Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any comments about older Chris Crafts. After about a year and a half of shopping I finally found one I like. Its a 79 Chris Craft with twin 305's. Its in fairly good shape. I'm going for a test run tomorrow to check it out.

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
All I can say is survey survey survey
Best spent money when buying a used boat.

I think HazyMemory on the board does them

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks brinik, I'll look him up If I decide to buy it. Any idea on what that would cost? Also how much to insure a boat that size?

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
mostly there is a per foot cost for the survey. The survey should contain a replacement cost or value. I use nationwide for insurance and they needed a copy of the survey before they would insure me. Not sure where the tread is but there was some talk about insurance companies about a month ago. Might be in the boathouse about a month back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got a 79 281 CC catalina & like it alot. I had it surveyed & it was good, cost $10.00/ft 1 1/2 years ago. Pay special attention to the stringers. They can be real expesive to fix,-may cost more than the boat is worth. I bought mine from a broker on the nautical mile. I almost bought a similar boat down on Catawba Island. I had that boat surveyed & the surveyor advised me not to buy it-cost 10.00/ft but saved me thousands of dollars & aggravation. So I wound up having 2 boats surveyed & bought one. In a way it seems a waste of money if the survey comes out bad, but it will save you a ton of money in the long run. The survey will also give you some bargaining power with the seller. Any older boat is bound to have a few things wrong with it, most sellers will be willing to do a little negotiating when a 3rd party brings these things to their attention. A good surveyor will pay for himself.
I've had to do alot of tinkering with it but that goes with the territory on an older boat. I really like the classic style & the cabin has alot of room. We plan to go to Kelley's next week in it. I had Don Rzeppa survey mine. Let me know if you get it we can compare notes.
Jerry

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Sorry to jump in on this thread so late guys. Thankyou Gary (GaryDebs) for bringing it to my attention.

Whether you employ me to survey your perspective boat or not, definately get a survey. It can save you a lot of money. This week I surveyed an old Chris 38 Commander. I brought several things to the attention of the buyer, and seller. If at all possible, it is better for you to get a survey out of water. That way the surveyor can get to look at the bottom and the transome. On your sea trial, pay very close attention to vibrations. Excessive vibrations are a sign of possible prop or worse damage. Old Chris Crafts are built very well so the age is not that much of a concern if the boat has been maintained.

Thank's again Gary

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Smooth Opp & Hazy. The boat is in the water and comes with the slip for the remainder of this season. I also like the classic style of the older Chris Crafts. This owner has refinished most of the teak and has done a nice job. All that's left to do is the railing and I told him if I buy it I'd like to refinish is so I can learn how to do it properly. It has a beautifull wodden ladder I think is the original one. He uses an aluminum one cause the wodden one is for show only. The cabin is ok but could use some updating. I plan on using it the rest of the season then
winter it in my yard to do the updating for next season.
Smooth op, I'll look you up if I get it. I'd like to compare notes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
dno
I'm starting to do the bow hand rail on mine now-taking the stantions apart & rebedding them. FYI I found out they are thu bolts. I keep mine at Harber PlaceII at 9 & Jefferson
Jerry

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The one I'm looking at is at Harbor 9 Marina. Sounds like your right next door. I may move it next year cause I live in the South River & jefferson area near Metro Pky.

·
Registered
39 Posts
dno
Yeah we're right nxt door. I've seen acouple of nice Chris Crafts in there. There's a white & green one just accross from where I'm at. I think it's called Tureen or something like that. You can see my boat if you look to the right when you're pulling out. Harbor Place II is at the Condos, there are only a few boats in there. How did your test drive go?
Jerry

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It got postponed till noon tomorrow. The guy thought it would be too cold and didn't want to drive from White Lake where he lives. I'll post the results when I get back tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just git back from the test drive. Did some maneuvering in the well and idled out into the lake. Powered up to full throttle and went about a half mile then felt the boat lurch and come off plane. The port engine had died suddenly. Before this everything was fine and running smooth. The owner checked the fuses on the dash and most of them were blown. The starboard engine was still running so we limped back to the well. He had a bitch of a time getting it back into the slip. Not a good thing to have happen when your trying to sell a boat! He said he never had this happen before and would have the guy at the marina look at it and get it fixed. I told him I'd be willing to try it again when its fixed next week. I guess this is what you can expect with a 25 year old boat. Oh well better luck next time!

·
Registered
39 Posts
dno
It might not be all bad- might be a good negotiating tool for you. Get him down have it surveyed & you'll probaly be able to get him down some more. When I first took mine out last summer one of the engines died occassionally. I found out latter that it had been sitting for about 2 years. Onece I got some good gas into it & changed the fuel filters it ran OK.
Jerry

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The first time he took it out this season it was running rough. He had the marina guy look at it and he installed fuel line driers to keep condensation out of the fuel. I was paying attention to the engines cause I knew this, Before the port engine died they were running very smooth. Just as I thought "I might buy this boat" The port engine stopped. I think its just a minor electrical problem. Thats why I'll give it another try next week. The wife is a little woried though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
These boats are pretty simple. One of the advantages is that most of the parts can be had at an auto parts store. I don't know what to say about the fuses. Something had to make them blow. It's probably something minor, but by all means have the owner fix it. When my engines quit on me, it was definitely a fuel problem. If this guy hasn't run this boat very much ther may be some bad fuel in it. I would check the fuel filters. Boats of this year have galvanized tanks. If there's red flakes in the filters, the galvanizing is wearing off-that's not good. FYI There's a real good mechanic at Propellar Basin (22 & Jefferson). He's reasonable & is more or less an expert on CC's
Jerry

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I focus mostly on structural surveys. Tom Howe 586 246 4330 is who I recommend for mechanical surveys to people that ask. He is a good guy and he does good honest work. He used to work for cruisader engines with John Miniachi for like 20 years or something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts