Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Really like these!!! Got the wife on board as well. Now I just need to sell my boat so I can go shopping!! I know they're old, and not hot rods, and whatever else, but I just want one. I think their styling is terrific, and they have the reputation of being well built.......

Yes this is a pointless post.....................

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
I have a marina neighbor with a 30 foot version of that boat. I think one of the neatest feature on his is that the cockpit windshield opens at the bottom. Great for cleaning. For some reason bugs like to get into that small area where the windshield meets the fiberglass. Talk about fun to clean out.

·
Registered
167 Posts
When you start looking, I think you will better off looking at a 28 footer with twins. Just ask ShiverMeTimbers he has my old 1979 Chris Craft that I had for 15 years and I was the 3rd owner. They are great boats the price.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would rather stay smaller with the single, for various reasons, but what is it that you recommend the larger with twins for? I know they maneuver easier with twins, but what else?

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
The guy I bought my first boat from replaced it with a new 281 Catalina. They had two kids and they all LOVED that boat. He went from a single (in the one he sold me) to twins and REALLY liked the manuverability. I liked the way the boat looked and the way it handled the rougher stuff (he was up in Sanilac)

Easier to manuver, almost twice the reliability (if something goes wrong with one engine/trans/prop). You lose a little MPG, but not a ton.. but that all depends on how you drive anyways.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I am digging the one I have. There is a 28 footer for sale just a few boats from mine for around 11K.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have a 77 with a hard top and I freakin LOVE that boat. Docking a single screw inboard is a little tricky but it's super economical, easy to work on and seaworthy. no other 25 footer has the amount of room you get with an old chris.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have a 1984 Chris 281 with twin 305's. Love it. Great manueverability and lots of room. The older Chris's are a lot of boat for the money and built like a tank. Even passed a Dennis Biel survey.
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.