Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Come October, I will be looking at an excrutiating daily commute from Shelby Township to the RenCen via a shuttle bus from Lakeside Mall. I was hoping to buy a combination MP3 player and AM/FM radio with headphones to help pass the time each day.

Does anyone know if these even exist? If so, can anyone make any recommendations? What kind of money can I expect to spend?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Those units are around, looked at one by iRiver but I cannot comment as I haven't gotten into anymore detail.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Have not seen one with AM...

but here is a thread I recently started... I just bought one that I love...

only thing I don't like is the amount of memory; 256 megs just isnt' enough...

however, for my purposes, the thing will NEVER skip!!! you may want to look into the hard drive ones with FM tuner...

other mp3 thread

·
Registered
262 Posts
Oops, pauligans is right...nothing out with AM yet that has memory. You can get a AM/FM with CD/MP3 but will have to carry your disks.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
What's AM good for? Too bad they don't come XM!

Bummer deal, Mongo. What if we buy you a laptop? Can we squeeze a little more work out of you? <_<

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
QUOTE(OneSided @ Mar 4 2004, 09:46 PM)Those units are around, looked at one by iRiver but I cannot comment as I haven't gotten into anymore detail.
I got Bikinigirl this one but no AM. Other than that it works good. 256 meg for mp3 and Fm.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have an iRiver. It has an FM tuner, MP3 player, voice record, and line in funtions, as well as equilizers and a bunch of other customizable options. The one I have is 256 mb. I can put about 50 songs on, but some of them are REAL long. So it can hold close to 60-65 normal length songs. I LOVE IT. It was $189 at Best Buy, less a $20 mail in rebate. It runs on 1 AA battery which gives you decent life. It came with the software for your comp, the USB cable for file transfers, an arm band, a strap so you can wear it around your neck, a protective case (similar to one that you would buy for a cell phone so it doesn't get scratched), a line in cable, and headphones. It is real easy to use and navigate and the software to add MP3's is very simple. Honestly, for the price it is hard to touch anything with all the features it has. I strongly recommend it!!!

PM me if you have any other questions. Hope this helped.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
mongo,

get a pda with a memory card and Compact Flash FM tuner. You can find a decent one online for the same you will pay for a dedicated MP3 player AND you will be able to watch video, send and retrieve email (with cell phone dial up), process word docs, write code, play games.....

Mini

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the good feedback.

The AM thing is kinda important for me because I really like listening to my sports talk shows in the morning and afternoon and it would suck if I had to miss them.

·
Registered
843 Posts
The ride isn't really that bad. I drive from Shelby Twp to Ren Cen right now. Am going to go back to taking the bus though, same travel time whether I drive or ride the bus, get to read coming into work and going home. Only bad thing is last bus #530 leaves Lakeside in morning at 7:45 a.m. going straight up Schoenherr and start back from downtown at 4:10 p.m. There are other buses you can take like the #510 it goes Lakeside to Van **** and up. Will probably see you on the bus.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(edeenorog @ Mar 5 2004, 11:11 AM)The ride isn't really that bad. I drive from Shelby Twp to Ren Cen right now. Am going to go back to taking the bus though, same travel time whether I drive or ride the bus, get to read coming into work and going home. Only bad thing is last bus #530 leaves Lakeside in morning at 7:45 a.m. going straight up Schoenherr and start back from downtown at 4:10 p.m. There are other buses you can take like the #510 it goes Lakeside to Van **** and up. Will probably see you on the bus.
Actually, The shuttle that I will be taking is a private shuttle service that GM charters only for its employees, so we don't have to worry about making a bunch of stops. It will pick us up at Lakeside Mall and drop us off at the front door of the RenCen with no stops in between.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts