Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

company from west coast

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  muskiebobsr 
#1 ·
Have a couple of brothers coming in from Californa to try for Muskie on Fly Rods and other methods of casting for Muskie. I have 5 days to get them into a fish sure hope it happens Hows the fisjing going??? Haven't been out. Bob

See less See more
#3 ·
It wasn't in the bay, a nice one on near buoy 28 while trolling for walleyes, had a visual but the harness broke when the fish decided to take a left turn away from the boat.

#4 ·
Bob, recently I've gotten fish out from 11 mile in 12-13 fow and out from Grassy Island (none legal). I've had follows from bigger fish off the sand bar at Sand Creek point and from one very nice fish right out of the beds you showed me west of the North Channel. A friend from work reports that he's gotten into fish on his trolling run west of Strawberry all the way around in front of the Middle Channel, but that was about 10 days ago.

Don't catch 'em all, Bob!

#6 ·
Hi Muskie Bob , I met you last winter at one of the boat shows and talked you into placing a ad in the MOMC year book . I have next week off for vacation and if you are interested I can take you and your brothers out for some trolling on my boat if you would like? It would have to be the 16th , 17th or 18th next week . the better fishing for me has been on the Canadian side of the pond so you would need correct lic. Tight lines , Bob

#7 ·
Thanks all for you help and offers. Bob

#8 ·
Weekly report on this weeks fishing. We are going out tomorrow for Sherwood and Phil's last day and it will be a short one because they are going back to California. Monday Sherwood caught the first Walleye of his like. Then he lost a Muskie of well over 30 pounds I caught a 6 pound Pike and lost 2 Muskie one was well over legal the other 3 foot. Phil caught a Pike. Tuesday had light hits from 5 Muskie caught Pike and Bass. Wed missed 4 Muskie caught Pike, Bass and Walleye. Thursday we caught several Pike up to 10 pounds and Sherwood landed a 4 pound Smallie and a nice Pike on his fly rod. I also had a 30 plus pound Muskie bump the red eye 2 times and never opened its mouth. Murphy's Law took over.The only day the wind would allow fly fishing. Three mornings of heavy fog. We have had a blast.
Bob

#9 ·
Well our last day of fishing ended early as the wind really hit big time. I nailed a nice big Pike of well over 13 pounds on a red eye. We saw a Muskie come straight up out of the water and stand on her tail. It was an awesome sight. She had to be over 55 inches or more. Gave us a real thrill to see a fish that big by the boat.

#11 ·
They were using 11 weight rods. Nailed Smallies and Pike but no Muskie on the fly rods. Had a couple on the bait casters that toook super shads anf two others on buck tails. Had a great time and they are coming back next year for another five days. Bob

#13 ·
Big streamers and the colors where yellow and black striped and also some where barred. Bob

#14 ·
Hey Bob,

Did these guys use sinking tip lines or did they stay on top of water column?

Did these guys have any MUSKY follows?

Where you guys fishing deep or shallow?

Where these guys using an fast retrieve or random stripping retrieve?

Don't mind the questions Bob, I need feedback from other MUSKY hunters trying to take the monsters by flyrod!

#15 ·
Sinking tips. We fished shallow early then moved deeper later. They tried both styles of retrieves. Had 1 nice fish follow on the random stripping retreive. Mid 40 inch fish but see refused to take it. It was quite the thrill for someone who had never seen a Muskie before. To find out how I fished for them with a Fly Rod you will have to buy my new book that will come out later this yearLOL LOL
Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.