Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the high speed internet through sbc ameritech and mt internet is far from high speed does anyone experience this problem what causes this?

So called high speed
Nothing is like the good ol days

·
Registered
485 Posts
isn't that DSL? There are different levels of speed you can subscribe to with a cable modem too, ask you provider, it just cost more.

·
Registered
248 Posts
QUOTE(Amelia @ Jan 13 2004, 03:36 PM)isn't that DSL? There are different levels of speed you can subscribe to with a cable modem too, ask you provider, it just cost more.
There are different levels of speed, but I think the real fast services are around $75/month!! That was a while ago now though, it may have come down.

Here's a link to test your bandwidth (speed). I got a rating of about 500, but my service is through U of M's network. Maybe someone that has comcast can run it for a comparison to what you get? The results will vary according to the amount of traffic on the network, especially cable modems.

Bandwidth Test

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
i have comcast and it is great, no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If you have SBC DSL, give SBC a call, they will help you reconfigure your computer. Also try unpluging the power supply from your 2 wire modum for a min. or two then plug it back in. Our compter (DSL) was running slow untill I did these two things. Now it runs super fast. One other thing to keep in mind is if you live far from their servers the system runs slower. Iam told they have one in the Utica/Northeast Sterling Htgs area.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Speed
1.3 megabits per second

Communications 1.3 megabits per second
Storage 154.6 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 6.6 seconds
Subjective rating: Good

·
Registered
314 Posts
2.2 Megabits/second.

Comcast just increased their speed. I'm pretty happy with it now.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(daileyinterest @ Jan 13 2004, 04:10 PM)If you have SBC DSL, give SBC a call, they will help you reconfigure your computer. Also try unpluging the power supply from your 2 wire modum for a min. or two then plug it back in. Our compter (DSL) was running slow untill I did these two things. Now it runs super fast. One other thing to keep in mind is if you live far from their servers the system runs slower. Iam told they have one in the Utica/Northeast Sterling Htgs area.

Good Luck!!
Thank you

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I pay $100.00 a month for my sevice you would think that it would be golden.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(Kat @ Jan 13 2004, 09:20 PM)I pay $100.00 a month for my sevice you would think that it would be golden.
WHAT?!?!? I pay $24.95 for SBC-Yahoo DSL. Call them ASAP and change your rate.

(I suppose I should add that for me they are just an ISP with 7 email accounts and custom home pages. If they are providing you with other services then it might be a different story.)

·
Registered
248 Posts
QUOTE(rerun @ Jan 13 2004, 11:15 PM)1.7 the second time......I just keep going and going and going

If you run the test more than once, it will always be faster the second time because the files are in your browser cache.

When I quoted the $75/month in my original post, I was talking about a different service (T1 LAN) sorry. Dailyinterest is correct regarding DSL and the distance from the server. My server is only a few hunderd yards from my apartment, so the speed is very good.

I'm now connected to comcast on my laptop, same computer and network as earlier, and ran the test. I got 2.6 Mbps, but it's late and there are probably not as many people on their network.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
248 Posts
QUOTE(Kat @ Jan 13 2004, 08:20 PM)I pay $100.00 a month for my sevice you would think that it would be golden.
WHOA
For this kind of money, the pages should load before you even think about them!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I use Wide Open West and they have different levels of speeds too. My speed was 4.6 meg and that is pretty good speed for me because I use a router to network my son's pc as well

·
Registered
248 Posts
Wow, that is a good speed. I just tried Comcast on a routered PC and got 3 meg. How much does Wide OPen charge? It's probably cheaper if you have their cable.

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
Speed
2.6 megabits per second

Communications 2.6 megabits per second
Storage 317.9 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 3.2 seconds
Subjective rating Great

Like I said the only problem is the price.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts