1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Does not apply to Americans...

Q. What if I don't live in Canada, but boat there?

A. Non-residents only need to obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card if they are operating their powered boat in Canadian waters for more than 45 consecutive days or if the boat they are operating is registered or licensed in Canada (this includes rented boats). Boater Education Cards or equivalent certifications are recognized in Canada. Proper identification should be kept on board at all times to provide proof of residency.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I think there is something about anchoring also.

h2o

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Sep 13 2009, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If only the Michigan would require boaters to have a license to operate... I'm waiting for that day.

It really wouldn't change anything just look at people who have licenses and drive cars. If they make you get a boating license here you still will have idiots drinking and driving, and running through a group of boats wide open and on plane. Laws are only followed by responsible individuals and a boating license wouldn't do anything to slow idiots down or stop them from breaking the law. JMO

·
Registered
312 Posts
http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/...eratorfaq.htm#h

QUOTEDo the Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations apply to non-residents?

The Regulations apply to non-residents if:

They operate their pleasure craft in Canadian waters for more than 44 consecutive days or,
They operate a pleasure craft that is licensed or registered in Canada (including rented or chartered boats).
The Regulations do not apply to non-residents who operate their pleasure craft (licensed in a country other than Canada) in Canadian waters for less than 45 consecutive days. Please note that a proof of residence will be required on board at all times.

If you require more information on how Canadian requirements apply to non-residents visit the Requirements for Foreign Recreational Boaters In Canadian Waters.

You Don't need COPC unless you do the above.

QUOTEWhat is acceptable proof of competency for non-residents?

For non-residents, proof of competency can take one of three forms:

A Pleasure Craft Operator Card;
A completed boat rental safety checklist (for power-driven rental boats); or,
An operator card or equivalent which meets the requirements of their state or country.

If you are a Michigan resident, Michigan Law states "Those 16 years of age or older may operate any boat on the waters of Michigan." This would meet the equivalent stated in the Canadian law. So, You just need proof of residence and you are good.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Sep 13 2009, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Sep 13 2009, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If only the Michigan would require boaters to have a license to operate... I'm waiting for that day.

It really wouldn't change anything just look at people who have licenses and drive cars. If they make you get a boating license here you still will have idiots drinking and driving, and running through a group of boats wide open and on plane. Laws are only followed by responsible individuals and a boating license wouldn't do anything to slow idiots down or stop them from breaking the law. JMO

In general I agree with you, but if it helps to inform just a few people, then it's worth it in my eyes.

·
Registered
281 Posts
lets not pin it on pleasure craft only, We had some idiot this morning in his bass boat blaze right past us in the N. channel at 100 gazillion miles per hour only to stop 200 or so feet away just east of the island!!! To be honest, yes I see my fair share of pleasure boaters who should be lined up for the firing squad but what really gets my blood boiling is when another fellow angler does the same crap!!!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
QUOTE(thor450mx @ Sep 13 2009, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>lets not pin it on pleasure craft only, We had some idiot this morning in his bass boat blaze right past us in the N. channel at 100 gazillion miles per hour only to stop 200 or so feet away just east of the island!!! To be honest, yes I see my fair share of pleasure boaters who should be lined up for the firing squad but what really gets my blood boiling is when another fellow angler does the same crap!!!

Fishing boat--pleasure craft= the same thing. Both power driven boats that are used non-commercial.

·
Registered
631 Posts
QUOTE(h2o @ Sep 13 2009, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think there is something about anchoring also.

h2o

QUOTE(walleye mike @ Sep 13 2009, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(h2o @ Sep 13 2009, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think there is something about anchoring also.

h2o

Greg, I think they now let you achor without reporting anywhere. Thought that was reported earlier this spring.

As we were driving back from Canadian waters Saturday I was stopped by a Sheriff's boat just before crossing back into US waters. Was questioned extensivley about our travels, including if we had docked or anchored anywhere in Canadian waters and what marina my boat was docked at. We did not dock or anchor, even had to explain where we fished (trolling for muskies). It was a border patrol inspection. After checking registration & I.D.'s they let us go on our way. The officers were professional & courteous and they heard they were catching them at the Thames River. Bottom Line - they still want to know if you anchored as of 9-12-09.

·
Registered
22,946 Posts
QUOTE(lance1161 @ Sep 13 2009, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...

As we were driving back from Canadian waters Saturday I was stopped by a Sheriff's boat just before crossing back into US waters. Was questioned extensivley about our travels, including if we had docked or anchored anywhere in Canadian waters and what marina my boat was docked at. We did not dock or anchor, even had to explain where we fished (trolling for muskies). It was a border patrol inspection. After checking registration & I.D.'s they let us go on our way. The officers were professional & courteous and they heard they were catching them at the Thames River. Bottom Line - they still want to know if you anchored as of 9-12-09.
We saw what appeared to be a similar situation last weekend. We were heading up the freighter channel, and about 3 or 4 miles north of the Detroit River a Sheriff was just sitting there. After we passed him, he began follow us up the channel. About mid LSC, he stopped following us and stopped a boat heading from Canadian waters.

Wonder if they ever look at your GPS tracks? Pretty easy to see if / where anchored.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Sep 13 2009, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Sep 13 2009, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Sep 13 2009, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If only the Michigan would require boaters to have a license to operate... I'm waiting for that day.

In general I agree with you, but if it helps to inform just a few people, then it's worth it in my eyes.

I agree with that. At least one less idiot on the water would be nice. But we need not bring this up to granholm or the secretary of state if they think they can make money they will do it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.