I didn't think of this. You would be a great speaker on this subject. I know for a fact that Jon is very passionate about this topic. (Hi jon!) I am also a member of the OCBA and this years club president. We would love to have you educate us on environmental issues and effective activism to promote change. Let's talk more about this. I will see Jon at our meeting tomorrow and discuss it with him and the rest of the club. In the meantime, here is the link to our clubs website. There are links on the homepage that bring up maps to the courthouse. Also has just about anything you would want to know about our club. (I especially like the results from our first tournament on St. Clair this year where I put a whoopin' on everybody.)Look us up and let's talk.

Dave
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/4845/

·
Registered
320 Posts
Mr. Kimmel,

(One L this time!)

I don't know why I didn't think of this. You would be a great speaker on this subject. I know for a fact that Jon is very passionate about this topic. (Hi jon!) I am also a member of the OCBA and this years club president. We would love to have you educate us on environmental issues and effective activism to promote change. Let's talk more about this. I will see Jon at our meeting tomorrow and discuss it with him and the rest of the club. In the meantime, here is the link to our clubs website. There are links on the homepage that bring up maps to the courthouse. Also has just about anything you would want to know about our club. (I especially like the results from our first tournament on St. Clair this year where I put a whoopin' on everybody.)Look us up and let's talk.

Dave
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/4845/

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
DAVE! You're the President?!? That changes everything!

Not really. Let me know if you want to do something and give me some particulars.
Dan

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
You're just talented, I guess

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting topic. I just happened to be browsing this site and came across it. I am currently doing research on this very topic at the University on South Florida. I have stacks of papers showing the detrimental effects of macrophyte(aquatic plants) removal. There are obviously many reasons why this is harmful, and my thesis is exploring which ones are the most important.

As mentioned earlier by someone, most of the time, permits aren't needed to use these chemicals, such as copper sulfate. Rarely used anymore because people finally figured out what a strong carcinogen it is.

On a side note, I was looking at this site because I am looking for a job in the Spring once I finish my thesis and was looking for something in the Lake St. Clair area. I grew up in the Midwest and have alot of friends in Detroit. Anyone know of anything in the area?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Welcome to the board Jeepers. As you can tell this is a very important subject in Michigan with all the wonderful lakes. Will your thesis be online for everyone to read it?

What do you need to know about the area? Your best bet would be to go over to the "general discussion" part of this board. There is a big group of great people that can answer just about anything you need to know. Whatever you do just don't tell them Rerun sent you.
(just kidding)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Rerun. Yeah, my thesis will be available online, once it's finished.

Not really any specific info I need on the area, as I've gotten to know if fairly well. I just got back from visiting some friends up there, which makes me want to move up there even more. Now all I need is a job....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well it's a new year and the lake are probably getting scheduled for the new years weed kill. Is there any chance, Dan you could get with Dave and attend a meeting of ours?

Jon

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Hello again,
I thought the plan was for Dave to get back with me whether or not your club was interested and when they were interested in having me visit a meeting. I've been sitting here waiting to hear back from Dave.

I just figured your club voted me down.
:-Dan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts