Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I heard about 2 sunken barges from the 1930's that are posing a hazzard to boaters. They are located in Conger Bay and for the life of me I can't find it on a chart.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Don't quote me but I believe Conger Bay to be the bay right in front of the old Grawoods Bar. Never heard of any barges in there but did hear of someone that got very very hurt while jet boating thru there. The place is littered with old tree stumps and other junk. They were messing around on the jet boat and hit one of the stumps just under the water line. One person was ejected from the boat and had to be rushed to the hospital. This was around 4 year ago.

I don't know why anyone would go in there in the first place. Unless you had a house back there...in which case I would hope you'd know the do's and don't of the bay. I thought it was quite shallow and most people I know stopped using the channel comming into Venice shores there and instead go around to Mac & Rays channel.

Of course all this gossip is null and void if that area is not even named Conger Bay like I thought.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think Rerun is right. I always called Conger Bay the area just noth of the Clinton River. There is an Island out there my friends used to call "Sand Island" (???) that used to be a popular spot for all the Jet Ski's back when the water was higher.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
yes, conger bay was in front of what was garwoods.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
If you use the cut on the river verses going out of the mouth to the lake, there are 2 barges under water,
with rerod and wood posts on them.

As you come out between the open area in the breakwall going out to the lake, they are on your port side.(towards the island/old garwoods location)
They are aprox. 50-100 yrds off the to the left, aprox 50 yrds from shore i believe (aprox.) can't remeber exact location hence approx. but they are there, used to get marked with milk jugs each year.

Closer to garwoods old location, there is a huge rock just under the water, should be visible with the low water.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The area that Fast~Eddie mentions is the area where I remember them. I used to fish that area and I remember them being under 1-2 ft. of water. If I'm not mistaken, there's a dredged channel along the shoreline in that area and the barges are located on the lake-side and parallel to the channel. It's been a couple of years, but I thought then, that this could be some dangerous stuff if you didn't know they were there.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I think maybe this shows the two barges. It appears to be two rectangular objects in the water just north of the 3 trees on shore. does this seem about right.

SEE PIC BELOW

Possible location of sunken barges

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(VinceR @ Oct 10 2003, 06:20 PM)The area that Fast~Eddie mentions is the area where I remember them. I used to fish that area and I remember them being under 1-2 ft. of water. If I'm not mistaken, there's a dredged channel along the shoreline in that area and the barges are located on the lake-side and parallel to the channel. It's been a couple of years, but I thought then, that this could be some dangerous stuff if you didn't know they were there.
Vince is right about the location and there is a small channel on the shoresideof those barges, for access to the homes. I had a friend that used to live right by the barges and I have been back there by boat. Be VERY careful around there because it is very shallow.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Thats what I'm thinking, from Fast Eddie's and VinceR's description.

And if you look at your charts you will see the same rectangles in that exact spot, there not labeled though.

G

·
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Oct 13 2003, 07:28 PM)We used to jet ski out there all the time and I don't remember seeing them
Then again, the water was very high back then

used to jet ski out there?????????

C'mon, get out there again. Re-visit your youth. Don't let the years tell you what to do!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I certainly gota good lesson on Conger Bay and the 2 submerged barges.
I'll just stay clear for now.

G

·
I know there is Conger Bay Drive, but are there signs over there calling the bay, Conger Bay? Because it is called Belvidere Bay on the charts. No Conger Bay to be seen.

And also, some boaters claim to go up to Munchies Bay. Where is it? Lat-Long?
And why is that not on the charts either?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It's not actually called munchies bay but it is a bay and there is a old restaurant called munchies it's located in bouvier bay

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
That is the location.
Be very careful there.....there are railings on the barges too
made out of 4x4 or 6x6's with steel rod going through, all busted up of course, but if you were jetski'n and fell off in that area could be tragic.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor @ Oct 14 2003, 10:02 AM)C'mon, get out there again. Re-visit your youth. Don't let the years tell you what to do!
Rich only has a stand-up ski....those days are done for me....too much work. Now a sit down I could handle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts