Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
ok - So I am in the process of convincing Cassie to do a persuasive speech on why drugs are a good thing. People that lived through the 60's (or if you have ever visited Michigan State) lend us a hand.
So far, I have:

the weaker cells die off first, "Secret Contributer"
Disco would have never happened
Sherlock Holms was an opium addict
Ernest Hemmingway
Curt Cobain would have never revitalized hard rock

We need specific events that could be construde as positive to the twisted mind.

·
Registered
612 Posts
How about 2 of the greatest rock Albums ever released.

1. The Beatles - Sgt Peppers
2. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Were most likely a direct result of Marijuana and LSD use.

Not that I'm condoning drug use.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I don`t know about the sixties......But I expanded my mind ALOT in the `80s......Acid, Mesculine, PCP, and that`s why I am a veggie today....not!

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
All I know is i lived throught the late 70s (high school years) which made the 60s seem tame. I am very lucky to be alive today.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
You'll have a damn hard time finding anything positive about recreational drug use. I'm a big proponant of free thinking people being free to choose behavior, but the problem with drug use is that once you make that first free choice, you aren't exactly free to choose anymore (at least most people have trouble breaking a dependency).

And keep in mind Sherlock Holmes was a fictional character - his 7 percent solution isn't good advice for real people. And some of us from the Sixties feel that drugs killed the spirit of the decade.

You might try the renegade board.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have read studies and articles that say marijuana is a good thing.

Certain countries it is legalized and many cultures accept it's use.

In these cultures there is much less illness related to heart attacks, strokes, ect. I just remember doing some research on this years ago. I agree if you are stressed or a hyper active person who cannot control themselves, taking a few puffs is not such a bad thing. It does calm you down.

I personally stopped smoking after high school, but think it is a much safer drug than Alcohol. Alcohol kills thousands a year with accidents, guns. There are so many assaults and spousal abuse which can be attributed to alcohol. Whereas if these people would have just took a puff, you can assume that most of these things would not have happened.

As for the HARD drugs like cocaine, heroine, ect. I think it would be FOOLISH to even make an attempt to say how these things are good. I have seen many many friends lose their families, houses and lives over these evil drugs. Add in that over 60-70% of Crimes comitted in the USA are drug related in one way, either buy them being high or getting money to get high. And that is not just in the US, Colombia and other countries are ruined because cocaine traffickers had so much money they demoralized their governments, people and their country.

Anyone who tried to give me any type of persuasive speech on any of the Hard drugs would quickly get the hell out of my face, there is nothing positive to say.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Read this again and see you wanted something satirical.

How about this,

Because of the widespread use of the drug there are now Millions of extra jobs in the US.

Lawyers- they make Billions a year off of their clients who are charged with crimes that are linked to drugs or drug use.

Prison Guards - The prison population is way overcrowded from drug use criminals. So now there are thousands of jobs in rural areas that can bring in no toher type of industry. Look at Jackson or some of the other areas of michigan, that is their major source of income.

Judges, Court Clerks, Reporters, Probation and Parole officers ect. - All these occupations have risen expotentially with drug use

Drug Counselors, Rehad Counselors-

FBI, DEA, police agencies- Tens of thousands of jobs here and the good old DEA

Also all the High-Tech gadgets the police departments have now, helicoptors, boats, all those are paid for from the Billions of seized assets and money from Drug dealers.

Drugs is a BIG business in America. There are Millions of people who are employed because drugs are legal. Without this buisness, probably half of those people named above would no longer be working and the Unemployment numbers would skyrocket.

·
AKA: Veronique
1,218 Posts
Great ideas, thank you!

I'll make that one of my main points, that the drug business helps our economy, then I'll discuss how it helps society in the sense that if fosters creative thinking (I'll probably just stick with marijuana) and then maybe I'll talk about it's affect on the brain, how it calms you down. It kills your brain cells but who needs those? We only use ten percent of them anyway right? Smoking marijuana will actually make you smarter. The stupid and weak brain cells will die first making you smarter by comparison.

Cool, I have an outline already! Please keep these ideas coming!

P.S. Like Al said, this will be a satirical speech, I am not being serious at all

·
A.K.A. Yo Eleven!
405 Posts
Ok hazy, here we go again with the Spartan bashing....why oh why is there so much hatred? Maybe if you smoked a little.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts