Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good quality clamp-on rod holder? Any suggestions?

I have no place on my boat to mount permanent rod holders and I want to try for Musky…

Thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Check these out. Most guys swear by them.

Down-East Automatic Rod Holders
The finest rod holder ever made for the serious troller. A favorite for years because of its versatility in allowing both of your hands to remain free until you get a strike. When a fish hits, you simply bring your rod straight up. Adjusts to any elevation (up or down) and any angle from the boat. Made of sturdy, non-rusting alloy casting and folds compactly to go into your tackle box. Treated to resist saltwater. The Pistol Grip Bolt-On model is designed to bolt permanently in place. The Double Clamp Pistol Grip has double gunwale clamps to withstand the hefty strikes of large fresh and saltwater fish. The Single Clamp model is designed for use on standard to mid-sized fishing boats where you can attach screw-clamp directly to gunwale. The Bolt-on model is designed for larger boats with wide rails that require bolting directly to the boat. Made in USA.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I've been using them for the last 3 years for trolling for both Walleye and Muskie. The only thing I will say is keep a few extra 1/4-20 1 inch carriage bolts and wing nuts. You will move them so many times sooner or later the wing nut will end up overboard. Best to have a spare.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
QUOTE(snowman @ Jun 22 2004, 03:46 PM)I've been using them for the last 3 years for trolling for both Walleye and Muskie. The only thing I will say is keep a few extra 1/4-20 1 inch carriage bolts and wing nuts. You will move them so many times sooner or later the wing nut will end up overboard. Best to have a spare.
Good advice; seems as though I only lost them before I bough a couple of spares. I swear I have not even dropped one in the boat since. Go figure.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
believe this or not... a couple years ago i was scampering for a cool gift for my parents (very avid fisherpeople who LIVE for their 2 weeks on Otsego Lake) pertaining to fishing. i happened across some clamps as you mentioned at meier's in fraser. they were marked down on clearance, so i scooped em up for them and my bro & sis-in-law. they ended up being such a steal, because they recoginized the brand (i didn't) and they knew the quality (i didn't) as they were the same quality as the cabelas only a whole heckuva alot cheaper. a fluke, maybe... but it made some fisherpeeps vedy vedy thrilled. oh... and i guess they have really good strength to handle the big fishes.

so don't harp on wives/girlfriends who scour for the deals... you never know what department those deals may come in!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts