Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I brought this up before but it's become a real issue now...

Ever since I had my hard drive replaced I CANNOT install my USB driver for my Sony digital camera!!

I use the original disk that came with the camera, go through ALL the setup steps, reboot as instructed and get the message that the installation is complete. HOWEVER, it does not register that the driver is actually installed. I check the device manager and it's not there. I plug the USB cable in and it does not even recognize it being plugged in.

I downloaded the driver (20 different times, from three different sites) and went through the install process again and again with NO luck!!!

I also updated my windows patch/driver updates from the Microsoft site, figuring since I basically am starting with a new harddrive, whatever patches were there before are gone now. This is because Best Buy could not re-install Windows ME when they put the new harddrive in, since they don't have a copy of it anymore (yeah right!). Anyways, it's under warranty (extended) till the first of September. But I don't want to take it to Best Buy for fear of being without a computer for a couple weeks.

Anyone have any ideas? I posted in a couple sites online, but had no luck. BigDaddy? Shandog? Mongo? ANYONE?? Anyone? Bueller?

Thanks!

·
12,052 Posts
When they put the hard drive in they knocked off the cable to the usb port

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Max - HP Pavillion with AMD 900 Mhz

Hammer - No $hit, that might work, only problem is, it should still recognize the software I'm adding.

Bassneck, I think I also tried it that way, but will try it again now.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(Campari @ Aug 12 2003, 05:40 PM)Hammer - No $hit, that might work, only problem is, it should still recognize the software I'm adding.
Not if the device doesn't exist.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
QUOTE(Campari @ Aug 12 2003, 06:40 PM)Max - HP Pavillion with AMD 900 Mhz

Hammer - No $hit, that might work, only problem is, it should still recognize the software I'm adding.

Bassneck, I think I also tried it that way, but will try it again now.
I had the sme problem with Sony . I got a driver from Sony Website.
Original Cd did't work on my PC

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
How many USB ports do you have?

Do you have anything else that connects to USB and, if so, is it recognized?

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(hammer @ Aug 12 2003, 06:41 PM)QUOTE(Campari @ Aug 12 2003, 05:40 PM) Hammer - No $hit, that might work, only problem is, it should still recognize the software I'm adding.
Not if the device doesn't exist.
Hmmm, ok....

But my device manager shows:
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

Twice each, exactly as above.

Max - The last version of software I downloaded was from Sony's website!!! Was camera do you have? I have a Sony Cyber Shot (trying to find it, wife put it somewhere, I'll post the model # in a few).

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Aug 12 2003, 06:46 PM)How many USB ports do you have?

Do you have anything else that connects to USB and, if so, is it recognized?
I have two up front and one in the back of the CPU.

I have a USB joystick, I'm trying to find the install software for it to try to see if it registers...

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Max, I found it. SOny Cyber Shot DSC-P50

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Have you UNinstalled everything before REinstalling it.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Aug 12 2003, 06:58 PM)Have you UNinstalled everything before REinstalling it.
Ok, I was worng. I have two in front, two in back. I just did the joystick install and it did not recognize it when it was in the front!!! I connected it to one of the USB ports in back and it completely installed.

I'm gonna try the same with the camera now, though I thought I already tried it in the back ports before....

·
12,052 Posts
back ports are probably on motherboard, front might be on cable.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WAHOOOOO!!!!

Thanks Hammer and Snowmaker! Hammer, you must be right, they must have disconnected the front, 'cause the backs work fine! Thanks a lot you guys, I can finally upload my pics from the last 3 months!!!!

I owe you guys both a few beers! You saved me a ton-o-time!

What a F'n doofus I am sometimes. If I had any hair I'd swear it was blonde!

·
12,052 Posts
Like I always said.....I'll fix your computer for a small fee. If someone else touched it first, the fee is double.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(hammer @ Aug 12 2003, 07:30 PM)Like I always said.....I'll fix your computer for a small fee. If someone else touched it first, the fee is double.

Geez, no $hit! Leave it to the experts to fix one problem and create another.

Sounds like another set of "experts" I know...

*COUGHmarinemechanicsCOUGH*

Sorry, a little pent-up frustration.

Thanks again.

And by the way, Hammer, I spoke to The Wiz Saturday in The Gauntlet about yours and mine little "conversation" Friday night!!!

I'll see you at the Metro bike rack mo-fo!!!

Or at the Moot with a beer for your help!

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(Campari @ Aug 12 2003, 06:39 PM)And by the way, Hammer, I spoke to The Wiz Saturday in The Gauntlet about yours and mine little "conversation" Friday night!!!
??????????????? I wasn't around Friday. Heard Wiz had a party though.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Oh, I hate hooking up the little, tiny cables for the front (on case)USB....Instead of one jack for each one they are 4 pin sized cables that have to be plugged correctly unto the motherboard.....My fingers give me a hard time so I end up using tweezers <_<

Glad you are up and running and posting pics now, Camp!

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(hammer @ Aug 12 2003, 07:52 PM)QUOTE(Campari @ Aug 12 2003, 06:39 PM) And by the way, Hammer, I spoke to The Wiz Saturday in The Gauntlet about yours and mine little "conversation" Friday night!!!
??????????????? I wasn't around Friday. Heard Wiz had a party though.
Umm, yeah that's what I heard, too. <_<

1 - 20 of 21 Posts