Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called Comcast looking into digital cable and was floored by my bill going up over $20 bucks a month.

Has anybody successfully talked to these clowns to get their bill lowered or at least get more service for what your paying?

I would love to change to WOW but the HCN association will not allow another cable company in the complex.

HCN will allow us to sign up for Dish Network but then I lose my high speed Internet.

Any similar experiences?

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
We did last May.

We have both cable TV and internet. Our bill was just over $100 a month. I got it down to like $68 by threatening to switch to something cheaper. It was only supposed to be for one year though, so I'll have to see if they raise it back up in May.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
You have to call and go to the cancellatin department, then tell them you want to cancel because you are switching to a cheaper service, then they will lower it so you will stay. The sales people won't do it, so I had to threaten and it worked. dropped from $120ish to $80ish

·
Registered
70 Posts
Rob,

I did the same thing. I actually switched to WOW but came back to Comcast. Had problems and WOW seemed slower. If you threaten to cancel or switch they will lower the price. Even though they do not allow WOW at HCN they probably will not know it. It is worth a shot.
The other part I hated was changing email systems that is a downside.

that is my .02

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
I've got 4 digital boxes, 1 HD box and an internet connection & pay $120/mo.

I have to call quarterly & re-negotiate.

Call (800) 427-7662 & ask to speak to Ruby (ext. 3022) in the rentention department. Tell her about this great deal you got from DISHNET or whomever & give her the price of their promotional offer (read: the price YOU WOULD LIKE to pay). Tell her it includes ALL THEIR SERVICES & CHANNELS to try out!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I had the same thing w/Comcast Digital Cable,
From 45.82/mo. to 49.41/mo.
Called as if to cancel go elsewhere and Suddenly they had a "Special"
Now i pay $33.90/month

No internet/home computer (yet) though.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
We have Comcast digital HDVT sort of cable going on at the Manana household... our bill is only like $60.00 month... Considering cancelling the pkg. we have though, b/c out of the 10 differenet HBO's NONE of them have a good thing on!!!!

G

·
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Jan 8 2004, 12:19 PM)You have to call and go to the cancellatin department, then tell them you want to cancel because you are switching to a cheaper service, then they will lower it so you will stay. The sales people won't do it, so I had to threaten and it worked. dropped from $120ish to $80ish
i wonder if that same trick will work on WOW.
i had scam-cast , never again.
daial-up was faster. those poor guys were at my house everyother week, they never found out why it was sooooo slooow.
plus the darn squirrles kept chewing thu the loop on the pole in the yard.
wow has been great for me. fast,reliable no worries.
it just went up 10$ a month, i'd like something more for the 10$ know what i mean

G

·
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Jan 8 2004, 12:19 PM)You have to call and go to the cancellatin department, then tell them you want to cancel because you are switching to a cheaper service, then they will lower it so you will stay. The sales people won't do it, so I had to threaten and it worked. dropped from $120ish to $80ish
i wonder if that same trick will work on WOW.
i had scam-cast , never again.
daial-up was faster. those poor guys were at my house everyother week, they never found out why it was sooooo slooow.
plus the darn squirrles kept chewing thu the loop on the pole in the yard.
wow has been great for me. fast,reliable no worries.
it just went up 10$ a month, i'd like something more for the 10$ know what i mean

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
That is so funny that you brought this up. I was just telling Kevin the other day that I was floored on how much Comcast is charging and I was going to make the "negotiation" call this weekend. I opened our bill and we are paying 140.00 per month for two digital cable boxes and for the Internet. I guess I will be calling the cancellation department tonight!!

Thanks for the tips!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Jan 8 2004, 11:37 AM)QUOTE(Capt'n Rob @ Jan 8 2004, 11:15 AM)
HCN will allow us to sign up for Dish Network but then I lose my high speed Internet.
or has anyone tried this as an alternative? any experiences or looked into it at all?

http://www.directduo.com/default.cfm

Directduo from the DirectTV people is satellite internet broadband.
I just checked out that link for satellite TV & broadband.

Unless I'm mistaken, it would cost me over $400 for installation, then another $150/mo for service!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
From listening to everyone "grumble" about cable bills and the prices I am hearing. I think that I won't have cable at my house for a while. I am not paying that kind of dough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been calling WOW for a year trying to get them into HW and they say they are not expanding until the network in MI is stable. Give me a break. I want to start a cable company and offer service to cities that only have comcast.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE(JABBERJAWZ @ Jan 8 2004, 01:37 PM)From listening to everyone "grumble" about cable bills and the prices I am hearing. I think that I won't have cable at my house for a while. I am not paying that kind of dough.
Jabber - I planned not to have cable when i moved into my condo (over 3 yrs ago), however had zero TV reception. So had to get it, just basic comcast digi alone (one box) $34 month. <_<

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
well I tried it and went all the way to scheduling my cancellation date with comcast and the BEST they would do for me was give me digital cable versus analog and the disney channel for $7 a month less that I was originally paying.

I still pay those guys clost to a hundie a month for high speed internet and high def cable (one box)

total rip off if ya ask me!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Great topic!!!

As soon as I saw Instigator's post with the phone #, I called and my bill is decreasing from $86 (cabel & internet) to $55 for the same service.

This just paid for almost a tank of gas for the summer

Discount on internet good for 6 months and cable for one year. So I'll have to call back in June.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I called Comcast and told them I'm switching to WOW unless they can match WOW's prices (saving me about $45 month) and they said no.
Wow had me hooked up two days later and said I had a price guarantee (no increases) for at least 1 year.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(BoatChic @ Jan 8 2004, 02:59 PM)QUOTE(JABBERJAWZ @ Jan 8 2004, 01:37 PM) From listening to everyone "grumble" about cable bills and the prices I am hearing. I think that I won't have cable at my house for a while. I am not paying that kind of dough.
Jabber - I planned not to have cable when i moved into my condo (over 3 yrs ago), however had zero TV reception. So had to get it, just basic comcast digi alone (one box) $34 month.

Sounds like if I get cable, I will definitely go the cheap route.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I HATE COMCAST, they're installers are stupid and had to come to my house twice, so I cancelled and signed up with WOW when it first came to Clinton Township. $49.95 for internet cable and TV, but no movie channels.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts