Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was stoped and boarded on the DR near Belle Isle on Saturday evening by the CG for no appearent reason. After checking for all safety items the CG asked if I wanted to take a breathalyzer. I told him it was up to him and didn't think it was my option. My buddy at the back of the boat claimed the other CG guy said that I should have said no. I didn't know I had an option. Does anyone know if you can refuse the test? I also wonder what they would do if the driver blew over the legal limit. He was already asking who else could operate the boat. I wonder if they would have called the sherriff or just had someone else operate the boat. I had eight others on board. I was the only one without a drink in my hand. I guess it looked like we were having too much fun not to stop us for "courtesy" check.

I was well under the legal limit by the way.

BEWARE....DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
CG is law enforcement, so I would think they could arrest someone commiting a crime.

Now if it was the sheriff I don't think there would be much of question.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I was stopped on the Detroit River and breathalyzed as well on Saturday evening. They did not give me much of an optionthough. I was right by the Detroit Yacht Club and the Coast guard pulled a U turn well after passing me to come get me. There were other boats making wake in the no wake zone and they got me making no wake. It was me and other young people on board and yes my passengers were drinking. After all the safety checks they asked me about drinking and also asked me if anyone else could drive, to which I responded, " Yes but that won't be neccessary because I am ok to drive sir". Passed the breathalyzer and went on my way but I felt somewhat profiled and pick on just because I am young.
I guess they were trying to get people for operating under the influence down there. Glad they struck out on two of us.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Laura.

BTW....The CG said that they typically don't stop people for a wake in the no wake zone at Belle Isle. They said they leave that up to the sherriff.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If the Coast Guard determined that you could not pilot the vessel and they also determined that no one else could, they would have no need to call the sherriff unless they were too busy to take care of the situation themselves. When you use navigable waters you do not have the same rights as you do on land. They do not need reasonable cause to pull you over. They need no reason at all. They can take many actions up to and including impounding your boat on the spot.

They do not need other law enforcement to do this.

Having said that, they are primarily looking to make sure everyone is safe.

fenfen

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
QUOTE(steeveau @ Jun 15 2009, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Laura.

BTW....The CG said that they typically don't stop people for a wake in the no wake zone at Belle Isle. They said they leave that up to the sherriff.

does anyone have a map of the no wake zones in the detroit river.... i've always been under the thought that anywhere in the channel on the US side of belle isle was ok to run for 26 and under boats......

not sure though....

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
QUOTE(Manuka @ Jun 15 2009, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks

well, thats an area that rarely has the no wake rule obeyed... i see everything from 18 foot fishing boats to 40+ footers hauling a$$ through there.....

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Note that the area right in the middle of the channel between Belle Isle and the Detroit shoreline can get a little thin, depth-wise. I was told that it was used as a dumping ground for dredged material back in the day, but I'm not sure how true that is. Been years since I've been down that way.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
QUOTE(steeveau @ Jun 15 2009, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Laura.

REAL NICE
Thanks for doing your job CG. That is such bull sh*t....

·
Registered
16 Posts
As stated it is not marked well (if hardly at all) and the CG have said that they really don't bother with that since it is marked so poorly (which is very nice of them) but the sheriff does (not as nice). But your right there are very few people that obey the no wake and I would bet they are usually people that have been busted before or know the rules.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
QUOTE(dockrocker @ Jun 15 2009, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Note that the area right in the middle of the channel between Belle Isle and the Detroit shoreline can get a little thin, depth-wise. I was told that it was used as a dumping ground for dredged material back in the day, but I'm not sure how true that is. Been years since I've been down that way.
(Scott's) Middle Ground? It's someone's name, not sure...
Many years ago, we were running down to PIB with another boat, beautiful Friday morning, just screwing around... the guy driving the other boat had a *pucker* moment when he looked down and saw 3' on his depth finder....

·
Registered
151 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Jun 15 2009, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(dockrocker @ Jun 15 2009, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Note that the area right in the middle of the channel between Belle Isle and the Detroit shoreline can get a little thin, depth-wise. I was told that it was used as a dumping ground for dredged material back in the day, but I'm not sure how true that is. Been years since I've been down that way.
(Scott's) Middle Ground? It's someone's name, not sure...
Many years ago, we were running down to PIB with another boat, beautiful Friday morning, just screwing around... the guy driving the other boat had a *pucker* moment when he looked down and saw 3' on his depth finder....

Law enforcement was heavier than usual last weekend for Red Bull races. We saw CG, border patrol, Detroit police, DNR, and Canadians.

Boats get caught in that shallow ground near Belle Isle after fireworks as well, be careful. Keep the red buoys to your left.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It is no wake from the North tip of Belle Isle to the Belle Isle bridge. It is BS that they do not enforce the no wake rule but will randomly stop and give brethalyzers to boaters following the rules. Right here you have two cases of people being stopped there following the rules and suspected of drinking and then passing a breathalyzer. Does the Coast Guard really need to be running around giving breathalyzers? is this really thier job? It's fine if they stop someone for wrongdoing and suspect an intoxicated operator but they had not reason to think I was intoxicated other than my passengers were drinking.

What a waste of time and revenue.

·
Registered
151 Posts
QUOTE(slapshot @ Jun 15 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is no wake from the North tip of Belle Isle to the Belle Isle bridge. It is BS that they do not enforce the no wake rule but will randomly stop and give brethalyzers to boaters following the rules. Right here you have two cases of people being stopped there following the rules and suspected of drinking and then passing a breathalyzer. Does the Coast Guard really need to be running around giving breathalyzers? is this really thier job? It's fine if they stop someone for wrongdoing and suspect an intoxicated operator but they had not reason to think I was intoxicated other than my passengers were drinking.

Actually, no wake is full length of Belle Isle, not just to bridge.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I applaud the CG randomly checking for intoxicated boaters, and would have absolutely no problem being stopped by and submitting to the PBT wherever or whenever they wanted. It's that random stop that may just save the life of another boater. Really, what's the big deal..? If your'e not drunk, you have nothing to worry about. I'd rather see a drunk boater taken off the water than an armload of no-wake tickets..

I've been running St Clair for the past 30 years, the drinking and boating is really gettin out of hand out there. I really don't get it either. Folks who would NEVER drink and drive a car don't think twice about getting loaded and driving their boats like A-holes all over the lake. It amazes me.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(jethro @ Jun 15 2009, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've been running St Clair for the past 30 years, the drinking and boating is really gettin out of hand out there. I really don't get it either. Folks who would NEVER drink and drive a car don't think twice about getting loaded and driving their boats like A-holes all over the lake. It amazes me.
Ditto that......It's like a free for all with some people when they get on the water.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On average about 112 people are killed EVERY DAY on the road in alcohol related traffic accidents. Do you think there should be random traffic stops on the road? I think not. Same for the water. If you're not doing anything wrong it's my opinion that you should not be stopped.

·
Registered
236 Posts
QUOTE(LBAS @ Jun 15 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(slapshot @ Jun 15 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is no wake from the North tip of Belle Isle to the Belle Isle bridge. It is BS that they do not enforce the no wake rule but will randomly stop and give brethalyzers to boaters following the rules. Right here you have two cases of people being stopped there following the rules and suspected of drinking and then passing a breathalyzer. Does the Coast Guard really need to be running around giving breathalyzers? is this really thier job? It's fine if they stop someone for wrongdoing and suspect an intoxicated operator but they had not reason to think I was intoxicated other than my passengers were drinking.

Actually, no wake is full length of Belle Isle, not just to bridge.

Well then the you or the CG is wrong. I made it a point to ask them when stopped this weekend because I have heard both. i was told from the bridge and the other CG on the boat agreed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts