Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. As a lot of you know, I'm a Coastie, I'm also a member of the Coast Guard Auxillary. This Thursday we're having our first meeting of the year, and we're always looking for motivated, energetic, new members. The Coast Guard Auxillary is a non-profit, volunteer driven organization that specializes in search and rescue, public education, vessel examinations, public awareness, and assisting the regular coasties when needed. I know a few of you have expressed interest in the Auxillary, hence I would like to extend an invitation to all whom are interested. The meeting is at the Bruce Post, on Jefferson and eleven mile, at 7:30, this coming Thursday. This is a unique opportunity for those of you that have always yearned for a "purpose" when boating. We're looking for crewman (search and rescue), vessel examiners, and representitives for public education. The Coast Guard Aux also provides the best training around. The crewman and seamanship training is the same that the active duty personnel receive. For the last few years, the Coast guard Aux has been first on scene in some of the biggest search and rescue cases of the year. It's an exciting time of the year. We'll be starting our training sometime next month. Do you have what it takes?? Let me know, we're looking for some young blood.

PM ME IF INTERESTED!

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Mr. Big, how much actual time is involved? Is it like the reserves where you commit a weekend a month? Can you illustrate more on your involvement?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, here's the deal with the involvement. First you go to boot camp......... Just kidding
, in all seriousness, you put in as much or as little time as you wish. It is what you make it. For someone who wants to utilize the training and reap the benefits of the Auxillary, it will take time and some dedication. Will you have to change your whole life? No, not at all. I will say this, if you have a passion for the water and helping others, you'll find the time. I work full time, have five boats, Have a nine year old boy, Attend school at night, and I fullfill my obligations for the CG Reserve. Time IS precious, I can write a book on it, but you have to go with what your heart tells you to do. Really the best thing is to come to a meeting to see if it gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling, then decide if it's right for you.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Sounds very intriguing. I'm thinking seriously about it. I'll PM you.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, no age or weight requirement. I do believe there are some fitness requirements for one to be a crewman aboard a Aux vessel. I wouldn't worry about it though.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(JABBERJAWZ @ Jan 7 2004, 03:27 PM)I will be there. What the hell. Can you give us the address to the CG station, so I can get a mapquest?
Hey Jeff! How ya' feelin?

Just an FYI, the meeting is at the Bruce Post on 11 and Jefferson, at 7:30. We use the Shores station for all the training, but that comes later. I'll be at the Post around seven if anybody would like to come by earlier and have a beer or a burger before the meeting.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't kid yourself TPF. We have a variety of people aboard. Young, middle age, old, and ancient. Same with weight; skinny, or larger, it really dosen't matter. It's all about the fellowship really. A bunch of people that have a passion for a common cause, and boats!

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
QUOTE(Mr. Big @ Jan 7 2004, 11:30 AM)Don't kid yourself TPF. We have a variety of people aboard. Young, middle age, old, and ancient. Same with weight; skinny, or larger, it really dosen't matter. It's all about the fellowship really. A bunch of people that have a passion for a common cause, and boats!

Sounds like a good thing..

I'll PM you later...

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(Mr. Big @ Jan 7 2004, 12:16 PM)QUOTE(JABBERJAWZ @ Jan 7 2004, 03:27 PM) I will be there. What the hell. Can you give us the address to the CG station, so I can get a mapquest?

Just an FYI, the meeting is at the Bruce Post on 11 and Jefferson, at 7:30. We use the Shores station for all the training, but that comes later. I'll be at the Post around seven if anybody would like to come by earlier and have a beer or a burger before the meeting.
I am feeling much better, thanks. Where would you want to meet before the meeting for a burger, and a beer? I will definitely meet up with you before.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(Mr. Big @ Jan 7 2004, 12:16 PM)QUOTE(JABBERJAWZ @ Jan 7 2004, 03:27 PM) I will be there. What the hell. Can you give us the address to the CG station, so I can get a mapquest?

I'll meet you earlier for a beer. Seven? Plan on me attending.

Thank God there's no weight requirements!!!

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Its at the Bruce Post, they serve burgers and beer there. Sounds like a party Wawhoooo.

J/King

I might attend as well, if anything it may be a great learning experience. Plus I have a little more time on my hands then the usual peep. So its worth looking into so like I said I MIGHT attend as well.

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
Hey buddy!

I won't be able to help out THIS year, but am very interested in the future!

Right now, per our prior conversations, I AM very interested in your CG Boaters Certification program for my kids! Please let me know when you've put together a schedule!

THANKS!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(INSTIGATOR @ Jan 7 2004, 07:02 PM)I AM very interested in your CG Boaters Certification program for my kids! Please let me know when you've put together a schedule!

THANKS!
Sounds good Steve. I should have some class dates real soon for ya'. You'll be the first to know!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(JABBERJAWZ @ Jan 7 2004, 05:51 PM)Where would you want to meet before the meeting for a burger, and a beer?
Hey Jeff. I'll be at the Bruce Post around seven. Like CBJ said, they have a full bar and serve good burgers. The beer is priced right too!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts