Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all my time reading this board, I've never heard anyone ever mention the Chenal A Bout Rond. This is the channel that juts off of the North Channel and runs down the south-east side of Strawberry Island.

Any experiences? Is there anything cool to do or see there?

Are Fisher or Goose Bay navigatible from this channel? Is there anything cool to see/do in these bays?

Sorry for the butt-load of questions,
gus

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Aug 20 2003, 07:16 PM)Also known as the Sni.....

I can get there with a bass boat....lol

Mini
????

is this an inside joke? i don't get it??

gus

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
No its not a joke....

The lake end of the channel is shallow and unmarked....I can get in there with a bass boat.

It is locally known as the Sni (long i)

Mini

·
Registered
179 Posts
We used to go wakeboarding in there all the time. You have to stay in the middle though. I assume it was dredged at one time because it is deep in the middle and comes to almost a sheer wall by the weeds. We'd take off in water over our heads and let go and ride out to the sides and be in water that was below our knees. Always glass in there during the week.

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Madmax @ Aug 20 2003, 07:35 PM)great place
madmax,

cool pic. is Fisher or Goose Bay possible (approx. 30" draft required)?

thanks,
gus

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
madmax,
is the pic with the inner tube taken from the backside (eastside) of Strawberry Is.?

what do you mean "when going thru Straw from N Channel?"

can you go from Sni to N Channel?

gus

G

·
There is a no-wake zone at the North Channel end and another behind the houses just north of Strawberry Is. Between them is about 2 1/2 miles where we used to ski, when we had a boat we could ski behind. Smooth water but if flows pretty good through there, so it was always cold.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
As a kid we used to go there (Fischer Bay) in a runabout through the Middle channel...shallow! The chart I have says 1 ft leading from Goose Bay. I don't think you'll be able to get there with your boat. I think that this was the original JN.

Not to sure about the Chenel

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
The Sni is one of the coolest places to be as you can see from Max's pics. Years ago I went through there on a big (38 ft.) boat from Goose Bay......One of these days it will be back up!

Used to take my old Searay back there...........Very peaceful.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
gcalan, The Sny is quite deep in the middle. Actually, it's not bad near the edges either! Take a chart and follow it. It's like it's a whole seperate world. Not much traffic since it basically ends when it gets to the lake (too shallow). Just watch your depth when you see it ope up to the lake, slow down and you'll find a totally cool new place to cruise. About half way between the North Channel and the lake on the Sny, to the West is the Baltimore Channel. Take a quick trip into it, you'll see a bunch of hidden houses on their own islands, along with the Poor Man's Yacht Club, which actually looks very cool. Sadly, the Baltimore ends at the lake also; but there's plenty of water before you get there.

Years ago, in higher water, you could get into the top of Fisher Bay from the Sny. You could get from the North Channel next to the North Channel Yacht Club straight into the lake, just South of Strawberry, and you could cut from the Sny into the North Channel near Grassy Island. I can't wait for the levels to go back up, that would be a great cruise!

Anyways, go down the Sny from the North Channel and don't worry! Take a chart and watch your depth, but there's plenty of water!!!!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Gus

I have a Vista 268 and Mini is right, the lake end of the chanel is VERY shallow. I wouldn't take my boat through there now, especially with water levels falling as the season goes on.

That being said it is ENTIRELY worth taking a run through to the end of the Chenal - one of my favourite things to do is to go out and have breakfast along there on a lazy Sunday morning. Don't know about this summer, but last summer there were about 250 swans nesting alongside the Chenal on the Goose Bay side. Really cool to go out there in the am, listen to all the birds and NPR (or CBC or Oscar Peterson - your pick), with a pot of coffee.

Just past the no-wake marker by the NCYC, you can see a cut into the back of Fisher Bay - the depth is about 5' - 6' all the way until you get to the bay itself -- then there was a series of shoals that brought the water level to about 18" befoe you fully got into the back end of Fisher Bay.

Fisher Bay was my first introduction to the lake about 8 years ago. When the water levels were higher, used to party back there (a la The 'Moot) all the time. Great place to go!

Bonne journee,
Scott.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Fischer bay is diffinatly not accessable now, as my dad and I tried taking the cut in our inflatable and ran a ground in that. We used to be able to get through there on my dads 34 formula. We could cut through fischer, from the sni to the middle channel, and then take another cut somewhere after browns into the moot. That certainly is not possible now. hopefully someday the water levels will go back up.

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
The opening to the snigh on the lake end is really beautiful. Robyn & I love to go there during the week to anchor & . . . swim.

White sandy bottom w/no rocks or shells. Very nice!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts