Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I saw someone on the ice there Friday morning. this year I'm hoping to fish this spot. Anyone want to fish here, drop me a message and maybe we can hookup and fish together. When ice gets thicker, I can drag my bigger shanty out and I will have room for 1 other in it. I have all gear we need, just bring some extra spikes, wax worms, minnows or a can of propane for the heater.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
QUOTE(Wheezer @ Dec 21 2009, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I saw someone on the ice there Friday morning. this year I'm hoping to fish this spot. Anyone want to fish here, drop me a message and maybe we can hookup and fish together. When ice gets thicker, I can drag my bigger shanty out and I will have room for 1 other in it. I have all gear we need, just bring some extra spikes, wax worms, minnows or a can of propane for the heater.

Gonna try there tomorow morning hopefully

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got a chance to hit compass point on Saturday. I was convinced the only fishing I would get a chance to do was going to be from the dock. After the rain, and getting a chance to see the chocolate bay with no ice, I wasn't getting my hopes up for a good day of fishing either. Once I arrived though, I was pleased to see someone was fishing on the ice. After checking it out, I had a solid 4 inches of Ice. The fishing started out real slow, but once I found them, we were able to get a few nice ones. All together I iced about 30 blugills and 2 rock bass. A couple of my buddies iced some crappies, but they were to small. Everything considered, ended up being a great day!

P.S. Is there anyone who could direct me to bouviay bridge?? Sorry for the mispelling.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
QUOTE(sweedishpimp @ Dec 28 2009, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Finally got a chance to hit compass point on Saturday. I was convinced the only fishing I would get a chance to do was going to be from the dock. After the rain, and getting a chance to see the chocolate bay with no ice, I wasn't getting my hopes up for a good day of fishing either. Once I arrived though, I was pleased to see someone was fishing on the ice. After checking it out, I had a solid 4 inches of Ice. The fishing started out real slow, but once I found them, we were able to get a few nice ones. All together I iced about 30 blugills and 2 rock bass. A couple of my buddies iced some crappies, but they were to small. Everything considered, ended up being a great day!

P.S. Is there anyone who could direct me to bouviay bridge?? Sorry for the mispelling.

the bridge is farther up the road(29) from compass point. just past the dnr access in fair haven, past the light at palms rd, can't miss the bridge. if your going to fish there, most guys park just a hair past the bridge along the road to your left or they just park by the raft (on old **** road) on the right. the raft is on Bouvier bay, 2 of the canals there are the bouvier bridge marina.

·
Registered
76 Posts
QUOTE(sweedishpimp @ Dec 28 2009, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Finally got a chance to hit compass point on Saturday. I was convinced the only fishing I would get a chance to do was going to be from the dock. After the rain, and getting a chance to see the chocolate bay with no ice, I wasn't getting my hopes up for a good day of fishing either. Once I arrived though, I was pleased to see someone was fishing on the ice. After checking it out, I had a solid 4 inches of Ice. The fishing started out real slow, but once I found them, we were able to get a few nice ones. All together I iced about 30 blugills and 2 rock bass. A couple of my buddies iced some crappies, but they were to small. Everything considered, ended up being a great day!

I always thought the limit on gills were 25? Including possession?

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
QUOTE(bluegiller @ Dec 28 2009, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(sweedishpimp @ Dec 28 2009, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Finally got a chance to hit compass point on Saturday. I was convinced the only fishing I would get a chance to do was going to be from the dock. After the rain, and getting a chance to see the chocolate bay with no ice, I wasn't getting my hopes up for a good day of fishing either. Once I arrived though, I was pleased to see someone was fishing on the ice. After checking it out, I had a solid 4 inches of Ice. The fishing started out real slow, but once I found them, we were able to get a few nice ones. All together I iced about 30 blugills and 2 rock bass. A couple of my buddies iced some crappies, but they were to small. Everything considered, ended up being a great day!

I always thought the limit on gills were 25? Including possession?

yeah but we fishermen always tell slightly exagerated stories. 30 is really angler talk for 25

·
Registered
281 Posts
I myself don't keep every fish I bring to ice, I only keep what is of right size and limit. I don't read that as him keeping them all, just bringing that many fish to ice, as in catching that many.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(RU4REEL @ Dec 28 2009, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(sweedishpimp @ Dec 19 2009, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Last year was phenomenal for me at Compass. Anyone have any reports?

I haven't fished there yet, but want to. What is the deal with parking and access as, in where and how?

When you pull into the lot stay to the right. As of last week there was a big boat in the middle of the drive. There is room to slide past the boat and park off to the right. It would be really cool if you see any garbage to help pick it up. So far so good, but its early, and last year we had some real slobs out there. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
When you pull into the lot stay to the right. As of last week there was a big boat in the middle of the drive. There is room to slide past the boat and park off to the right. It would be really cool if you see any garbage to help pick it up. So far so good, but its early, and last year we had some real slobs out there. Good luck.
[/quote]

I always pic it up after going to geno's last year and seeing all the cig buts everywhere i understand why they dont want people fishing there. I am a smoker and its easy to put your buts in the sled or a 20 ounce bottle. Its always better to leave a spot cleaner than it was when you got there

sweedishpimp was you there sunday evening

·
Registered
76 Posts
QUOTE(bluegiller @ Dec 28 2009, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(sweedishpimp @ Dec 28 2009, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Finally got a chance to hit compass point on Saturday. I was convinced the only fishing I would get a chance to do was going to be from the dock. After the rain, and getting a chance to see the chocolate bay with no ice, I wasn't getting my hopes up for a good day of fishing either. Once I arrived though, I was pleased to see someone was fishing on the ice. After checking it out, I had a solid 4 inches of Ice. The fishing started out real slow, but once I found them, we were able to get a few nice ones. All together I iced about 30 blugills and 2 rock bass. A couple of my buddies iced some crappies, but they were to small. Everything considered, ended up being a great day!

My bad, it says all together 30 gills were caught, which means just that. I'm sure we are allowed to catch as many as we can, so I should keep my mouth shut next time before I get myself in trouble. Sorry for assuming anything and I hope to not come off on the wrong foot with anyone. My apologies.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sweedishpimp was you there sunday evening
[/quote]

No, unfortunatley, I only got to fish on Saturday morning. I usally get 1 day a week, so I try to make the most of it.
With some luck and a little persuation though, I am hoping to fish Compass Saturday, and Lake Erie Metropark Sunday.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(Gump @ Dec 30 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>where is compass point ive never even heard of it?

If you know where the Fairhaven launch is, then it would be west south west of the launch. It pretty close to the Citgo gas station there. If you plan on heading out there, I will be in the Ice cube shanty. My brother in law will be right next to me in the frabill, looks like mine. We will be there all day Saturday, feel free to stop by. I will gladly share any tips that might help you get a bucket full!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts