Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is appears that the Ohio DNR will invoke a closed season on Lake Erie for the months of May and June. The DNR is schedule to take action on this in October 2003. A friend of mine emailed the Ohio DNR and he was told catch and release will be allowed during those two month but no fish will be allowed to be retained, including a trophy bass, as some of the bordering states allow.

Our club has been going to Sandusky in May to have an early season tournament due to our closed season here in Michigan. Now that will no longer be an option either.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
That's not all.....I've heard that Erie will be closed for walleye as well for March, April on the Mich side. Anyone know for sure???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please help us out in Ohio. We in Ohio have been watching the Mich. DNR Question this topic for years. With the Mich. DNR considering a Catch and release Season for 2004 it looks like the Ohio DNR is two or three years behind (as usual). If the Ohio DNR would only talk to the bordering States and work together we would have a much better fishery. The E-Mail I sent to the Ohio DNR was replied to with an explanation that the Smallmouth are taken off the beds and the Gobies eat the eggs. My reply was to control the Gobies and not take my fishing away from me. I pay good money for fishing license and I would like to use it more than three months a year. Truth be known it was no Russian Troller that dropped ballast it was the DNR's stocking Gobies to control Zebra Mussels. Please let your voice be heard. Don't let them take your Bass fishing away from you.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(Bassing Pro @ Aug 12 2003, 09:14 AM)Truth be known it was no Russian Troller that dropped ballast it was the DNR's stocking Gobies to control Zebra Mussels. Please let your voice be heard.
Source????

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
That is so far from the truth.....

There is another PAC meeting later this month, we will be discussing the findings of the Lake Erie Commission. I will know more about the Erie regs in Michigan at that time.

Mini

·
Registered
927 Posts
whats this about the gobie conspiracy?

where did ya hear that one?

that is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. when did the dnr get such a bad reputation. all i am hearing about the sept lately is bad things. why would they release gobies into the great lakes. i wonder if they are responsible for the snakeheads and asian carp also. maybe they released them into out lakes and rivers to get rid of those pesky gobies?!?!?!

just when you thought you heard it all.

madman himself

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
The root of the issue is this - why would the Ohio DNR take such a drastic measure when they are several years away from any meaningful results on whether or not gobies actually impact the bass populations? My source for this is one of the Ohio DNR fisheries biologists at the Sandusky Research Unit.

Someone must be pushing real hard (can you give me a big knee-jerk reaction anyone?) for this to happen. Who and why are the important questions?

Do anglers want their bass resources managed by science, OR by uneducated opinion/biased minority/the 'this way is easier than what really needs to be done' method/anti-tournament pressure/?anti-fishing pressure/etc (you pick which one)?

If the majority of Ohio anglers really want this change, AND tournaments anglers agree it is necessary and are willing to go along, then that is there business. If they think this change guarantees that the fishing will get even better, then they still haven't read any studies and haven't been paying attention to those who have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts