Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love Chrsitmas it is one of my favorite holidays! I have an idea I would like to share:

There is an organization where you adopt a family that is not able to have a Christmas. They give you the ages and a list of what the children would like. Where I used to work did this and it was very rewarding. Then you get to give the family the stuff yourself. (Often it is small group ~5 people)

I think it is great. Not only are you just giving, you can see how it makes them feel 1st hand!! I would be willing to get the information for this if peeps are interested.

LSCN'ers have great hearts and we could probably make a few families VERY happy. We can even have different groups that could play Santa!!!

I would just like some input as to whether this is something you would like to participate in.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Count me in for a donation to help out. We also use to do this years ago when I worked at a job shop and we use to deliver the food/gifts to the family. It was a great feeling to help others. Thanks for bringing this up Girlie. Let me know how to help or where to send you some cash??

·
Registered
70 Posts

Hey , I love charity work.
I give about 30 hours aweek .

I have adopted 6 families already,
but if you are willing to get more info-I will be very happy to adopt more.

Hard to believe, the season is upon us.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I'm in too Girlie - Christmas is also my favorite time of year too

Is it time to start playing my Vince Guiraldi Charlie Brown x-mas cd yet??

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sounds like a fine idea tome. Myparents did the same thing when i was 9 0r 10. Taught me an invaluable lesson i would like to pass on to my son.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you guys think would be the best way to collect funds?

I talked with Capt' Mike he said we could use PayPal.

Collecting money at TNT's is also an option!!!!

Fou.... sounds like you are an expert!!! That is great!
!!

This is good because it can involve not only LSCN members, but their kids too. Kids are awesome resources for what are the going gifts!!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
GREAT IDEA!

You can get a family from the Macomb County Food Bank or Macomb County Social Services.

I've been a member of the Sterling Heights KIWANIS Club since 1982 & we supply over 300 families with food & gifts throughout Macomb County. We supply the local schools with boxes for each classroom, then spend a weekend sorting it before delivering. We get our names from the above groups.

Another good group is the CareHouse in Mt.Clemens.

While I'm on a roll here, I'd like to take Girlie's idea a step futher.

The one thing that I've noticed over the years is how much attention the underpriviliged rec'v around the Holidays, but are forgotten the rest of the year.

I made deliveries to groups like Turning Pt & the Food Bank & find sometimes dozens of crates of fresh food just sitting outside. They outrightly state they have no place to store it & besides, there is no way they can use it all before it goes bad!

I'd suggest starting a LSCN Foundation or similar to manage an ongoing effort.

TAXMAN? Can you help us out?

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
OPERATION GIRLIES GOOD IDEA.

I got a kick a$$ Santa Suit.
Being the Grand Marshal of Tuedsay Nights I would have no problem assisting in fund raising, Im all about this kind of crap, you know.
Seriously, I would even volunteer my home for a gift wrapping station/X-mas Party.----Oooooh sounds like a good time. Wrapping gifts while sipping some drinky POOOOS.

FYI. I volunteer to be Santa at a X-mas Party for the mentally challenged. I do it for free, they usually tip me 20 bucks after several attempts from me to decline I take the 20 bucks and go buy a well deserved and very much needed case of BUD.

How ever lets not change the subject/topic.

Girlie, you can count on me for anything you need.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(INSTIGATOR @ Nov 1 2003, 01:54 PM)GREAT IDEA!

You can get a family from the Macomb County Food Bank or Macomb County Social Services.

I've been a member of the Sterling Heights KIWANIS Club since 1982 & we supply over 300 families with food & gifts throughout Macomb County. We supply the local schools with boxes for each classroom, then spend a weekend sorting it before delivering. We get our names from the above groups.

Another good group is the CareHouse in Mt.Clemens.

While I'm on a roll here, I'd like to take Girlie's idea a step futher.

The one thing that I've noticed over the years is how much attention the underpriviliged rec'v around the Holidays, but are forgotten the rest of the year.

I made deliveries to groups like Turning Pt & the Food Bank & find sometimes dozens of crates of fresh food just sitting outside. They outrightly state they have no place to store it & besides, there is no way they can use it all before it goes bad!

I'd suggest starting a LSCN Foundation or similar to manage an ongoing effort.

TAXMAN? Can you help us out?
Wow!!! Good idea!!! Thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Great idea! I know we'd donate money - and I could help shop/wrap gifts, etc. Nothing makes you feel better than donating time and effort for a great cause!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
would like to donate but be anonymous. just post a ddress where to send to...

have charlie brown x mas song stuck in my head now that someone mentioned it,,,,

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(Evil Shot Girl @ Nov 1 2003, 05:26 PM)Great idea! I know we'd donate money - and I could help shop/wrap gifts, etc. Nothing makes you feel better than donating time and effort for a great cause!
Wrapping, shopping there is lots to do!!! I will get some specifics and I will keep everybody posted!!!!

Any ideas feel free to share them!!!!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TTT

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Great Idea Girlie, set it up, let us know when, where, how, who, how much, ect....
thanks !
Giving is very rewarding to me. A smile is worth a million words, goes double for childrens smiles

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.