Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what exactly you need to be coast guard approved on the water. New boater!!! I had heard you can get checked and receive a sticker so you dont get messed with as much?? Were can you do this at?

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I am sure someone on this site is a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary but, in any case, the Auxiliary conducts inspections regularily around the lake. The inspection is free and no tickets are issued for failures. They simply inspect your boat and tell you how you stand. If needed they will tell you need to do or get to pass. If you pass they will give you a sticker to put on your boat that indicates a compliant boat.

I would contact your local Auxiliary for info on planned inspection sites. Good luck,

Jim

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(chidseyd @ Jun 12 2003, 02:22 PM)Wondering what exactly you need to be coast guard approved on the water. New boater!!! I had heard you can get checked and receive a sticker so you dont get messed with as much?? Were can you do this at?
PM Big Daddy

But I have this link for now

http://www.safetyseal.net/

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(Old Man of the Sea @ Jun 12 2003, 07:51 PM)I am sure someone on this site is a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary but, in any case, the Auxiliary conducts inspections regularily around the lake. The inspection is free and no tickets are issued for failures. They simply inspect your boat and tell you how you stand. If needed they will tell you need to do or get to pass. If you pass they will give you a sticker to put on your boat that indicates a compliant boat.

I would contact your local Auxiliary for info on planned inspection sites. Good luck,

Jim
MR BIG, IS ALSO IN THE COAST GUARD.
PM HIM

I HAD MINE DONE YEAR AGO RIGHT ATTHE SHERRIFF'S STATION ON THE CLINTON RIVER.
NOT SURE IF THEY STILL DO IT THERE OR NOT.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
chidseyd,

A friend and I went fishing out of the Clinton River launch site Saturday and when we came in we were approached by a guy from the Coast Guard Auxiliary in the tie down area. He offered to do an inspection on my boat and, of course, I readily agreed. The inspection was entirely free and there was going to be no penalty if my baot didn't pass. This was all explained to me by the Auxiliary gentelman and he performed it in about five minutes.

As it turned out I passed except for one thing, my flares had just expired. I got my sticker promissing that I would get the flares replaced before I go out again. If the Coast Guard had found that on the water I would have been in big trouble I think.

Anyway, hope you were out there on Saturday and got your inspection the same as I did. It was definitly worth the five minutes.

Jim

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Sorry about all the typos again everyone. Must be one of my "senior moments" again! Why can't I see them before I submit the post?

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey there just wanted to let you know that I am Active duty in the Coast Guard and know Mr. Big also and if anyone has any questions about things like this they can E-mail me at [email protected] or [email protected] thanks Jacob (luckyjake) or they can Contact Coast Guard Station St. Clair Shores at 586-778-3320 or 586-778-0121- or 586-778-0670 and just so you know because I do know for a fact that there are boaters out there that do not know this number that I am about to give you this is for when you are out in the lake and have an emergency only or are reporting some sort of incident to us that you will use this number but our EMERGENCY phone number is 586-778-0590 ! Remember this number and remember it well. lol hopefully you will never have to use it! Safe boating to everyone!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts