Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys still take boats to Mount Clemens? I was driving by the first bridge the other day and it looked pretty shallow and real dirty.LOL. I like the waterway but something needs to change. Last summer I took 2 trips down the river. I can deal with black water and smell but I noticed big chunks of poo bolth times floating down the river in many spots. Why cant people take care of the waste! I think people are pigs that do that and I have a good idea that same people that boat on the river dump the waste. I know we have a huge problem at Metro with e coli but root of the problem is the River!

So what you guys think.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
QUOTE(Big_Z @ Mar 5 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How many of you guys still take boats to Mount Clemens? I was driving by the first bridge the other day and it looked pretty shallow and real dirty.LOL. I like the waterway but something needs to change. Last summer I took 2 trips down the river. I can deal with black water and smell but I noticed big chunks of poo bolth times floating down the river in many spots. Why cant people take care of the waste! I think people are pigs that do that and I have a good idea that same people that boat on the river dump the waste. I know we have a huge problem at Metro with e coli but root of the problem is the River!

So what you guys think.
I go up the Clinton once every year for the Mount Clemens Fire works.. Not sure if I'm going to make the trip this year or not. Depends on my gas budget. Alot of my budget is going to be burnt up this year with a trip to Texas to visit my daughter in June so my boating trips are going to be very limited. I'm afraid my boat is going to be more of a floating cottage this season.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I see the same thing in the spillway and it totally grosses me out. I always said if I fell in there I hope I die because I don't think you can ever wash that off. I recall a news story back a few years ago that found a few houses upstream basically dumping their raw sewage right into the clinton river. I'm SURE its still going on. Kills me when I see guys fishing in there!

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
The river and the spillway are nasty at times, but not that bad. I have never seen a chunk of poo floating down the river. Plenty of logs and other debris, never a lump of crap. But I know it happens when there is a heavy rain and the sewage systems in communities to the west overflow, they dump a bunch of crap into the lake.

It's not an issue of people dumping, it's a matter of cities who never adequately upgraded their sewer systems to deal with population increases. Their sh*t flows downhill, or in this case, downriver.

Then it gets to the lake, hangs a right, and flows down toward the river.

Frankly, when i'm swimming in the lake, I prefer to be in the flats or north of the clinton river.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Wait a minute...theres something corny about this story

Really though, unless somebody took a dump 200 feet upstream, wouldnt it dissolve before long or at least sink? Plus if you saw a chocolate hot dog floating by, wouldnt you see some TP with skid marks on it too?

Regardless, I spent some time cutting across the river this past summer on a 11' Inflatable, and I still wouldnt ever want to fall in! Never saw human waste floating past, but several times did see lots of garbage (cans, bottles, bags, misc. junk).

·
Registered
7 Posts
That "Poo" is actually moss and algae clumps that separate from the river bed, rocks and sea walls and in-turn float down stream. Not to say that there is not a lot of sh*t that floats down the river but it's not solid waste that you are seeing. Those are actually baby-ruth candy bars.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
QUOTE(Madprops @ Mar 17 2010, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That "Poo" is actually moss and algae clumps that separate from the river bed, rocks and sea walls and in-turn float down stream. Not to say that there is not a lot of sh*t that floats down the river but it's not solid waste that you are seeing. Those are actually baby-ruth candy bars.

I never knew Baby-Ruth's had corn in them? Hmm... must be the vegetarian version ....

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Unfortunately, communities (and people) don't realize the far-reaching consequenes of their actions (and their inaction).

FYI ... http://www.cityofclawson.com/PDFs/RedRunSt...rFlyer%2709.pdf
What they don't mention is that when a really big storm happens the overflow facility can't handle it and then, well sh*t happens.

The added insult to injury is that in the past Lansing referred to this as "Macomb's" problem (thanks guys).

Admittedly, much of the pollution is home-grown - case in point - Mt. Clemens has a woefully antiquated combined sewer system. I spent too many times as a boy (and young adult) scrubbing out my grandparent's basement after the spring rains overloaded the system and filled their basement with 6"-24" of raw untreated sewage when the floor drains backed up.

On the (disgusting) upside, a bit of biological waste actually helps the fish population There are actually bodies of water that are so clean (nearly sterile) that little/no plant life exists, and hence - few/no fish.

FWIW, the Clinton now supports salmonids (not possible in the 1970's when I swam in the Clinton) - they require much cleaner, more oxygenated water than other species (the Civil/Sanitation engineering term is BOD-5 level - IIRC).

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I digress then as I was under the assumption the "clumps" were fecal matter. But lets be honest...We've all had floaters, sinkers and coatings during our discharges.

I still won't be in any hurry to swim near there. And to think that we swam at Beacon back in the day. Maybe thats what happened to me???

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well Metro is the same way. You see a floater and then 40 feet away you see drunk kids swiming. LOL if they only knew! Or they know but liquor says its OK.
Or it belongs to them.LOL I trailer my boat and see boats at the ramps leaking sh*t all the time. I mean nice size oil spots but people just dont care. Then you wonder why dead fish is all over the place.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
QUOTE(SKUZA @ Mar 22 2010, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I digress then as I was under the assumption the "clumps" were fecal matter. But lets be honest...We've all had floaters, sinkers and coatings during our discharges.

I still won't be in any hurry to swim near there. And to think that we swam at Beacon back in the day. Maybe thats what happened to me???

We are still trying to figure out what happened to you, but thats a good start!

QUOTE(Big_Z @ Mar 22 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well Metro is the same way. You see a floater and then 40 feet away you see drunk kids swiming. LOL if they only knew! Or they know but liquor says its OK.
Or it belongs to them.LOL I trailer my boat and see boats at the ramps leaking sh*t all the time. I mean nice size oil spots but people just dont care. Then you wonder why dead fish is all over the place.

Hahah!! Ive actually seen somebodies waste tank vent spew ca-ca doo-doo on a hot summer day. Talk about gross.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts